318 Poly A engine in a 67 Cuda

-
Have you looked up Bruce Toth or Gary Pavlovich on facebook? They do poly builds. I think Bruce Toth makes adapter plates to mount 3rd gen hemi manifolds to the poly heads
I have spoken to Toth. He has been very helpful. I have not talked to Gary.

I bought some header flanges off of eBay and a kit from summit racing with a bunch of pre bent 1 3/4 pipe and collectors.

worked great and was a fun project. The poly went in a truck so plenty of room, but im sure a set for an A body could be accomplished the same way.

The poly is a neat engine but has some drawbacks. It is as wide as a 440, heavy, and aftermarket support is very thin- and if you ever need to change a rocker arm with the engine in the vehicle it is a pain in the ***

The one in my truck runs great. Lots of torque, even below idle speed. We balanced the crankshaft and it is very very smooth.

I bought some header flanges off of eBay and a kit from summit racing with a bunch of pre bent 1 3/4 pipe and collectors.

worked great and was a fun project. The poly went in a truck so plenty of room, but im sure a set for an A body could be accomplished the same way.

The poly is a neat engine but has some drawbacks. It is as wide as a 440, heavy, and aftermarket support is very thin- and if you ever need to change a rocker arm with the engine in the vehicle it is a pain in the ***

The one in my truck runs great. Lots of torque, even below idle speed. We balanced the crankshaft and it is very very smooth.
I saw that kit. I don't know if it will help with my tight fit or not. I would still like to know the distance between a 62 to 66 B body torsion bars and the same on a 67 A body. That would be helpful.

I just went out and measured a 71 scamp at 22 1/2 inches and a 64 dodge330 at 24 1/2

thats not exact, just me laying on the gravel in the dark with 25 ft Stanley and a flashlight in a hurry because on its freaking cold

measured inside to inside of the mounting lugs protruding from the back of the crossmember, not center to center.

More reading on the subject.

Building a Poly is a cool thing. They can make power. Putting one in a Gen 2 Barracuda is another thing. Each to his own. That's hot rodding.

I think you'd be money ahead and have a better combo by installing a 383 or stroked 400. imo if you want the wow factor of a bigger engine.
Did you say 318 poly in a 67 Barracuda, really. I would have never given it a thought.

The headers for the Gen III Hemi (I believe) are all of the "shorty" and aren't all that helpful from a performance standpoint. I adapted Ford 302-351 headers to my Poly in the late 90s by way of a custom adapter I made. The port spacing is pretty close but it's the flange angle and bolt hole differences that you need to get around. I refused to go the TTI route and pay $ 750 (at the time) for mild steel headers. I paid $200 for very good quality stainless headers off of eBay.

My Engine.JPG

Have you looked up Bruce Toth or Gary Pavlovich on facebook? They do poly builds. I think Bruce Toth makes adapter plates to mount 3rd gen hemi manifolds to the poly heads
Yep those two are poly gurus. You might also go to FaceBook and go to the poly site there. I will bet someone ther can answer any question regarding the poly.

measured inside to inside of the mounting lugs protruding from the back of the crossmember, not center to center.
That was very very nice of you to do that for me. Thank you VERY much!! Good information.

The headers for the Gen III Hemi (I believe) are all of the "shorty" and aren't all that helpful from a performance standpoint. I adapted Ford 302-351 headers to my Poly in the late 90s by way of a custom adapter I made. The port spacing is pretty close but it's the flange angle and bolt hole differences that you need to get around. I refused to go the TTI route and pay $ 750 (at the time) for mild steel headers. I paid $200 for very good quality stainless headers off of eBay.

View attachment 1716023197
Thank you. Great looking engine. I don't have room in my cuda for the exhaust adapters. I'll likely cut the headers at the flange on the correct angle to reweld to poly flanges. That's my thought at the moment.

I have Poly I installed in a 66 valiant, it can be done with a little work. And as far as headers you will have to make a set. And I had a few sets of header flanges CNC made for rectangular and round tube out of stainless if you are interested

14595639_1222710811129897_7277114424754369873_n.jpg

If you do take pic's keep us informed be interesting. Wonder why people don't use these blocks
as a cheap race block for LA builds?
Weight. They are heavy compared to the LA engines. Valve layout is like the BBC, 385 Fords and Cleveland Fords, but preceeded all those.
They were a lower cost to produce than the hemis. The LA series is lighter and was lower cost to produce.

Weight. They are heavy compared to the LA engines. Valve layout is like the BBC, 385 Fords and Cleveland Fords, but preceeded all those.
They were a lower cost to produce than the hemis. The LA series is lighter and was lower cost to produce.
The R blocks are heavier yet and 4000$. The Poly heads are 10 pounds heavier each bare and the block is 23 pounds heavier than an La before it's bored to 4". The main webs are more solid not hollowed on one side and you can beef the bottom end up to hold 750 hp safe that the La can't take. If the poly heads wont fit I'll adapt the poly block to an La head and then supercharge it down the road. That's why I don't want to run a 340 or 360. They won't take the power I'm going to run as well. I can live with the extra weight if it will take the power.

Last edited:
Wait again. Put aluminum heads on it then it will weigh less than a LA. And while you're at it keep in mind the head design produces more torque than the LA head.

Wait again. Put aluminum heads on it then it will weigh less than a LA. And while you're at it keep in mind the head design produces more torque than the LA head.
I knew I would get kick back on the poly. I have 383's 440's ect. I don't want to be everyone else. I love to walk my own path. A stroked poly that's streetable with a torque storm putting it over 750 hp has super cool written all over it.

I think you'd be money ahead and have a better combo by installing a 383 or stroked 400. imo if you want the wow factor of a bigger engine.
Did you say 318 poly in a 67 Barracuda, really. I would have never given it a thought.
It appears nobody has. ;)

This one only makes 550 horsepower. But that was 8 years ago. Times have changed make more power.

[/URL]
I seen that article and several others. I think I can be in the 450 to 500 range and be very streetable. Then the Storm would take it over the top. I was going to build a stroked 340 but no matter what I do I'll be at or over the bottom end's limit. I have Milodon 4 bolt caps with splayed outside bolts that everyone says don't use because the block is thin there. Well the poly is NOT thin in that area and the caps are YUGE. Thinking replace the splayed bolts with studs. I also have a girdle but I'm not sure if it can be mated with the Milodon caps or not yet. So I have the option of using one or the other and maybe both! I can have a cam made, play a waiting game on a Windtunnel manifold, ad a flex fuel Killshot EFI and call it a day.

I've always liked the poly exhaust ports better than the la and big block that have the ports next to each other.
Poly reminds me of the Hemi exhaust ports.

IMG_1389.jpg

Last edited:
The R blocks are heavier yet and 4000$. The Poly heads are 10 pounds heavier each bare and the block is 23 pounds heavier than an La before it's bored to 4". The main webs are more solid not hollowed on one side and you can beef the bottom end up to hold 750 hp safe that the La can't take. If the poly heads wont fit I'll adapt the poly block to an La head and then supercharge it down the road. That's why I don't want to run a 340 or 360. They won't take the power I'm going to run as well. I can live with the extra weight if it will take the power.

You can buy a Ritter block for less than 4k.

Comparing an R block to a poly block is silly.

-
Back