Your first uncorked trip, to the muffler shop...

-
Many years ago, put the fresh 273 in the 66 with 360 exhaust man. Drove it to the custom exhaust shop down the main drag. I pushed in the clutch and shut it down and coasted up to the stop lights.When the lights turned green I'd fire it up and continue on. Turned out the custom shop wouldn't do it because they couldn't order dual exhaust for a 66 and said they couldn't bend the larger dia.360 pipe. I wasn't very happy with them but I got to drive it back home open exhaust

I have the optional vertical stack on mine. Never had a problem with it.

What model do you have? Im almost 100% certain a vertical stack was not a factory option on the N-Series. Although many have been changed over the years.

I built my car in my grandfather's garage. He and all my uncles are Mopar guys so naturally when my uncles were young they used to raise hell out in front....midnight testing of the line-lock and such. When I dropped the engine in my Duster and broke it in, of course I had to continue the tradition with a celebratory smokie out front. I was only 17 at the time and funny thing is, the lady that lived across the street was one of my high school teachers so I caught an ***-chewing the day after we decided it would be fun to test out MY new line-lock and open headers at 11pm! Few days later I drove it to the muffler shop about 5 miles away and I definitely didn't take it easy!

I drove my Caddy ~20 miles with no mufflers...not by choice. Some jackass didn't secure the junk in his pickup and dumped a bunch of steel fence posts in the road! One of them took out my exhaust system...left side muffler & tailpipe gone, right side, everything behind the cat was gone! Drove home (loud, but the cats means it wasn't too bad), drove it to the shop a few days later to fix it.

I was so pissed at the time I didn't even think to grab the fence posts.

Had header mufflers on my 1st car and put my own tail pipes on so didn't drive to the muffler shop. But did open them up and drive it to school for the homecoming parade. Thru downtown Fortville Indiana with the cops direction traffic.

After the parade and football game had a dance at the school with NO PASS OUT ALLOWED.

it was getting cold outside so I ask if I could go out and close my headers, he told me " Well I don't know what headers are but you better go close them since it is getting cold.

Good thing since I doubt all the cops outside the school would have been like the ones downtown leaving with open headers for a 13 mile drive home.

My Dart was drove with open headers to get the exhaust on it, but only about 4 miles.

My dad passed away before I got the dart done. He had told me I would NEVER get it finished. So one day with the engine installed, one seat, no hood, front fenders, lights or exhaust. I had to move it out of my trailer and so I ask dad if he wanted to take it down the road. He hopped in and drove it open headers and basicly a running shell of a car. Wish he could have seen it painted and completed, I think it would have made him happy.

Last summer, I was working on a '67 GTX with the Belvedere trim/ lights, set up like the Silver Bullet, down to the cage, cragars, redlines, hurst slicks and V gate.

We're next door to an engine tuner/ builder on a back service road, so the cops never do anything, but that one was a little much. 11:1's in the RB on 103 octane.

I took one pass at full throttle to check 2nd gear shift. Didn't like it. Fixed the linkage, took it down the road at 1/2 throttle, couldn't get it to hook up and called it a day. I told the guy that the shifter worked just fine, everything was set up and he'd have to take it to the track to get the bugs worked out.

I turned around in a parking lot at the end of the street that I usually do, and this guy came out, put his hand on the fender and told me how his wife loves motors and he's a big fan of racer rods, but that it was loud and I had to go, now.

After that, I told my boss and after we decided not to drive open exhaust cars down the frontage anymore, we also decided to dedicate a shirt slogan for our shop that reads "My Wife Loves Motors".

LOL... My first car was a 74 Impala. I took off the single exhaust, and put in two Walker pipes.. It sounded so good I ran it for a few days before going to Mike's Muffler for the Cherry Bombs. Mike's Dueled out my Dart a few years back too..

I put headers on my 318 Sport Satellite and ran it open header from the SanDiego Navy base to ElCajon. Getting ready to get on the freeway and CHP pulls up right behind me....oh crap...fixit ticket here I come. I crepe onto the highway and he doesn't pull me over...wow. This was in 76.
What color was that car? Original California car?

In the "day",you installed headers/you drove to the local muffler shop . " Deans Muffler's", was the place. The " locals high school hot rodders" baptism by fire....Seen one guy/have his car rope towed there.. Most of the high school guys,simply ran down the main drag. And the local P.D.,accepted it....... (early late 80's).... If interested .share...
Sure do miss you around here, Tim. You were a good dude man.

That car was yellow with a black vinyl roof. Hounds tooth interior beautiful car. Bought in South east Missouri and sold there. Oh yeah it was a 1970.

Last edited:
-
Back