A 1974 Duster - My 2nd one, 41 years later!

-
I would think there should be around .010" side clearance between pairs. See what Hughes recommends. Being aluminum, they will expand a little. Hell, I give my stainless rockers .012" between pairs.

Found it, from Hughes Website: Total side clearance between a pair of rockers should be 0.005”/0.015”

So I will have to go back through each pair and remove one .015 shim. Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

Sold some things I had sitting around the house that I no longer needed. Generated enough funds to purchase a set of Dougs D453 ceramic coated headers....They are on the way!!!

Higgs will be stopping by over here later today to implement his extreme supervisory skills as we determine the correct length for the pushrods. I will be ordering a custom set of pushrods from Smith-Bros. tomorrow.....hopefully.

Pics or it didn't happen. Must have sold a bunch to get coated headers.:poke:

Nope...only one item. I had some new never installed custom built HID projector headlights for my F150 truck that HaloLifts doesn't have anymore. They sold for $1200,00 this morning. Headers!!!

Yes, pics as soon as the Dougs arrive!

I was talking about pics of you and Higgs doing the pushrods bop.

Shoot...I didn't get pics of Higgs today, no one here to take pics of me and Higgs...I will have to remember next time. We got the pushrods all dialed in. Calling Smith Bros in the morning!

Last edited:
nobody wants to see my ugly mug anyway. alex was in rare form yesteday, i brought over seven beers for him and three for me.............he then told me "i'm not going to drink to much today" i replied with: "yes u are...........i don't like you much when your sober".........truth hurts sometimes, but was mainly hysterical.........higgs

^ Yes it was hilarious!!! It's good to have Higgs over.

Talked with Smith Bros. yesterday over the phone....Sending adjustable pushrod to them today. They will make the pushrods and return the adjustable one with the newly made pushrods. Shouldn't take them very long.

Last edited:
Heck ya, I'm up for a stab the motor party. When do we bring our favorite color and paint the car?

Paint will be after mechanical. I will be getting serious about the paint. Just bought an Iwata AZ3 primer gun and a Devilbiss Tekna Pro-Lite for the base/clear.

Last edited:
Lil' test fit for photo op'

32262091982_50566ac3cc_b.jpg
IMG_3905 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

Tell the truth, you had the stool on the other side, holding onto the shifter and making vroom vroom sounds.:poke:

Tell the truth, you had the stool on the other side, holding onto the shifter and making vroom vroom sounds.:poke:
Put a prop on that thing and some gas in a jug and you can fly it around the neighborhood...Very Nice!

Smith Bros. Pushrods called today, they received the adjustable pushrod I sent into them. They said I should get the newly made pushrods on Friday!

Last edited:
With the pushrods on the way soon, I am gathering up all the things I can put on the engine while it's on the stand. Last night I bolted the brackets and the PS pump to the engine. Ordered the V belts, hoses are here ready to go. I needed an Alternator so I ordered one of these, 100 amp 3 wire version, yes I will be upgrading the wiring and deleting/by passing the dash amp meter. Edging closer to installing this engine, can't wait!

32511422535_8701653953_z.jpg
tff-8509rfsp_jy_xl by Alexl5280, on Flickr

Last edited:
Enjoyed reading your Duster ,that trooper was just looking for and excuse to look at your car.

^ Thanks Oliver70, Yes he may have wanted to see the car, but it sure seemed like he just wanted to give me a lecture I didn't need....about towing.

So...engine install is coming soon. Paint will be after engine install. Mr. Devillbis showed up today. Not a cheap gun by any means, but from what I have researched this gun lays base and clear on like glass. I got it in the cupless version as I will be using the disposable DeKups that Devilbiss makes. It was a great deal from Summit $427 and change delivered.

31710009983_f1d8cab3fc_b.jpg
IMG_3911 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

Last edited:
The 100 amp Alternator arrived, so I bolted it up. Gates V belts arrived also. Realized I had the wrong water pump pulley, so I found the correct one on ebay,... hopefully have it soon. I'm thinking next Saturday this goes in the car!

32183597570_cd5a5c633b_b.jpg
IMG_3915 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

Last edited:
Ok, Talked with Higgs this morning...We are going to install the engine next Saturday 2-4-17. We are going to meet over here at 9 am. So....calling to Dave and Brock...9am or there a bouts??? If you guys can make it and would like to come over, you are more than welcome. I will pull the bar-bee-que out and and we'll have some fine brats for lunch, beers and Cokes.

Last edited:
-
Back