1972 Daddy Daughter Duster

-
Well, we "labored" on labor day. Hot and humid as heck, but managed to fab up the subframe connectors. The circular saw made precise cuts a challenge, but with lots of trimming and test fitting with the car on the ground and level, I got both sides knocked out:blob: The second side was a breeze after learning on the 1st side. Going to drill holes for a few plug welds and coat with POR15 before welding them in.

We also took the roof down to bare metal with wire disks, then applied two coats of POR15. Did it just in time as some of the pitting was getting deep!

Be well all,
Pat & Kids

Connect the cuts with a flat overlay welded on top of it. :glasses7:

Hey Folks,

Been awhile since our last update. The girls and I made some good progress. Got the sub-frame connectors welded in (welding upside down was quite interesting.) A little bit more challenging than doing it sunny side up! Funny how that molten metal drips...got some new ventilation in my clothing. And how is it that them little bits of lava find their way in behind the welding helmet and into my ear? :angryfir: Wasn't pretty, but they're in there nice and solid.

Before the fireworks!

Welded up the cracks in the floor, patched some damage and got rid of the rust and laid on a few coats of POR15. Also fabricating some seat mounting reinforcing plates to be tacked in from below.

Yesterday we laid down some sound deadener on the floor and inner door panels.

Next week we'll cut the new padding to size and lay in the ACC Carpet.

Daughter's cell phone video of the last drive months ago before we put the car up for the current work.

[ame=http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/emandm/1972%20Duster/VIDEO0131_zpsl1otvhuf.mp4]
th_VIDEO0131_zpsl1otvhuf.mp4
[/ame]

Can't wait to drive the car again!

Take care everyone.

Pat

I see a hump for a 4-speed and a small brake petal is it a factory 4-speed car?

I see a hump for a 4-speed and a small brake petal is it a factory 4-speed car?

Yes it is sireland67. Still has the clutch pedal in it. Someday I'd like to swap a 4 speed tranny back in her. Still have a lot of work to do, ie body work, front disc brake swap etc. before that. But I'll start sourcing the 4 speed parts before too long.

Pat

Good for you man, what a great way to spend time with your girls.

Hey Folks,
Been awhile since the last update. The girls finished freshman year, and both have their driving permits. Where does the time go?! Anyway, we made some progress this weekend. Finally got the carpet tacked down and in place, put the interior back in and took her out for a shakedown cruise. Gotta say I am really pleased with the improved ride quality, thanks to the $34 sub-frame connectors (Gotta clean up the welds and paint em.) No more creaks and groans when backing down the curb at the end of the drive, and she seems to launch much straighter. The ACC carpet looks and fits great, though now everything else looks aged and dingy LOL! One BIG plus is the nasty, stinky odors the car had are a thing of the past. The sound deadener also was a worthwhile $36 investment, makes cruise much more pleasant with the Flowmasters. We hope to start the body repairs next...

Be well all!

Pat and Kids

Hey Folks,
Been awhile since the last update. The girls finished freshman year, and both have their driving permits. Where does the time go?! Anyway, we made some progress this weekend. Finally got the carpet tacked down and in place, put the interior back in and took her out for a shakedown cruise. Gotta say I am really pleased with the improved ride quality, thanks to the $34 sub-frame connectors (Gotta clean up the welds and paint em.) No more creaks and groans when backing down the curb at the end of the drive, and she seems to launch much straighter. The ACC carpet looks and fits great, though now everything else looks aged and dingy LOL! One BIG plus is the nasty, stinky odors the car had are a thing of the past. The sound deadener also was a worthwhile $36 investment, makes cruise much more pleasant with the Flowmasters. We hope to start the body repairs next...

Be well all!

Pat and Kids

Purists may cringe at the idea of putting in frame connectors but they're one of the best investments to improve ride quality. These old cars sure seem to twist & squeak & rattle more without them.

The "Boss" wanted to go for a ride today. And she enjoyed herself! I only wound it up to 6K rpm for that 1-2 shift, but that was enough to put a big old smile on her face! I am very fortunate have 3 lovely ladies in my life, all of which appreciate the old cars!

Last edited:
Didn't we meet at the Naperville show a couple of years ago?.....I remember that yellow Duster and your crew.....top shelf all around.

Denny

Didn't we meet at the Naperville show a couple of years ago?.....I remember that yellow Duster and your crew.....top shelf all around.

Denny
Sure did Denny! The wife, kids and I all drooled over your car. Lol. And thank you, you're a class act as well man.

Take Care,
Pat

If you want to tidy up your seats buy some sem soap and some sem prep than sem vinyl paint. Your seats will look brand-new for just a few dollars. Apply during low humidity though.

If you want to tidy up your seats buy some sem soap and some sem prep than sem vinyl paint. Your seats will look brand-new for just a few dollars. Apply during low humidity though.

Thanks for the tip Howard. Was just researching our options. Much appreciated!

Pat

Hey Pat, we have to meet up at Naperville cruise on one of these Wednesday evenings. I should be there quite a bit this year when my son doesn't have base ball.

Mike

Hey Pat, we have to meet up at Naperville cruise on one of these Wednesday evenings. I should be there quite a bit this year when my son doesn't have base ball.

Mike

Hey Mike,
Yes! We WILL finally meet this year. Now that our car is back together, we'll definitely be hitting the area cruise nights. One of my daughters and I hit Braconi's last Wednesday. Was a nice night. Fairly good turnout. We enjoyed a few slices of pizza and had a nice evening. I'm traveling next week but plan on hitting Braconis the following week. Look forward to meeting you before too long man.

Pat

Hey Mike,
Yes! We WILL finally meet this year. Now that our car is back together, we'll definitely be hitting the area cruise nights. One of my daughters and I hit Braconi's last Wednesday. Was a nice night. Fairly good turnout. We enjoyed a few slices of pizza and had a nice evening. I'm traveling next week but plan on hitting Braconis the following week. Look forward to meeting you before too long man.

Pat
There is also a Sunday cruise at draft picks, on N Aurora road just west of RT.59 12:00 to 3pm haven't been there yet so not sure if it's any good.

-
Back