Yours work good or not: HAYDEN FAN CLUTCH #2765

-

duster360

Reaction score
I had cooling issues with my '67 Dart at one time and tried all sorts of combinations. Problem was solved once I got the radiator the car needed. About the fan clutch, Hayden #2765. Of those of you that have used it did it work well for your car? I put one on my car with a 7 blade '215 fan( A body 340 fan ) and it was pulling some air at idle. Took it off and put a 7 blade 18" flexalite clutchless fan on and there was a huge difference in the air coming through the radiator, the flex fan is way better. I can see that the flex fan is spinning way faster than the stock clutch fan. I am curious if the Jaguar clutch is not made to pull the weight of the stock steel mopar fans because from what I have seen the Jaguars mechanical fans were plastic.

I'm no expert on this , but I think the reason the flexalite is moving more air is because it's direct drive, were as clutch fans only spin at a percentage of water pump speed.

..seem to remember about 70% water pump speed
..may heat up a little at idle

I had cooling issues with my engine when I took off the clutch fan and went to electric fans.I sold my 2765 fan clutch and had to buy a new one.I am going back to the clutch fan.It keep-ed the engine temp at 180 at idle.they work very good. Mark

I tried a 2765 with my 22", 3-row cooling the 440. Tried a single big electric fan. Ultimately had the best cooling performance with a solid fan (Hayden) and a decent shroud. Too many horror stories associated with flex fans.

I have been thinking about using a solid mechanical fan if I can find the right one.

Yes it is. If you buy one there is a bushing in the box you will need to use to make the fan clutch fit tight on the waterpump.

My brother about severed his thumb on a stationary flex fan just tightening an alternator bolt when the wrench slipped. Is that the kind of horror story you are talking about 70duster440? It was nasty and I have trouble even considering a flex fan again!

Ditch the mechanical stuff and go electric.
I'm not trying to boss you around or anything, I'm sayin that I have a 26" radiator that was 200 bucks with a 17" electric puller fan controlled with a thermostat type controller and I can drive in downtown Phoenix AZ summer stoplight to stoplight traffic and maintain 190-210 degrees when it's 110 degrees out.
The fan cost 80 or so, and the thermostatic on off controller was about 60.

My brother about severed his thumb on a stationary flex fan just tightening an alternator bolt when the wrench slipped. Is that the kind of horror story you are talking about 70duster440? It was nasty and I have trouble even considering a flex fan again!

No, too many complaints of them coming apart.

-
Back