1 5/8 headers

-
not sidetracking at all my friend. My thought is plenty of guys are running trick flows with existing headers that have been around forever with these flanges. Can’t say as I have heard of anyone with any issues??
Maybe I’m making it confusing, I’m not implying any issue but more a curiosity thing. I’m pretty sure the TF ex port is uniquely shaped vs all the other LA based heads and wondering whether a header flange similar in shape and how the pipe is welded is anything to consider. Probably not, just lots of free time to let the mind wander today:eek:

:thumbsup:

lol The first engine I put in my 67 fastback was a 68 383 magnum with hp manifolds, with matching convertor and torqueflite. that combo and a 4.57 sure grip was unbeatable by any stock a-body 340. lol
a couple years later the 383 got 12.1 comp , ported 906, 557 purple, street dominator / Carter AVS and hooker fenderwell 2" primary. lol I forget what convertor we put in, but that combo was beast. lol
That reminds me of most chevy guys, yep, I'll run my back halved, stroked big block, nitrous assisted Camaro against your stock 318 Dart..................If you give me the hit. LOL

Just for sake of discussion, do you have 1-5/8 headers and are simply wondering? Or contemplating those or bigger and trying to determine how much you might give up if going with 1-5/8? I know some might spec their cams with a touch more exhaust duration at the least to try and possibly minimize the difference if they have to use a smaller diameter than what might be optimum. That’s in the build stage of course, sometimes you gotta work with what you have, or can fit, afford or find.

Currently have Doug’s D453 headers on a 408. I feel they maybe a tad small but don’t know if it’s worth spending the $$ for bigger tubes and I’d rather not cut the inner fenders.

Currently have Doug’s D453 headers on a 408. I feel they maybe a tad small but don’t know if it’s worth spending the $$ for bigger tubes and I’d rather not cut the inner fenders.
Same boat, 410, TF heads w/Dougs. 3250lbs +/- w/driver 11.44@114 in aero akin to a barn door. Could use a single plane, more cam, more converter, more headers etc etc. Got what I got, no roll bar to run at strict tracks so what’s the point in my case. Fun to contemplate don’t get me wrong!

Since I'm not going racing, would it really affect my combination

Yes. Even compression ratio matters. I don’t get guys who think because they don’t “race” that their engines respond differently that those that do race.

It’s an internal combustion engine. It doesn’t know what brand it is, or what it’s intended use will be.

All it knows is it’s geometry. And it all matters.

My 1969 Dart has the Hooker 1 5/8" tube headers like in post #12. It is a 340 with .509 - 292 hydraulic cam, LD340 intake and .202 intake J heads with home porting. Running a 904 using a 2800 stall with 4.10 gears, it turned a best time of 7.92 at 88 mph in the eighth capped up with 245/60-14 Road Hugger Radial GTs. Usually runs consistent 8.0s. Car weighs 3450 with me in it.

How fast in the 1/4 have you gone with 1 5/8 headers with 3" collectors? ET, mph and car weight? Thanks.
I run 1-5/8 headers in my 91/96 dodge dakota because for some reason thats as big as hooker makes for it. I would like to try a set of 1-3/4 or 1-7/8. I have never got to weigh my SB Dakota but I am guessing with me in it, it weighes around 3400 pounds. I still have to get a 8 point Roll bar installed. So I guess that will add another 100 pounds? My 360 magnum has right around 11.1 compression and is raced on 93 pump gas. The converter is tolose on the top end and I need to get it pulled and sent off. Just dealing with health issues right now. But I hope to get it pulled , fixed and put back in the truck before March. I think the truck has a low 11 or high 10 second pass in it. But so far the best passes have been 11.24 at 116.86 in the 1/4 and 7.16 at 96 in the 1/8. Which I think is pretty good for a projunk yard engine.lol here is the info about the engine. Also I added 28x10.5x15 pro bracket radials and a holley 850 Track Warrior carb to the truck. But haven't got to make any passes with them yet.

The engine isn't much of a build. My friend built it as a claimer engine for a class he was racing in. He ended up building a gen3 hemi engine for his 87 dakota, so I bought thr 5.9 magnum engine off him. Here is a breK down of the build.
Stock bore and stroke 2000 5.9 magnum
Stock crank and rods.
Clivlite full Grove rod/main bearings.
ARP rod bolts.
KB107 pistions.
Comp 550 solid lift cam
Trickflow 190CC heads.
3/8th Smith brother oil through push rods.
PRW billet steel 1.6 rockers
Ported indy cylinder head single plane intake
Holley 650DP ported to flow close to 800cfm
Hooker 1-5/8 full length headers.
Turboaction built 904 transmission
RMVB
Coan 8 inch 5500 stall. Which I need to send in and get redone.
Ford 8.8 full spool and 4.30 gears.
28x9x15 slicks.

I added the heads,push rods and rocker arms

I run 1-5/8 headers in my 91/96 dodge dakota because for some reason thats as big as hooker makes for it. I would like to try a set of 1-3/4 or 1-7/8. I have never got to weigh my SB Dakota but I am guessing with me in it, it weighes around 3400 pounds. I still have to get a 8 point Roll bar installed. So I guess that will add another 100 pounds? My 360 magnum has right around 11.1 compression and is raced on 93 pump gas. The converter is tolose on the top end and I need to get it pulled and sent off. Just dealing with health issues right now. But I hope to get it pulled , fixed and put back in the truck before March. I think the truck has a low 11 or high 10 second pass in it. But so far the best passes have been 11.24 at 116.86 in the 1/4 and 7.16 at 96 in the 1/8. Which I think is pretty good for a projunk yard engine.lol here is the info about the engine. Also I added 28x10.5x15 pro bracket radials and a holley 850 Track Warrior carb to the truck. But haven't got to make any passes with them yet.

The engine isn't much of a build. My friend built it as a claimer engine for a class he was racing in. He ended up building a gen3 hemi engine for his 87 dakota, so I bought thr 5.9 magnum engine off him. Here is a breK down of the build.
Stock bore and stroke 2000 5.9 magnum
Stock crank and rods.
Clivlite full Grove rod/main bearings.
ARP rod bolts.
KB107 pistions.
Comp 550 solid lift cam
Trickflow 190CC heads.
3/8th Smith brother oil through push rods.
PRW billet steel 1.6 rockers
Ported indy cylinder head single plane intake
Holley 650DP ported to flow close to 800cfm
Hooker 1-5/8 full length headers.
Turboaction built 904 transmission
RMVB
Coan 8 inch 5500 stall. Which I need to send in and get redone.
Ford 8.8 full spool and 4.30 gears.
28x9x15 slicks.

I added the heads,push rods and rocker arms
What was the red X for?

B Body. 451 CI 1 5/8 full exhaust to back bumper, full interior street.
11.90's@110 mph auto,4.10 gear 3800 lbs with me in it.

View attachment 1716042235
451 small block?
9.90 at 135 mph at 2880 lbs.
W/1-5/8 headers?
10.68 at 3350…124.70
W/1-5/8 headers?
From all these responses it sounds like the 1 5/8 header can handle some decent power
Exhaust manifolds can also run quick. Cam timing and exhaust layout are critical. In general, a bigger header should in most cases provide better performance. This thread makes me wonder about several things starting with what are guys giving up with the smaller header? Then what is the details of there combo to run as quick as they do with the small header.

How the heck makes 1-5/8 tube headers for a big block?

I didn’t see the primary size listed ether that’s why I posted that up hoping you knew. No worries either way. The Hedman’s @ 1-7/8 will be good for most street applications for the Big Block.

Thanks

Last edited:
I believe so, I’m going from memory and I don’t see the primary tube size listed. That’s why I ended up going with the B Body Hedmans.
With an automatic they fit good, don't hang low and the price is right.
With a little work ( very little) we mated up the 3" TTI exhaust system. did one with full 3" and one with 2.5" tail pipes.

-
Back