1938 Plymouth Coupe - Install 392 Hemi or Sell to Fund Build?

-

Kmrumedy

Reaction score
Hey Guys - (Sorry this one is a little long winded)

I am looking into getting into hotrodding. I did an introduction thread on another forum also asked for opinions on purchasing a rust free 1938 Plymouth Business Coupe with an expensive frontend suspension and rear already installed.

Based on the encouragement it looks like I am going ahead with the purchase. Here are some pictures of the car. The body was placed on the frame for the photos only. It is not attached to frame.
image_zps6wjqoela.jpg
[/URL']http://s62.photobucket.com/user/kmrumedy/media/image_zps6wjqoela.jpg.html]
image_zps6wjqoela.jpg
[/URL]

http://s62.photobucket.com/user/kmrumedy/media/image_zpsrwlp4slv.jpg.html]
image_zpsrwlp4slv.jpg
[/URL]

http://s62.photobucket.com/user/kmrumedy/media/image_zpsincv70oc.jpg.html]
image_zpsincv70oc.jpg
[/URL]

http://s62.photobucket.com/user/kmrumedy/media/image_zpsezfe3air.jpg.html]
image_zpsezfe3air.jpg
[/URL]

I know I have a lot to learn and this will take time and patience and $$$.

A member posted in my original thread about the work and heavy skills involved in installing a 392 Hemi in a late 30's Plymouth. Which was both an eye opener and a slap in the face back to reality!! Haha!

So here is the conundrum - I actually have an awesome professionally rebuilt 392 Hemi with a bunch of goodies. I bought it a few years ago to help out a family who had a terminally ill member. I knew little about Hemi's at the time and simply bought it knowing I would sell it after the family member passed away.

But now the hotrod bug has hit me and a 38 Ply is on the way.

So I am looking at two scenarios:

Have someone do the setup fabrication to install the 392 OR

Sell the Hemi, get a cool/cheaper but maybe friendlier install motor, and use the rest of the funds to complete the build.

I was thinking if I sold the hemi I would like to install a 340. What I would really like to install is a 440 6Pak. But I don't know if I will have the same issues with the big block as I would with the hemi (The issue - I want to use the entire hood. So I am not sure if the 440 is too wide. I know the 392 is too wide).

So what do you guys think? Do I lose too much of the cool factor not installing the 392? Or would it best to sell it and get a less expensive motor that is easier to install and also have funds left over to complete a lot of the build?

I also do not know what a 392 is worth. I tried selling it before and it was a nightmare. I need your help in pricing this 392 if I sell it. It was professionally rebuilt by the owner of an engine shop for his personal car. He didn't repaint it as it was going in a survivor car. I was told was it was a 1958 392 with a hotter cam. No details on the cam. BIG BONUS - It has new adjustable rockers (see Pictures).

I posted pictures on here when I bought. Here was the response:
"I think you hit the jackpot. As an added bonus the engine has adjustable rockers, which probably means it's a (better) performance engine most likely out of a letter series Chrysler.

Those adjustable rockers, by themselves, often bring over $2K on eBay. Just the rockers. And that's if they're NOT rebuilt.

58N would indicate that the engine is out of a New Yorker. That would mean that the rockers shouldn't be adjustable from the factory, so they must have been added. Another fun fact, the engine hasn't been run with those rockers and those valve covers. Adjustable rocker valve covers had bumps in them for clearance. Those rockers will likely hit those valve covers if they're run as is, even with the factory cam the adjustable rockers hit the non-dimpled vavle covers. The factory adjustable rocker valve covers looked like the one's below, although its not uncommon for folks to use a ball-peen hammer to create the clearance they need as the "bumps" sit under the wire covers anyway.

Also, based on what the heads look like, I would have to say that's either a VERY low mileage engine, or that at the very least the heads were removed and hot tanked. Engines from this era used parafin based oils, and its really easy to tell that from the heads/rockers. Those are WAY to clean for them to have been run with the oil that they would have seen in that era."

I have found only two other like this in Canada and asking price is over $10K without the rockers. I don't know the American market but I was thinking with the CDN exchange rate I could give someone an awesome deal in the US. What do you think the motor is worth?

All opinions and help is greatly appreciated.

Pictures:
20170511_114041_zps0mmxz1ml.jpg
[/URL']http://s62.photobucket.com/user/kmrumedy/media/20170511_114041_zps0mmxz1ml.jpg.html]
20170511_114041_zps0mmxz1ml.jpg
[/URL]

http://s62.photobucket.com/user/kmrumedy/media/20170511_113834_zpsqefqsavp.jpg.html]
20170511_113834_zpsqefqsavp.jpg
[/URL]

http://s62.photobucket.com/user/kmrumedy/media/20170511_113933_zpsfzkehakp.jpg.html]
20170511_113933_zpsfzkehakp.jpg
[/URL]

http://s62.photobucket.com/user/kmrumedy/media/20170511_114342_zpsqpbaxbnq.jpg.html]
20170511_114342_zpsqpbaxbnq.jpg
[/URL]

http://s62.photobucket.com/user/kmrumedy/media/20170511_114327_zpsowokv8f1.jpg.html]
20170511_114327_zpsowokv8f1.jpg
[/URL]

http://s62.photobucket.com/user/kmrumedy/media/20170511_113951_zpsutjnropu.jpg.html]
20170511_113951_zpsutjnropu.jpg
[/URL]

http://s62.photobucket.com/user/kmrumedy/media/20170511_114401_zpsfkdy6u9y.jpg.html]
20170511_114401_zpsfkdy6u9y.jpg
[/URL]

http://s62.photobucket.com/user/kmrumedy/media/20170511_114422_zpspq5p4sd1.jpg.html]
20170511_114422_zpspq5p4sd1.jpg
[/URL]

Sent from my iPad

I have one that was out of a 58 Imperial and is also rebuilt - standard bore and standard mains and rods with a cam that was one step up from the stock (from PAW IIRC). It's got the standard hydraulic rocker arms. I've added the little oil by-pass valve that is under the rear main cap, a modified LA oil pump, a spin on oil filter adapter and the adapter to run a LA fuel pump from Hot Heads. And it's painted Hemi Orange as well. It would take at a minimum $7000 to pry it off me. Yours ought to go at least the 10 grand you mentioned if you decided to sell and fund the project. I would think a LA would be a better fit. Just my 2c

If it were me, I'd sell the 392 and go Gen 4 Hemi. Smaller, lighter, EFI, more steetable, cheaper to work on and can look just as cool.

here my take on your project , it will fit , go for it . it looks very stock on the out side of your hemi , but you remove the rocker covers to show it has adjustable valve train . thats very costly stuff there . it not just a 392 from a chrysler or imp , had got ind or 300 parts in it . would be nice to know the cam specs , but if i remember that should have dimpled rocker covers also to clear the adjustment hardware on the rocker arms . get your trans adapter for it , e bay has plenty of odds n ends to complete your engine , even aftermarket fuel injection that bolts on , trottle body or stacks . even muti carb set ups , or blower stuff . good stuff guy . pics of my buds 38 ford he put a 331 in . made it look like a barn find .

DSC07123.JPG

DSC07153.JPG

DSC07154.JPG

DSC07155.JPG

DSC07156.JPG

DSC07157.JPG

DSC07159.JPG

DSC07160.JPG

and no hemi is cooler then a early chrysler one , no plastic anything . don't agree with later hemis being as cool looking at all . need i say more , lol . and hey put 392 hemis in these too , and hey are small cars , lol . the blown one is slated for a a40 austin gasser .

DSC03447.JPG

DSC03449.JPG

DSC06268.JPG

mojo's hemi.jpg

Here's mine... 354. Sold it a couple years ago.

Building a complete rod with zero experience can be a daunting task. You start out all hot to trot then the reality of deal sets in... lots more work than you ever envisioned.

I'd buy a lower priced running and driving 40's-60's car and have some fun. Work on the Plymouth as funds become available. You'll need to have lots of equipment... welder, torches, sheet metal tools, compressor and tons more. And a decent shop/garage.

There's nothing like a Hemi.. parts are readily available. You'll need a trans adaptor (I'd buy from TR Waters again). Smart buys and doing much of my own work got my 354 ready to run for under $5K...

Last edited:
tools , work space , ate that what friends are for , lol . he's right . more funds for tools n equip to build a rod then the rods cost for sure . but that buck on tools is yours for the rest of them .

Bitchin ride, bitchin motor, be patient and set reachable goals. Get body. install motor. If you get that done in the first 6-9 months, thats a great start. paint, 6-9 months. put car back together, 6-9 months. accumulate tools. MIG/Plasma cutter/drill press. You can really do this, just realize it will take 10 hrs a week for 3 years and another 15Gs in parts and tools. It will be great. Keep at it. You will have a one of a kind rod. Have a vision and dont stray. Changes cost time and money. It is art.

In the mean time get a 73 318 duster with 3 on the tree and beat the snot out of it for fun. good luck.

I like that early Hemi.., it all falls on your patience, budget, and the difference between "WOW!!!!!" at a car show, or reliability ,without issues.... Early Hemi parts, aren't available...on a Sunday afternoon, on a road trip broken down, in Keokuk ,Iowa.... Family cruiser, or show car?....

I like that early Hemi.., it all falls on your patience, budget, and the difference between "WOW!!!!!" at a car show, or reliability ,without issues.... Early Hemi parts, aren't available...on a Sunday afternoon, on a road trip broken down, in Keokuk ,Iowa.... Family cruiser, or show car?....
there is no cool like an early, or gen. 2 hemi . for sure stay w/ mopar , but the hemi will get the most ooohs and ahhhhs.

Thanks guys. Does anyone here know the current "fair" market value this Hemi would bring? I am trying to budget for both scenarios before I decide.

hell ya already have the engine.. may as well use it.

if you are only gonna stick a small block in it ya may as well just stick s stinking small block chevy in the damn thing..

from the sounds of your first post i don't think you are ready to build a rod like that.. don't let giuys on a rod forum talk ya into anything...

i can so see a half built street rod for sale in your future...

Thanks guys. Does anyone here know the current "fair" market value this Hemi would bring? I am trying to budget for both scenarios before I decide.

in my opinion people will look at it as a core. you know nothing about it.. any receipts to prove it was rebuilt?

392 for sure! Not much different to install. What ever you put in will be custom anyway. Go for the best! You already have it.

To get the most out of the Hemi money wise, have a friend help you start it on a stand....For Sale ....see it run....doesnt smoke....sells for more than an unknown never been run. At least a leak down test to confirm even cylinder pressures. Pop the pan and take pictures of cylinder walls, you can sell with confidence when YOU know the condition of the motor as well as the buyer. I see "built" big blocks for sale for 5K, I feel that if someone can see it run, they would be getting a good deal at 7K. When a seller has it all researched up, ie look up the numbers, I see it sell for much more, but you might be waiting on a buyer. Look at hotheads.com. they have parts.

To get the most out of the Hemi money wise, have a friend help you start it on a stand....For Sale ....see it run....doesnt smoke....sells for more than an unknown never been run. At least a leak down test to confirm even cylinder pressures. Pop the pan and take pictures of cylinder walls, you can sell with confidence when YOU know the condition of the motor as well as the buyer. I see "built" big blocks for sale for 5K, I feel that if someone can see it run, they would be getting a good deal at 7K. When a seller has it all researched up, ie look up the numbers, I see it sell for much more, but you might be waiting on a buyer. Look at hotheads.com. they have parts.

Thanks. I am thinking if I do sell I will get it all tested, researched, and photo documented. I don't want to screw someone over even if it wasn't intentional.

The project looks very clean from provided pictures. You have tremendous trading power if you dont want to sell/buy.

Hi Kmrumedy,
I´m fare away from you but I have the same car now in restauration ( see here at FABO ) ... and I´m learning what costs will come ( but your sheet metal looks better than at my 1938 and so that will be cheaper for you). Don´t know what you wanna do with that car exactly, but if you save that old car by a frame of restauration I think, its better to sell the HEMI to have the money for the work on the car.
I know, that the Germans are verry interested in such a motor and may be, you can reach 30 % more if you sell it overseas. Check it by ebay. de and set a high minimum price + shipping costs, so you are save. I think, you can get 8 - 9000 Euros for that - if it´s running !
Peter ( from Leipzig, Germany )

-
Back