Yet another inital timing question

-

Airdwayne

Reaction score
So for weeks, ive been searching for ways to set my inital timing. ive increased until it kicks back on the starter, even though it hasnt yet. advanced till i got the highest vacuum, about 18 to 19 on the guage. end result is between 24 and 26 degrees BTDC. i have FBO limiter plate and springs. havent test drove it cause i need to top off the tranny fluid, brake fluid and the wife took the electronic gate key card. currently the FBO plate would go on the 10 slot for total of 34. Would 24 to 26 be too high for a from what i know stock 318 with only mods that im aware of is and Edelbrock SP2P-318 intake and Holley 4160?

1973 Dart Swinger
318, Auto
Lokar Cables
Shot vacuum advance can, new one coming soon..

Thanks in advance, no pun...

And any advice on the all in rpm would be great. This car would just be the car i drive if i dont want to drive my wifes mazda. around town, 5 miles or so to work, etc.

On what sounds to be a moderately stock motor, without a big cam, im not sure why you think you need so much initial. Especially on a daily driver.Having said that, as long as your total is at or around 34, you "should" be ok. Take it for a ride.
For what your doing, I would shoot more towards a resonable 14-16 initial with a total of around 34. As far as advance ? Looks like you have a Dart, I would look for all in around 2500-3000. No reason to ring the poor thing out, when your not going for time slips.

Thats exactly the reason for this post. the most ive seen someone on here run a 318 at is 20 but thats with a mild cam. The reason i am doing this is cause i had a hesitation from low speed to wot. months ive worked on the carb and accelerator pump. back to basics.. timing then carb. another thing ive read is the rpms should pretty much remain constant when putting in gear from park or neutral.

That's what I'm going with. Just got the limiter plate in the 18 degree slot. About to set my reluctor gap and see how things go. Went with the silver spring shooting for all in at 2750

And when you get tired of futzing with it, put that holley in front of your door.
Bolt on a little Ede 600, and kiss your bog away. Let the games begin !!! HaHa.

I would like to get an edelbrock. Looking at 1400 or 1405 or so. Would like an electric chock. Can't seem to find on in the for sale ads in my budget or reasonably priced on eBay. Looked into something spreadbore as is the manifold. Got the dizzy back in and fired up. Set it 16 initial. Don't want to look at total just yet. Car alarms going off just revving it. Tomorrow I'll take it out. Ecology is having 50% off tomorrow. Thanks again guys.

-
Back