Your a teenager, your family vacations ,sound like a Seinfeld episode...

-

Abodybomber

Breaking street machines , since 1983.....:)
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Grew up in the 80's, with a dysfunctional pair of parents. Plan to go fishing ,in Pine Flats,CA ( middle of Los Padres forest) Bring the 16 ' foot "Sea King" aluminum boat,to fish. Middle of May, it actually starts snowing. ( HOME,WE GO,No snow chains..).
O.K.,1981 : Time to visit mom's relatives,in Washington state. We make the trip, in two days time. Sleep in a Washington state motel,wake up to mount St. Helen's emmiting smoke ,ashes,& a hell of a show..

1983 : "Going fishing in Wisconsin, staying at " Uncle Eddie's " log cabin. After two speeding tickets, a episode where my dad rowed a boat in circles/ went steam fishing,( lost his footing ,hat with lures, and his creel..) & almost got into a fist fight to get it back.
Sounds like a National Lampoon Vacation script,don't it?
Share yours...

(almost) Went to the beach in northern CA one weekend to go camping and it was me and my Brothers in the 66 Belvedere with our Mom driving and Dad on his dresser bike.
Dad finds this little dirt road running along the cliffs trying to find a remote spot away from the tourist types and the road starts angling down the cliffs and getting narrower and rutier as we go, but Dad tells Mom "just go slow and keep the tires on the tops of the ruts".
Well a few hundred yards down the cliffs the right front tire of the Belvedere slips off the rut it was riding on sliding the entire front end over and the right tire completely off the cliff and hanging in the air.
The only thing that stopped the whole car from going over was that it landed on the K frame and stopped sliding.

Our Mother was FREAKIN out, and even in tears as we got everyone out of the car on the drivers side because it was almost straight down about 300 feet or so to the little beach my Dad wanted us to try and get to.

My dad and I found some old fence posts from a fence that was long gone and got down on the cliff under the tire that was off the road (I remember reaching up above my head and spinning it with my hand)
We used the jack out of the trunk and made a spot for the base to sit while using a metal fence post between the jack bumper hook and the underside of the front bumper to push the front end back over and get that tire back on the road again.
Once the tire was back up on the dirt again my Dad drove it out and walked back down to get his bike.

We were all relieved and happy to be back on track for camping but Mom was in tears and PISSED OFF at my Dad for getting us in that predicament, and we ended up going back home where they didn't talk to each other for the rest of the weekend.

vacations??? huh???
1955 dad buys a new ponyac in fl we drive from s w ga to somewhere in fl to pick it up. I get to ride back with mom, she "tries" it out. going 110 down a fl 2 lane! (vacation????)
1966 we drive from s w Ga to Kinston NC to visit some of mom's relatives. its july, she's real hot natured, go the whole trip with the ac on extra high high. all sick with sinus next 5 days. ( vacation????)
come to think of it, those were my 2 vacations as a kid!! ha

but still I have great memories of real life as a kid!

Went out west with my family when I was 12. Dad drove off with the gas hose still in the car. We out ran two tornados in Kansas to get to the camp site in time. My uncle forgot to lock the trailer onto the ball on the hitch so he was dragging his pop up leaving the KOA in flagstaff Arizona. Got kicked out of the grand sand dunes national park for making car noises all through the tour and refering to it as a litter box.

I'll add more trips later tonight. There is a member on here that knows my family a little bit and I am sure he can vouch for the goofy acts.

Mid 80's couple days before Thanksgiving, supposed to have school next day. We lived in central South Dakota. Dad watches 6 o'clock news and says get packed were going to Southeast South Dakota for Thanksgiving, we're all "yeah, whatever". We end up headed out about 10pm. Near blizzard conditions, 40-45 mph on interstate, we would see taillights then they would disappear. Later found out is was a car with a small uhaul trailer with no trailer lights, the trailer would slip and slide and we would see the cars taillights, we pull into Vermillion, SD around 8am the next morning and get stuck in the middle of an intersection. About 12 inches of snow.

-
Back