Z bar positioning

-
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've just installed my 340 motor / 4 sped trans and have a question on the position of the Z Bar. Is the bellhousing side of the Z bar supposed to butt all the way up against the bellhousing bracket? How far over is the Z bar supposed to slide over on the frame side ball stud? I've got a 7" long A body Z bar but it seems this thing just barely goes in far enough to slide over the plastic bushings on each side. Is this correct? Needless to say my TTI headers are interfering with the Z bar on the bellhousing side. The arm where the adjustment rod connects to hits the one tube. Anyone use the tti modified 340 Z bar with luck? Could someone post a couple of pics if theirs looks different?

I'm new here and will try to attach a couple of pics; one of each side of the Z bar.

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• Bellhousing side.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 399
  • Frame side.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 429
looks about right- depth wise - compared to my b body- my a's a auto

The spring clip will local the bushing on the frame side so the z-bar stays in one position, the bellhousing side can slide in an out as the engine moves in the mounts. I don't see the spring clip in your photo but the relative spacing looks OK.

thanks guys! I have the spring clip, just not on in pic. I don't see how some guys get lucky on 4 speeds with the stock Z bar. I guess I'm going to order one of the TTI modified Z bars tomorrow and try that.

Hi,

I'm doing a 4 speed conversion right now and i'm trying to find out where the z bar should be put, i have a 1970 dodge dart swinger, could anyone here take a picture of where the z bar should be put please?? no where on the internet is pictures of the z bar mounted on the car.

-
Back