Yukon axles

-

DDayton71

Reaction score
I need some help with Yukon axles. When I started building my car, a 71 dart with a 440,TCI 727, 8.75 rear and MT ET streets, 2 years ago, I bought Yukon axles. I took it out on the road two days ago for the first time and didnt make it very far. It has a 8.75 with a 742 clutch style sure grip and it seems like the axles are not in all the way. It cleaned off a 1/4 inch of the splines off the axle. It seems like the barings are not installed far enough. The axles are 28 inch but it seems like they need to be 28 3/16. I have read a few posts where people are having the same problem with these Yukon axles but no one has posted any fixes. Does anyone know a fix or what the measurement from the end of the axle shaft to the green bearring retainer plate and from retainer plate to axle hub is?

no i don't think so the button is still in there but when i put the axles in the went in nice and easy i don't think that would move the bearing on the axle

Sounds like you have the 2piece side gears. Some of the posi's had 1 piece gears. Your axles were probably a little short,didnt have enough spline engagement. If u have the green bearings you dont need the buttons. My 340 stocker went 1.41 60fts with a 742 case posi and 1 piece side gears and mosr axles with green bearings. I never had a problem

i slid a tape in the axle tube and from the button to end of axle housing and it was 25 7/8"

The Button. It has to removed on some center sections, like it was said before. Your axles are 28" long and you only have 25 7/8" of room. Sounds like the BUTTON is in the way of letting your axles in all the way.

do you think that when i put them in and bolted them down it slid the axle on the bearing pushing the axle out

Yes or you bent the retaining plate that bolts to the axle flange.
The axles if everything is correct should slide and bottom with ease, no hammers mallets or using the flange studs and retaining plate to pull or force them in.

I need some help with Yukon axles. When I started building my car, a 71 dart with a 440,TCI 727, 8.75 rear and MT ET streets, 2 years ago, I bought Yukon axles. I took it out on the road two days ago for the first time and didnt make it very far. It has a 8.75 with a 742 clutch style sure grip and it seems like the axles are not in all the way. It cleaned off a 1/4 inch of the splines off the axle. It seems like the barings are not installed far enough. The axles are 28 inch but it seems like they need to be 28 3/16. I have read a few posts where people are having the same problem with these Yukon axles but no one has posted any fixes. Does anyone know a fix or what the measurement from the end of the axle shaft to the green bearring retainer plate and from retainer plate to axle hub is?

This is a known issue with the early yukon axles. They were cut shorter than should be so you can install them without removing the thrust buttons. They work fine in an open diff or with a cone type suregrip, but they don't engage far enuff into the clutch type suregrips with the two piece side gear.

Some venders now sell the correct length axles and they also have a cut to fit axle that will work.

-
Back