zinc phosphate on rally center caps?

-

mopar410

Reaction score
ok guys have any of you used or heard about Eastwoods rally wheel kit?
http://www.eastwood.com/mopar-rally...ode=ga220010&gclid=CIOW-6_E-L8CFQSEaQodgH4AUw
It clams to be the same color but is the zinc phosphate the right color for the caps or do you have to top coat them with color?And is the zinc the rough texture on the caps?
I'm cleaning my wheels up and need the texture stuff as mine have 3 with a lot of texture but one has just a little and they would be a nightmare to try to clean off.All the caps are different shades also so I need to get them the same color.As always any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Read the review on Eastwood's site. It sounds good to me.

"very pleased
Review by rob
this product is every bit of the quality i was hoping for. the color match was dead on for my 72 road runner rally wheels. thanks for delivering a product i can recommend to other mopar friends."

I read that review but it wasn't clear about the caps.I am really only interested in the quality of the center caps finish.I want to duplicate the rough texture with the right color.Thanks for the reply.Does anyone else have any experience with this stuff?

You're not going to get that center cap texture from a can. I believe from breaking it down and analyzing it. It looks like a heavy metal flake sprayed over a base then slightly built up after that. I do not know if glitter would be a good alt but the texture it appears is similar.

I've got a can of the zinc paint from 10+ years ago. It has a blue tint to it but looks nothing like clear zinc. It also doesn't have any texture to it. Maybe it has been redesigned since I bought the can.

Personally, I'd look at Totally Auto. They have textured argent in spray cans. It's not a perfect match to the original finish but it is close enough for a nice driver. If you need a better match, you'll have to get it from Rodger Gibson Restorations and it isn't cheap. Totally Auto might also have a Rallye wheel paint.

Chrysler used two shades of this highly textured Argent paint-light and medium-and they were the only manufacturer that used them at all. The Light Textured Argent, part number DX 8555, is obsolete. The Medium Textured Argent, part number DNA 8933, can sometimes be found at larger, older Ditzler dealers. Last used in the mid 1970's, it is now all but obsolete. Older Ditzler dealers that have remaining stock can mix this paint for you, but it can also be mixed from currently available paints. Here's how.

LIGHT ARGENT TEXTURED

Ingredients for 1 pint (double for quart)
1/2 ounce DX 204- Radiance Silver
1/2 ounce DDL 8568- Non Smudge Aluminum/aluminum base
3 1/2 ounces DCA 468 High Performance Clear

Add 4 ounces of top grade lacquer thinner with drying time according to temperature. Mix thoroughly and pour in 1 pint touch up gun. Use 10 clean 1/4" ball bearings in paint cup to keep the paint mixed. Use three light coats over an existing finish or four to six coats over unfinished parts. This paint runs VERY easily, allow 5-10 minutes between coats.

MEDIUM ARGENT TEXTURED

The steps are exactly as above, but add black lacquer to darken. Start with six drops per pint and stir thoroughly, then spray a sample to compare to the original finish. Add a drop at a time until you achieve the correct tint.

Spray these paints at 55-60 lbs. keeping the gun 18-30 inches from the surface. Frequently agitate the mixture to maintain uniform consistency because the Radiance Silver is heavy and will settle out quickly. Hope this helps you!

The color isn't hard to get and many of the suggestions are correct or close enough for govt work. but none of these duplicate the factory heavy texture of the cap. This can not be sprayed from a std gun. Back in the day we had flaking guns or at least a special nozzle and needle might work.

Heres my dilemma two caps are covered in the texture and one is half covered but the last one has almost none left.It appears that the texture was put on and the whole thing was chromed.Doesnt look like any color was added to any of these.The two with the most texture are darker but looks like they are dirty which is hard to clean out,in the pics the derker ones are the ones with not much texture.Maybe these pics will help.

Attachments

• SAM_0344 (Custom).jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 341
  • SAM_0345 (Custom).jpg
    30 KB · Views: 294
  • SAM_0346 (Custom).jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 313
  • SAM_0347 (Custom).jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 275
  • SAM_0348 (Custom).jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 285
Krylon black metal speck paint is very close. Used it on my demon. Try the google search on moparts and maybe it will come up

Krylon Black Textured shimmer #2520

Attachments

• demon new 004 (1280x853).jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 334
Those look great but mine is no where near that dark.I wander if there was a difference in caps or years.Mine were on my 1970 dart but I can't say for certain it came from the factory that way.Also would the paint need to be heat resistant that being said I have some vinyl lettering on my calibers on my 06 charger for the last 7 years and they have not peels or changed in any way.

those caps are 1972 only
Yeah I looked them up and they are SBP 72 caps so that may be why they look chromed over the texture.Looks like I may need to go light argent and forget about trying to fill in the missing texture areas or use above mentioned colors with texture then paint over that.They are far from show quality but I want them to look as good as possible.And I bet the SBP in that style is hard to find since they went to BBP right after and all the higher end cars had BBP in 72.

-
Back