Z heads? ARE THEY 360 OR 340?

-

chadlee70

340man
Reaction score
I just recently purchased a 67 dodge dart drag car with a 340 motor and I was looking at the heads and they have a Z stamped on the side, are these 340 heads or 360? are they any good for racing? and does anyone know what if they are 202 intake?
thanks,
Chad

I have never seen Z heads but with Ma Mopar you never know. The only factory 2.02 heads I've seen are X and J heads made before 72. But that don't mean they're not 2.02 valves cause it's real easy to install them. You will probably only know if you remove them and check them. As far as them being any good they all flow pretty close to the same when stock when the valves are the same size.

Like Jomopar said the casting numbers will tell the story. You can find that under the valve covers. You should also find a production date there.

Oh. Were the "O" heads 2.02 valves also? I havent' seen any O heads except for online in pics and I couldn't tell if they were 2.02's

I have 3 "O" heads, one each on cars and one spare. All are 2.02 70 castings.

Chad I forgot to mention earlier that I believe most if not all 340's made in 72 and 73 have heads that say 360 on them under the valve covers. I have had 2 sets and both said 360.

And welcome to the board.:cheers:

The Z head is a 3418915 casting number used on 70-71 360 motors with 1.88&1.60 valves and open chambers,I hope this solves the problem,mrmopartech

The Z head is a 3418915 casting number used on 70-71 360 motors with 1.88&1.60 valves and open chambers,I hope this solves the problem,mrmopartech

Very interesting to me as we pulled the motor from my 70 swinger Friday night. It to has Z on the heads. It is also Stamped with 2780930-340-5.
It also has 3B404335 on the rail which, I think makes it a 1973 motor. Am I correct?,also a bit confused.

The block is a 1973 block as the number you gave are the last 8 digits of the VIN number from which the motor came from.That block is a 68-73 casting motor.The info on the heads come from the GTS books I have of Galen Govier,so that means the motor was replaced at least once before you got it,after 1973 or beyond that date,mrmopartech

Also don't forget U heads. Jeff

Thanks for the info, I took off the valve covers, and they were 360 heads, thanks for the info, I can't wait to see what she will run, The first test and tune for me will be this weekend, the guy i baught it off of said in run in the 7 teens in the eighth. I will try to post pics shorly
Thanks,
Chad

67d.jpg

-
Back