3 Generation Project

-
If $$$ permit planning on a 410 stroker w/6 pak & shaker hood.
We've already started with that end in mind. Pictures to follow.

The work force.

Attachments

• #5 PICT1499.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 2,145
  • #4 eng. compartment.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 2,204
  • #3 R side.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 2,128
  • #2 L side.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 2,162
  • #1 The labor.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 2,223
Sounds like that should be a fun project. My daughter bought a car to fix up and race right after she graduated from high school. she really dug into it and enjoyed what she learned. She was a pretty good driver too, she had really good reaction times. My son didn't really care to get into it. It will be a good experience for all three of you. Enjoy it. L8r

Jim

Car is pretty much rust free. Mostly surface and stained red from Arizona red sand.Pulling 273 w/auto trans, stripping interior.

Attachments

• #6 DSC_0037.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 2,076
  • #7 DSC_0104.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 2,105
  • #8 DSC_0109.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 2,083
Are you going to use the engine or do you have other plans...since it sounds like you are going with a 410 stroker. I may be interested in the engine and tranny....etc...

Looking thru dirty back window of gutted interior.

Attachments

• #9 Through dirty back window.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,979
My son got the mini tubs done.

Attachments

• #10 Tubs From Trunk.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 2,012
  • #11 From the front.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 2,017
  • #12.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 1,992
  • #13 Tubs From Inside.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,991
  • #14 Panel in.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 2,006
  • #15.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 1,980
  • #16 Tubs From underneath.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 2,000
  • #17.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 2,048
looks fun. I did my first cart at 16 with my father it was a Monte Carlo SS. loved that car, i miss it the most.

Got the back ½ undercoating 99% cleaned off. Doesn’t look too bad for 40 yr. old car

Attachments

• #20 Under Trunk.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 1,982
  • #19 Left and Right sides.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 1,976
  • #18 Clean Under Center 2.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 1,991
Remember that rusty ol trunk a few pictures back. Cleaned up pretty good.

Attachments

• #21 Trunk.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 1,989
  • #22 Trunk Left Side.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 1,981
  • #23 Trunk Right Side.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 1,994
Looking good, looking at the wheel tubs brought back nightmares. Thats a lot of welding, aint it?

This is "Generation 2" of "3 Generation Project". Just a little back info. My Dad came to me one day and asked “Would you like to restore a car?, I will fund the project if you and Josh (my son) do all the labor”......after a millisecond of thought I said HECK YES. The car is here with me and my son in Fort Worth. My Dad lives 60 miles away. He is in a wheelchair so he can’t do all of the physical stuff, but he is on the phone and internet constantly researching and refining his ideas. It truly is a collaberative effort. He has owned, worked on, and raced many cool cars over the years. I have owned and worked on two. Back in high school I owned a 75 Dart 318 for a short time. Then I had a 74 Dart /6 3 speed that my Dad and I changed over to a 4 speed. Speed shifting that car was fun. Putting 3 clutches in it over 3 years, not fun. This is the first “all out” restoration for all 3 of us. That is probably why I go from being giddy with excitement one minute to “What the heck have I gotten myself into” the next. I am trying to focus on and complete “little projects” and not look at the “WholeThing”. I will help my Dad out and add to this thread from time to time.

And Yes flyboy, doing the mini tubs was a lot more welding than I imagined it would be. It was great practice for a newbie welder.

Waiting on front and rear suspesion to arrive. It’s supposed to be here before Thanksgiving.
I hope so since I took 3 extra days of vacation so I can install the new parts.

Sorry for the long winded post.

I made decent progress over the weekend. I'm prepping everything for when the front suspension gets here. I basically removed the entire front suspension. I found an old issue of Car Craft that had step by step Mopar suspension removal. It helped having the pictures there to look at. It still went very slow, being my first time. I also received the US Car Tool chassis stiffening kit. When I opened the box it stiffened my chassis!

Attachments

• Stiffening kit.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 1,793
  • K Frame lowered.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 1,779
  • Torsion bars removed.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 1,831
  • Torsion bar ront removed.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,811
  • Torsion bar adjuster bolts.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 1,823
I’m getting behind in posting. A few more from the weekend.

Attachments

• #27 Torsion bars loose.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 1,739
  • #26 engine bay - torsion bars.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,708
  • #25 Drivers side front.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 1,771
  • #24 Front.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 1,779
  • #28 Passenger side.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 1,726
  • #29 Suspension disassembly.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 1,719
  • #30 Suspension disassembly2.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 1,737
  • #31 Suspension disassembly3.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 1,730
Front and rear suspension parts arrived today. Hooray :cheers:

Attachments

• #33 Front Suspension copy.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,579
I made decent progress over the weekend. I'm prepping everything for when the front suspension gets here. I basically removed the entire front suspension. I found an old issue of Car Craft that had step by step Mopar suspension removal. It helped having the pictures there to look at. It still went very slow, being my first time. I also received the US Car Tool chassis stiffening kit. When I opened the box it stiffened my chassis!

Cool thread! Can you tell me more about the components in the picture for the chassis stiffening?
I am always looking for something to help my convertible, but unfortunately since it has boxed frame rails, nothing out of the box fits that I have found.

-
Back