'69 Valiant 2DR Project

-
Found an LSD on my parts rack. Also ordered a 3.73 ring and pinion, already have 489 case and a center section rebuild kit. I think the LSD is an Auburn "Pro-Series" but I'm not sure, it's 30 spline and an 8.75 ring slips right on it.

LsoxIMH.jpg

9S7zfTd.jpg

Setting up this differential has been an absolute chore. I'm not sure what's going on with it but a can't seem to get consistent readings on the backlash. I've tried to set it three times so far.

kXThEUT.jpg

looks like ur progressing nicely ! i like that body style and would buy one if i found one i good shape ! i gotta 340 sitting in the corner i’d love the run again …

looks like ur progressing nicely ! i like that body style and would buy one if i found one i good shape ! i gotta 340 sitting in the corner i’d love the run again …
just realized ur in rochester, i’m not far from u probably about 80 mi south

just read the whole thread. Now I’m caught up and following for the first fire up!! Nice work on the whole car so far.

I've used a dial indicator to set backlash like my first few times and from there have set it up by feel. Never had an issue. I have a friend whose a local old school drag race legend here who even sets backlash up at zero and lets it wear in the lash on break in. He's probably 85 or so now and has been doing it longer than I've been alive. He calls it a "loose zero". lol

I've used a dial indicator to set backlash like my first few times and from there have set it up by feel. Never had an issue. I have a friend whose a local old school drag race legend here who even sets backlash up at zero and lets it wear in the lash on break in. He's probably 85 or so now and has been doing it longer than I've been alive. He calls it a "loose zero". lol

I've never messed with differentials before so I don't know what I don't know, you know? I'll try again tomorrow before work.

I've never messed with differentials before so I don't know what I don't know, you know? I'll try again tomorrow before work.
Well like I always say, what I know fits on the head of pin with room left over. lol

I’ve been putting in some time whenever I get some, down a guy at work so lots of overtime is cutting in on the project.

ECU is installed, along with a data port in the dash. Battery cutoff switch in the bumper and another in the dash. Knock sensors installed and wired. Did some welding on the compressor housing and radiator. Made a coil harness. Got the battery and trunk wiring panel made. Along with the fan and alternator wiring. Still have to pull the pan and install the oil pump. I’m hoping to have this motor fired up sooner rather than later.

View attachment 1716099657

View attachment 1716099658

View attachment 1716099659

View attachment 1716099660

View attachment 1716099661

View attachment 1716099662

View attachment 1716099663
I totally missed the knock sensor part. What sensor is that and which ECU? Looks like you mounted it to the magnum motor mount boss? Nice!

I totally missed the knock sensor part. What sensor is that and which ECU? Looks like you mounted it to the magnum motor mount boss? Nice!

The knock sensors are Bosch 0261231188, one for each bank, and the connectors are EV1. I had to ream out the through-hole for the 3/8" bolt, IIRC the sensor bolt holes are 8mm. I'm using a Terminator X ecu.

Edit: To expand on the sensor selection, I chose these sensors because of the mounting style and supposedly they are non-resonant sensors that will pick up all frequencies, and can filter the frequency through the TermX. Bosch Motorsport also makes knock sensors that look externally very similar to these OEM ones, but they are much more expensive. If these don't work out I will pick up the Motorsport ones later, maybe.

Last edited:
You might find that they work too well. It’s very hard (at least in my limited experience) to filter out the actual frequency of knock and pinpoint it. False knock retard is a real thing.

You might find that they work too well. It’s very hard (at least in my limited experience) to filter out the actual frequency of knock and pinpoint it. False knock retard is a real thing.

Yeah I've read about that. I'll likely not use an automatic knock retard, at least not right off the bat. In theory from what I've read, I should be able to use second and third order harmonics to hopefully filter out non-knock noise.
I just figured the ECU has two knock inputs and I'll be damned if I didn't spend $1k to not use every last input and output. :lol:

Ok, so I figured out my issue regarding setting up the differential. In my haste, I read the marker on the pinion as "11", missing the "0". After further inspection its not "110" that would seem way too excessive, it's "40". My .010 shim was not nearly enough. Ruined the bearing pulling it off, so I have another coming from amazon tomorrow. Hopefully that solves my issue.

I got the center section where I need it. We’ll see if it whines if I ever get this car on the road.

I also got the coils mounted on the valve covers. I welded up the breather holes and welded on some alu D585 coil brackets. I’ll add -10AN bungs on the back of the covers for a puke tank. Also got some spark plugs and wires on it.

Next I’ll work on a permanent rad and intercooler mount so I can finalize the cold side and coolant lines. The boom tubes are temporary, I’ll have to make some new ones with pie cuts to route them the way I want them.

HJQgQLG.jpg

lEKKkfq.jpg

ufHwDc1.jpg

gpTX7jB.jpg

Last edited:
I hooked up some wiring things, just temporarily, to get power to the engine harness, ECU, ignition switch, and starter. Starter spins up and the ECU powers up properly. I don't have the torque converter in, so it doesn't kick the engine over. I still have to pull the trans to install the TC and valve body. I hooked up the laptop and loaded a tune file today, found some issues with the MAP, MAT, and CTS sensors. The MAP connector is wired backwards so it's pinned to a high reading. The MAT and CTS sensors are two wire thermistor sensors, so I'll have to do some research on how to test those sensors and wiring, they are reading Low Error, same reading when unplugged. I really hope it's something simple as I really don't want to have to send this ECU back. I also got a new rad, 12" fans and shroud that need some customizing. The shroud needs to be trimmed in a couple of the corners to fit like I want it and AN bungs welded for the inlet and outlet. I have some brackets for the rad mounts being laser cut so hopefully I'll have those this week.

A2KsshV.jpg

Nice to see progress on this! Glad you got the differential figured out.

I’ve been working long hours so I haven’t been able to do much of the fab work that needs to get done.

I have an update on the sensor issue though. Unfortunately after troubleshooting and de-looming the whole harness, it turns out the ECU is no good. I sent it back to Holley and they confirmed it. Thank god I found out now and not next month as they only honor a 1 year warranty and I’d be out another $800 dollars for a replacement ECU. They stated I should get it late October or early November.

Just a word of advice for anyone considering a Holley ECU, test it immediately as soon as you get it.

I got the radiator lower supports tacked in place which puts the radiator where I want it. Also made the upper and lower coolant hoses and mocked up the fans and shroud.

vDEtj7z.jpg

sEQ26wj.jpg

I really like the way you bent those down bars and tied them to the frame. I’m stealing…err…borrowing that idea.
Steal away! I will add that the total structure isn’t done though, I’ll be adding a removable cross brace and probably something that ties into the upper shock mounts.

Pulled the trans today to change out the valve body. Going in is a Turbo Action reverse manual valve body. Check out the oil baffle that was in this trans, pretty neat. The valve body that was in it is pretty slick too apparently, my friends uncle set this trans up years ago and my friend wants this VB back. I have to get a new filter extension as turbo action wants a pickup with only one hole. Also got some new heads so I decided to mock up the rockers.

3wVsfdh.jpg

e2P313E.jpg

aVwgmyS.jpg

3oL50f8.jpg

-
Back