You guys (or girls) on here that work on this newer stuff every day, my hat's off to you.

-
Pishta is 100% correct. I'm retired supervisor for a large crane manufacturer. Sat in a meeting one day with a room full of engineers. I asked them how many did their own mechanical work on their cars, and cursed the guy that designed the stupidity of where something was placed or what had to be removed for a simple job. Quite a few. Then why not make things simple here, instead of removing the engine to replace the starter, or raising the engine to replace oil filter. The reply was basically each worked on their own specific area and didn't correspond with the next guy in line to see figment or workability. Each in their own little world. Job security.

A couple weeks ago replaced an locked a/c compressor in an 07 Ford tortous.

Almost no room to get to it but I had done this before and you learn little tricks to save time after you do similar jobs a few times..

An hour 15 of wrench time when the book says more.

Took longer to get hands on the new part from the parts store

20191223_125620.jpg

20191223_105424.jpg

20191222_174350.jpg

20191222_174345.jpg

More serviceable products means faster turn around in the shop.
Easy repairs are left to the handy owners. As it should be. Less time in shop also reflects on owners repair cost.

Read somewhere about a cartridge,oil and filter all in one.
Flip a lever, pop out used oil and filter and snap in a new one. Done. Can you imagine the price tag on that??
I bought a big weed trimmer on wheels, 6.5 hp briggs. Manual says oil never needs changing.
States how and it can be done but is unnecessary. I will be changing it.

A couple weeks ago replaced an locked a/c compressor in an 07 Ford tortous.

Almost no room to get to it but I had done this before and you learn little tricks to save time after you do similar jobs a few times..

An hour 15 of wrench time when the book says more.

Took longer to get hands on the new part from the parts store

View attachment 1715444795

View attachment 1715444796

View attachment 1715444798

View attachment 1715444799
Dammit, now I have to drag my stuff from Central Wisconsin to Colorado so Rainy can fix it for me.

Old ones were, but modern ones are liquid cooled and have water pumps.
I thought he was playing another joke because the new ones are usually referred to as "new beetles" for the 98 and up

Yes those new ones are a bear, timing chain driven, you'll be there all day on that one.

The beetle is air cooled, there is no water pump
That's correct.. made the orinal Beetle that much simpler. It was designed by Fedinand Porsche for a 'peoples car' (VolksWagon) and that it was.. cheap, easy to work on, and reliable. The German military grabbed on to it, and the Kubelwagon was born.. aka the VW 'thing' in later years. Heat was a problem in winter though.. you had to rely on the fan blowing past the exhaust through the floor to keep you warm.. unless you were lucky like my friend back in the day who had in his '59 a gas powered heater. He insulated that thing, and after 10 minutes you had to be in shorts and t-shirt on a -20 day. Running around 10 miles from the nearest house at 2 AM for delivery routes back then was interesting. :)

-
Back