5.7 HEMI VVT in Ram 1500

-

RedFish

Reaction score
The truck I'm looking at is 2010 model w/ 205K miles showing. Anything I should know that might prevent this purchase, please tell me. TIA

That's not too many unless you plan on flipping it again. For someone just looking for a cheap truck to run around in, and get a few parts, it should be just fine. I know Ram had valve train problems with the early hemi's, but that should have been resolved by 2010.

Best thing to do, is look up the recalls regarding that truck.

I
That's not too many unless you plan on flipping it again. For someone just looking for a cheap truck to run around in, and get a few parts, it should be just fine. I know Ram had valve train problems with the early hemi's, but that should have been resolved by 2010.

Best thing to do, is look up the recalls regarding that truck.
I'd be concerned about what kind of maintenance it had

if you can take it on a test ride without the owner, go on highway and try and go WOT and run all the way up the RPM range. If there is a misfire due to bad cam/lifter it will set off the CEL. That's the biggest issue with this motor. check oil pans as they might rust through at that mileage. I bought mine new in 2010 and have 207k on mine. ask if you can start the motor from cold, if it has a ticking sound that goes away within a minute or two, it's more than likely got a broken manifold bolt which is fairly common also due to slight warping with the manifold.

I have 395,000 miles on this.....

Ram Jam 1.JPG

So I recently bought this:

H 4.jpg

100,000 miles on the truck it came from, it was hit hard in the *** end.
I pulled the heads to have them checked out and rebuilt. The cylinders had less than 1/2 a thousandth of taper so I'm leaving the bottom end alone.

My truck still runs great once it is warmed up. I have a lot of confidence in these trucks. Good luck to you.

Owner does state that it has a misfire at #5 cylinder. I guess he has had it on a scanner. he said plugs, wires, and coil packs should take care of that but if I want that done before purchase the price will go up. I suspect he knows that wouldn't cure the misfire.
When I worked as used car dept' PDI, the problems were fixed before the vehicle was put on the line. Cost of repairs, detail, etc.., was added into the minimum sale price.
I'm not sure about offering a lower amount either. Some men love their truck like a second wife. I can just hear, " I'll keep it before I take less for it". I have failed to mention, 12K is his asking price.

Last edited:
I just sold a 2012 Ram 1500 4x4 with 160K Miles with
a Brand New 3 year warrantee on the new crate Hemi 5.7
for 10K that was a darn nice Truck that need nothing! Rust
free Nevada Truck

I think that the one you are looking at is no great bargain.
We live in the West where nice truck go for good money!

The cylinder misfires are often a cam lobe and lifter failing. If it was an easy fix, he would have done it before.

where are you located?
i think you can do better than that (in years, price or miles, pick one)

here is one that is just local to me

Autotrader - page unavailable
I'm in Anderson SC and this truck is in Charlotte NC. A few hours drive.
My wifes brother lives down at Summerville SC. He bought a 2013 model new. Copperhead pearl clearcoat metalic. Every time he drove that truck up here I told him, "Whenever you decide to let go of the truck I'll pay you for it". Since he runs a tow and recovery business and needed another tow rig, he worked a trade deal with that seller. :(
When they arrived here in his wives Navigator, I knew without asking. My truck was gone.
I've been on a medication that prevents my driving since I was hospitalized May 30th a year ago. My junior and his wife have lived here and helped me and my wife ever since. At the beginning of this past May the Doc. agreed to try changing my meds to something That I could take and drive again. It went very bad. I didn't even get to go to my brothers wifes funeral. Her funeral and my Doc appointment were both scheduled for 11:AM on that Friday. Entire family insisted I keep that Doc appointment. Yeah I'm back on the right pills and much better today. Looks like I'll never drive again. :(
Juniors Kia chit the bed. He's in the process of dropping a Jasper engine in it. Meanwhile they are driving my ragged *** 96 Camry, almost 300K miles on it. So I need a more dependable vehicle for others sake. Wifes RAV4 is 2011 model and while we've had very little trouble with it, it could lay down at any time. I expect it to need another water pump before winter and 160K miles.
In retrospect, I don't think anyone could talk me out of buying what I want, even if junior has to drop a Jasper engine in it too.
If I had heard/read RUN! VVT was nothing but trouble, Thats why it was discontinued, I would have to wait for later model, in same color of course. Just bare with me and thank you all for being here.

Last edited:
Owner does state that it has a misfire at #5 cylinder. I guess he has had it on a scanner. he said plugs, wires, and coil packs should take care of that but if I want that done before purchase the price will go up. I suspect he knows that wouldn't cure the misfire.
When I worked as used car dept' PDI, the problems were fixed before the vehicle was put on the line. Cost of repairs, detail, etc.., was added into the minimum sale price.
I'm not sure about offering a lower amount either. Some men love their truck like a second wife. I can just hear, " I'll keep it before I take less for it". I have failed to mention, 12K is his asking price.
that is a cam and lifter failure for sure. it will actually run normally until higher in the rpm range where the valves are not clearing the exhaust well enough. I would stay away, or price the truck needing a new engine which would be in the 5-6k range.

I bought my clean 2012 4x4 for $2,000 a year or two ago but it had
a bad engine and 150,000 miles on it. The new engine from Mopar
was about $5,000 with full warrantee.

I'm in Anderson SC and this truck is in Charlotte NC. A few hours drive.
My wifes brother lives down at Summerville SC. He bought a 2013 model new. Copperhead pearl clearcoat metalic. Every time he drove that truck up here I told him, "Whenever you decide to let go of the truck I'll pay you for it". Since he runs a tow and recovery business and needed another tow rig, he worked a trade deal with that seller. :(
When they arrived here in his wives Navigator, I knew without asking. My truck was gone.
I've been on a medication that prevents my driving since I was hospitalized May 30th a year ago. My junior and his wife have lived here and helped me and my wife ever since. At the beginning of this past May the Doc. agreed to try changing my meds to something That I could take and drive again. It went very bad. I didn't even get to go to my brothers wifes funeral. Her funeral and my Doc appointment were both scheduled for 11:AM on that Friday. Entire family insisted I keep that Doc appointment. Yeah I'm back on the right pills and much better today. Looks like I'll never drive again. :(
Juniors Kia chit the bed. He's in the process of dropping a Jasper engine in it. Meanwhile they are driving my ragged *** 96 Camry, almost 300K miles on it. So I need a more dependable vehicle for others sake. Wifes RAV4 is 2011 model and while we've had very little trouble with it, it could lay down at any time. I expect it to need another water pump before winter and 160K miles.
In retrospect, I don't think anyone could talk me out of buying what I want, even if junior has to drop a Jasper engine in it too.
If I had heard/read RUN! VVT was nothing but trouble, Thats why it was discontinued, I would have to wait for later model, in same color of course. Just bare with me and thank you all for being here.
shoot, what a mess

if i may be so free to gleam from this, all that caught your eye is the paint?
what configuration do you need? 2 door, 4 door
2WD AWD?
toss out a year range and lest see what we can find

you said this one is one state over (i drove 4 hours one way to pick my truck up, 2 states over) so maybe in a 150 mile range?

lets think this through, the rav is a 2011, with 160K on it

this ram is 2 years younger, but has 40K more miles on it...that is 25%

shoot, what a mess

if i may be so free to gleam from this, all that caught your eye is the paint?
what configuration do you need? 2 door, 4 door
2WD AWD?
toss out a year range and lest see what we can find

you said this one is one state over (i drove 4 hours one way to pick my truck up, 2 states over) so maybe in a 150 mile range?

lets think this through, the rav is a 2011, with 160K on it

this ram is 2 years younger, but has 40K more miles on it...that is 25%
Junior said similar last evening when I was still thinking about this purchase, "If its just the paint color, buy any truck and let my buddy spray it". I'll email this Craigslist seller and tell him I've changed my mind. Thanks to you and all who contributed here.
While this is unrelated to my current pondering... Back in 06, a cheap flights website put me on 4 different flights to reach Seattle from here. I bought and drove home a 67 notchback, 2854 miles in 3.5 days. A lot of gas and coffee. I'm too old for that chit today.

Junior said similar last evening when I was still thinking about this purchase, "If its just the paint color, buy any truck and let my buddy spray it". I'll email this Craigslist seller and tell him I've changed my mind. Thanks to you and all who contributed here.
While this is unrelated to my current pondering... Back in 06, a cheap flights website put me on 4 different flights to reach Seattle from here. I bought and drove home a 67 notchback, 2854 miles in 3.5 days. A lot of gas and coffee. I'm too old for that chit today.
im glad to hear that
like he said, a color change is easily accomplished

im glad to hear that
like he said, a color change is easily accomplished
I just don't like color change.
When I messaged the seller that I couldn't commit at 12K and my research dictates that the misfire is infect a faied lifter and cam lobe. He replied, "yep. Over the weekend I went ahead and had coil packs, plugs, and wires replaced.
About half way home and up to around 60mpg, the mis became more pronounced and the check engine lamp came back on.
I wont pay to renew the top end not knowing how long the bottom end will stay together. Bring me 9K and get it out of my misery".
Now what do you guys say?

Last edited:
I just don't like color change.
When I messaged the seller that I couldn't commit at 12K and my research dictates that the misfire is infect a faied lifter and cam lobe. He replied, "yep. Over the weekend I went ahead and had coil packs, plugs, and wires replaced.
About half way home and up to around 60mpg, the mis became more pronounced and the check engine lamp came back on.
I wont pay to renew the top end not knowing how long the bottom end will stay together. Bring me 9K and get it out of my misery".
Now what do you guys say?
Shoot, that's too cheap to pass and too expensive to buy

Let's assume 9K is his bottom dollar
What would it cost to have the cam and lifters replaced ?

Between you and me, lifter failure is the only concern I've ever heard off with the newer hemis, so his concern about the bottom may be ungrounded

I guess the real question is, are you willing to take the gamble on it?

Of course, any other vehicle with those miles would be the same gamble, wouldn't it ?

Shoot, that's too cheap to pass and too expensive to buy

Let's assume 9K is his bottom dollar
What would it cost to have the cam and lifters replaced ?

Between you and me, lifter failure is the only concern I've ever heard off with the newer hemis, so his concern about the bottom may be ungrounded

I guess the real question is, are you willing to take the gamble on it?

Of course, any other vehicle with those miles would be the same gamble, wouldn't it ?
Exactly. He said 9K was his absolute bottom dollar. My being on SS limited income and cant drive the dang thing anyway (due to my meds) seems to have plucked his heart strings. He says his local dodge dealer installed new water pump and radiator about a year ago. Has receipts for it. My junior can renew the top end for around a grand (giving me the labor charge).
As far as the gamble, I never have been much of a gambler other than buying used vehicles.
In this case I'm going to lay my chips on copperhead pearl coat metalic. There wasn't a lot of them produced. A 2017 sport model in that color was a limited production. That paint is expensive as hell. I hope Andy can strip it back to base coat and renew the pearlcoat at some point in the future.
I'll still use that big 2 letter word, IF we drive to Charlotte on Sunday. I'll post picks of it here on Monday.

Last edited:
Exactly. He said 9K was his absolute bottom dollar. My being on SS limited income and cant drive the dang thing anyway (due to my meds) seems to have plucked his heart strings. He says his local dodge dealer installed new water pump and radiator about a year ago. Has receipts for it. My junior can renew the top end for around a grand (giving me the labor charge).
As far as the gamble, I never have been much of a gambler other than buying used vehicles.
In this case I'm going to lay my chips on copperhead pearl coat metalic. There wasn't a lot of them produced. A 2017 sport model in that color was a limited production. That paint is expensive as hell. I hope Andy can strip it back to base coat and renew the pearlcoat at some point in the future.
I'll still use that big 2 letter word, IF we drive to Charlotte on Sunday. I'll post picks of it here on Monday.
sounds like you made yourself an informed decision

cool beans
(and with with the boy doing the top end, you're basically getting the truck for 10 grand)

let us know how it works out

OK here's how it went... Wifes Rav got us there with no trouble of course. When we turned the corner onto the owners street I knew right away that this truck wasn't the exact copper head color I was after. Owner said this color might be called tangerine. It had looked correct in his pictures on my laptop. The paint color became a no worries as it was purdy as any ernge truck I ever seed.
After my junior looked it over, drove it around a bit, he gave it 2 thumbs up.
I let the owner drive us to the notary public and back.
Wife drove it home from Charlotte while I sat in pass' seat with my senses on full alert. No check engine light, nothing other than tire balance to complain about. I'm guessing some stick on weighs have came off.
So at home we are again trying to take it all in. I noticed the back glass appeared to be split window. I asked Jr. "Does the back glass open?" He says, "yeah its a power window". He found the button in the overhead console thing.
He opened the window. When he pushed the button again to close the window that switch disappeared up into the console. Those type small issues aren't poor engineering but built in annoyances found in any vehicle. I call it built in obsolesce. The small failures accumulate until we are persuaded to go buy a new one.
Junior said, "With the chocolate over peanut butter interior and orange paint too, it needs a Reece's logo on it.
He got his sense of humor from his dad too.
I wont go out in the rain to share pics here today. I might call Reece's though LOL

Wife went out on the front porch and snapped a pic with her cell...

my 2010 Ram 1500.jpg

Last edited:
Well, my post with pic wont play for me. Maybe others can see it. I did find the browser setting that controls font\page size.
One odd issue with the truck that I don't recall ever seeing before. With ignition switch off, there are no brake lamps. i though brake lamps were always hot on everything. Junior suggested that the alarm system being able to flash brake lamps could be a factor. I think alarm system flashes 4 park lamps. What say yee? Ask elsewhere?
I'll go back and attempt to correct the previous post.

-
Back