**600hp sbm block limit? Or is it bs!!**

-
What makes me wonder is, just how much cylinder wall was left behind at a .100 overbore.

How thin is to thin of a cylinder wall?

What makes me wonder is, just how much cylinder wall was left behind at a .100 overbore.

How thin is to thin of a cylinder wall?
Idk but I’d say that’s more than I’d want to do lol. I think they pushed the boundaries for a dyno contest but clearly it did perform well for the application

Idk but I’d say that’s more than I’d want to do lol. I think they pushed the boundaries for a dyno contest but clearly it did perform well for the application
That was my thought as well. Though I’d still like to know how much wall thickness was left over. Maybe we will get a been there and done that machinist?

What head gaskets are you guys using with the turbos? Any problems with blowing them out? Not much clamping force at that level without the extra head bolts that the aftermarket blocks have.
I used Cometic MLS sprayed with copper coat & used ARP Studs. I also torqued the heads another 20 pounds. Up till now it has still not popped a head gasket & this engine is seasoned.

So 750hp is the new 600…..
to be honest you rarely hear about block issues with the LA. Our old 340 block served us well until the Eagle rod exited. Mains looked like new when it expired just short of 200 passes.… but it led an easy life. My dad short shifted it for most of its life as the car wasn’t 9.99 legal. Think he was shifting at 5800. We ramped it up to 7200 one time and it clicked of a 9.7. Prob was 9.5s in it if the damn W5s wouldn‘t have broken our hearts. Our block was 1/2 filled and we did run aftermarket main caps.

View attachment 1716174857
Were those steel or aluminum main caps? Just curious. They do look pretty stout.

I used Cometic MLS sprayed with copper coat & used ARP Studs. I also torqued the heads another 20 pounds. Up till now it has still not popped a head gasket & this engine is seasoned.
So what was total head torque? 120 ft lb ?

Would a poly block handle even more power?
Got to be thicker in a lot of places, since LA is a Lighter A.

They were steel. Very short run on those caps

I know I will never go through changing caps on a block again but if I did I would go with aluminum. I don’t think those 440source billet caps helped my 440 life one bit longer and if anything shortened that blocks life.

Sorry to ask what you have probably already stated, how many PSI?
This engine was built for boost but it ended up being on the bottle. It now is Turbo and I have not tuned the on it just yet. The most boost I’ve seen so far on the Transbrake is 8 psi at 3500 RPM I’m sure it’ll make 20+ pounds or more if I let it. I have not driven it yet. Right now its getting a new hood and some other minor stuff. After that, I will start tuning on it. Most likely it will be a couple weeks. This is not a max effort build this is my street car. 1000 to the tire I’ll be good with that. Im thinking 15psi should get me there.

Don’t worry…. I was able to hold a sermon reading scripture from the direct connection engines book to MadDart and Turbodart68 on this stock block nonsense at Irwindale today. Think I got em straightened out

nice to meet you guys and look forward to your results!

Don’t worry…. I was able to hold a sermon reading scripture from the direct connection engines book to MadDart and Turbodart68 on this stock block nonsense at Irwindale today. Think I got em straightened out

nice to meet you guys and look forward to your results!
lol! Nice meeting you as well.

If there is one thing I HATE about car forums and fb groups, its people who have not done it spreading fear and bullshit. It's why I always end any question I ever post with "Please post your experience"...If you don't have the experience, why even reply? If someone asked how much it costs to build a competitive pro modified car with a breakdown of prices, I would never respond because I have never done it...But so many clowns think they are "helping" when they pass along bullshit wives tales, and they are lucky if their car with a slant even runs LOL

This thread should in reality actually be incredibly short. I don't think there was ever evidence posted in here that would discredit the "600hp and its gonna blow up" question...We should be riding the SBM chariot like the badass engine it is! ahaha
This is pretty much what I think, as a relatively new car hobbiest/Mopar fanatic (started March of 2020) I shut my trap and listened to the top dogs. I asked stupid questions, sure, but I listened and learned. First build was a mediocre RV cammed 360 making 300 HP and probably 430 ft lbs but I've decided to step my game up with a 3.58" stroke W9 360 using a factory 1970 360 block (yes 1970 cast date even though they came out in 1971) and the goal is 700 HP N/A running a 4 speed in my childhood longbed D150. Based on the setup a simulation dyno claims 690 HP with 549 ft lbs. Guess we'll find out the limit but wouldn't have gotten this far had I not decided to ignore the jackasses

This is pretty much what I think, as a relatively new car hobbiest/Mopar fanatic (started March of 2020) I shut my trap and listened to the top dogs. I asked stupid questions, sure, but I listened and learned. First build was a mediocre RV cammed 360 making 300 HP and probably 430 ft lbs but I've decided to step my game up with a 3.58" stroke W9 360 using a factory 1970 360 block (yes 1970 cast date even though they came out in 1971) and the goal is 700 HP N/A running a 4 speed in my childhood longbed D150. Based on the setup a simulation dyno claims 690 HP with 549 ft lbs. Guess we'll find out the limit but wouldn't have gotten this far had I not decided to ignore the jackasses
Yup! Its why I took a long break from forums or other discussion groups. I will still post the odd question here and there, but there almost always seems to be a clown with nothing to add other than an answer to something that is completely off topic from the question or something they have never done...actually makes me a bit concerned how many people either cant read or talk out of their a$$ lol

Good luck on that D150 build! Sounds like its going to be a riot!

If tuned properly you'll be ok. I've got a LA 360 block 421" that makes a honest 680 hp. It's got over 100 passes on it. No problems so far. Lots of people have made more HP than I with stock blocks.

FB_IMG_1699412864750.jpg

20231104_133645.jpg

If tuned properly you'll be ok. I've got a LA 360 block 421" that makes a honest 680 hp. It's got over 100 passes on it. No problems so far. Lots of people have made more HP than I with stock blocks.
Mind if I ask if yours has any fill or not? I prefer not to fill mine.

Cool deal. How did you get around the 59 degree lifter angle. W9 is 48 degree. The pushrods will hit the head.
Yup! Its why I took a long break from forums or other discussion groups. I will still post the odd question here and there, but there almost always seems to be a clown with nothing to add other than an answer to something that is completely off topic from the question or something they have never done...actually makes me a bit concerned how many people either cant read or talk out of their a$$ lol

Good luck on that D150 build! Sounds like its going to be a riot!
I agree. I dont come here much anymore. I have put up lots of evidence to support that a SBM will take well over 1k with turbo or nitrous. I truly think the SBM is truly underrated. I am gearing up to do a youtube video of a cheap chinese turbo kit on a stock 5.9 magnum to show that it can make over 1k hp with a sbe.

Cool deal. How did you get around the 59 degree lifter angle. W9 is 48 degree. The pushrods will hit the head.

I agree. I dont come here much anymore. I have put up lots of evidence to support that a SBM will take well over 1k with turbo or nitrous. I truly think the SBM is truly underrated. I am gearing up to do a youtube video of a cheap chinese turbo kit on a stock 5.9 magnum to show that it can make over 1k hp with a sbe.
With some research and talking to a handful of people that have done factory LA/Magnum engines with W9s. W9s actually had a 59° variant but they are uncommon and it's actually recommended to use the 48° on the 59° block. You have to do some ever so slight clearancing for the pushrod guides. Then have to use W9 Raised Port rockers for the proper rocker offset. Not too hard based off of others experiences. Spacers must be made to make the intake fit but that's not a big deal.

Also I'd love to read your articles you mentioned about SBM taking 1,000 HP. I love to read info like that. Actually was just discussing with my coworker about using the Borg Warner S475 he has sitting on his shelf and upgrading a Magnum 360 to 375 HP before turboing. Using the math formula for turbo hp ((20 psi ÷ 14.7) + 1) × 375 N/A hp = 885 Turbo HP.

Last edited:
-
Back