1969 Dodge Dart Pro-Street 440

-
I think there was some kind of trim peice that held in the top of the door skin, mine is missing to the samds of time but the holes r still there.

Using the same technique i lined up the glass and drilled holes through it and into the existing holes of the door.

Went to lowes and got #8 stainless sheetmetal screws and went to town. I transfered the same bolt pattern to the bottom of the door, but i had to move some of the screws a few millimeters to the left or right bc of the stupid push clip holes were in the way.

But it fits snug and does not rattle. Ill probibly get some soft side sticky back velcrow and stick a few squairs in there just to make sure it doesent rattle too much.

Next step is to cover it in leather.

Rich Corinthian leather? ;)

Hahaha naw man i wish, just cant afford that stuff it was like $20 a yard, but i still have plenty left over from the dash. Its nice, kinda soft and should turn out ok.

Screwed up is a technical term not always having a negative connotation! Is the plex better suited to adhesion than beaver board? I would worry about cracks.

Screwed up is a technical term not always having a negative connotation! Is the plex better suited to adhesion than beaver board? I would worry about cracks.

Yea man. It's hyper smooth so the 3m spray stuff I used for the headliner will kick *** with that stuff.

The glass is not real plexiglass its some other material, that's just what I call it. I was using a bench grinder with a cutting wheel and a carbide drill to make holes and cuts and they would not cut it. It would just get hot enough to melt their way through.

Lol so I doubt it will crack. And won't get water logged, swell, smell bad and get moldy like that old beaver board.

Wrappy time

Attachments

• image.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 305
Who runs out of glue half way through.... Ughhh trip to the store

Attachments

• image.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 292
Kinda gay how my phone uploads smaller pix than my ipad . But o well.

Well here is is all done. Doors need to b painted but that will happen in time. I like the stainless screws sticking out. Makes it look more like a race car

Attachments

• image.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 293
Got all the stuff to make a window net. Wanted to make it out of kevlar and nomex. But that would have been over 200$ soooo i settled for the same polypropylene that simpson uses to make thier nets. I also got hyper strong upholstery thread. The sfi 27.1 said something about dropping a 175 lbs weight from 15 ft and should hold with out failure, but the materal gets three trys.

Maby ill make the net and if its crap ill say the hell with it and make the ultra version with the kevlar n nomex. Only thing im worrited about is the heat. Plastic melts and that stuff never will.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 264
Polypropylene melts at 266℉, will your interior get that hot?

No or at least I hope not. Hahah I'm just saying I have to plan for the worst. On fire and into a wall... That's when I want to make SURE it's going to work.

Haha like this poor guy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 279
Makine of the net begins. I couldent find a net or a mount that would work or what i wanted so im like f it. Imma make one.

Sfi27.1 dont got nothin on me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 238
Mocking up the mounts, finding where i want everything, regs say it has to be on the inside of the cage.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 231
The upper spring bar is too long, so i heated up the rod, pulled the end out cut and rewelded the cap back on. Also the bottom mount needs to be "permently" mountd. So im ditching the crap alunimum bar and making this 1/4 in thick steal bar stock to make a bottom mount. And some 1/2-13 stainless bolts.

I was afraid the bar would chafe the net so i polishes the corners off with my file n then hit it with 220 n then 1000 grit paper.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 237
Now i kno where evreything is going to live i can start making the net.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 238
Have the boarders made so now we can start filling in the rest

Attachments

• image.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 231
Sfi nets have 2" squairs so mine will also. I started with the lattitude lines. I want it to b strong so i doubled the thickness on the straps.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 234
Weaved in the longitude straps. Was super hard to keep them all straight, so i used a staipler to hold them togetather for now so i could work everything togeather.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 240
Omfg!! I have been sweing since 6 am it is now 4:30pm..... Uugh just keep sewing just keep sewing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 256
Ok finialy finnished the damn sewing. Threaded the spring rod back for the last time, i have to weld on the handle, to lock in the net forever hahaha.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 242
Repainted the roll cage and installed the net, it came out pretty good. Time for some carpet next n the rear leather pannels

Attachments

• image.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 193
I have the rear window sills installed, had to cut the back corners off to make them fit, but it had to be done.

The mole hair is crap so i need to get newones and make the windows waterproof, dont plan on driving in the rain, but im not putting tape on the seams everytime i want to give it a bath

Attachments

• image.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 199
Yes these are the original rear skins, the pleather on them was ccrraapp, so i pealed them off.

Ill recover them. Yea, i cut these up too to make room for the tubs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 197
Rear pannels coverend in leather, and used a grommit, cut it in half and used it as a access hole for the eletrical bundle to go into the trunk.

Came out awesome.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 195
-
Back