A-Body Fuel Tank Pad

-

Bea

Dodge Damsel
Reaction score
Hey All!

I'm getting everything together for the gas tank drop & replacement to be done on the Lancer. I have a new fuel tank sending unit with brass float, ground, locking ring & rubber seal & new tank. I am wondering if you all have any connections for a replacement Gas/Fuel Tank Pad.

I saw this pad on a local site. (See Attached Pic)

This Gas/Fuel Tank Pad fits a '63 Dodge Dart and & '62 Plymouth Valiant, which I believe, is basically the same pad for all. What's your opinion or suggestions for the pad?

I am taking the Lancer to have this done...too much for me to do right now.

Do you have any idea what price range I should be looking at for the "Labor Only" for this job? Don't want to get screwed! ~ Thanks, Bea

Attachments

• gas tank pad.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 782
Grab some roofing underlayment, the black stuff they put on roofs before layin the shingles. I had my old one to use as a template. Even doubled it up. Cheap n easy.

Not sure if it would work good but what about using the heat sheild/sound deadener that seems popular for floor/under carpet applications? it seems that peice of foam would hold water and get crappy, Probably why the factory used some kind of tar paper type material like pntastar69 suggested.

just my $.02

Bea, if you were closer, you could come by and chat with the wife on a Saturday...or maybe yall could even go shoppin and I would be glad to do it.....just to meet a new friend. Fuel tank replacement in these little cars is a walk in the park. Two things I didn't see you mention. One is the rubber boot that the filler neck goes through in the trunk. They always crack and can tear if you're not careful when doing the job. The other is the little foam gasket that seals the filler inlet flange to the back of the quarter panel where it sticks through. It is a very simple job especially if you take it in with the tank almost empty. I can have that tank out in less than 15 minutes. If I was doing it for a paying customer in my old shop I ran I would do the whole job for 75 bucks.

All of the rubber gasket/seals/o-ring...has been replaced and a new Fuel Tank Sending Unit installed. However, the gas gauge is still not working. Wiring...I thinking?

you could take sending unit out and play with it to see if wiring is ok.? if its working...

I'd first look behind cluster....but I dont really know.... I take shots in the dark before the sun is up :)

How is the ground strap on the fuel line? Gauge will not work with out it. As a wiring test you ground the gauge wire (to the frame not the tank) and you should see "full" on the gas gauge.

Guys! I had someone remove & replace the tank...just got the car back today, after 2 weeks! All I smell is gas. I guess that's normal??? Don't see any leaks. As far as the ground...I will get under there sometime soon. As far as the A/C...screw it! They weren't able to do the job...first it was the bracket, then the pulley(s), then the fan...then change out to electric fan...then the radiator wouldn't fit. I'm so FRUSTRATED! Did I mention that one of the guys is an A**! I called to ask him a couple of questions about the rubber seals for the gas tank/filler and he told me all was fine, so I ask about the A/C and he said..."Well if I didn't have to answer all your questions, I might could finish the job!" I thinkin' here...I was his customer and a very nice one, I was never out of the way at all. Before I left I checked the trunk for my Lancer Service Manual because I didn't see it in the seat and he yelled " Yeah...I put all your parts in the trunk, they're all there!" But now i'm not being nice...he can go suck a big one! I'll just take a break from it until my surgery is done. Too much stress for me right now. I just really wanted to have the A/C for my follow up visit and other trips. Whatever!!!

Bea,
I surprised you had the gonads to pop open parts of your engine and do the work there yourself but contracted out the replacing of the fuel tank. what made you contract this one out?

Bea,
I surprised you had the gonads to pop open parts of your engine and do the work there yourself but contracted out the replacing of the fuel tank. what made you contract this one out?

I wasn't sure about handling the gas tank part of it...KABOOM...if you know what I mean! It's all done now...just need someone to resuce me with installing the A/C.

Took the car on an errand this morning and...all I smell is GAS! I smell like GAS! The inside of the car smells like GAS! WTF?! I just had the tank replaced and it sure didn't smell like this before! It smaells like someone just pumped about 5 gallons into the inside.............FRUSTRATED!

Sounds like the vent is not in the correct place must be venting into car or fill tube is not connected properly and is venting into car.

Hey Bea, I am currently doing the exact same thing to my 65 Valiant and I will have to replace the rubber gromet/seal that goes in the tank for the filler neck. If they did not install it right or put the old one back in with cracks, you will get gas fumes in the car. I would check there first. If I were closer (N.C.), I would certanly give you a hand. Good luck, Jerry

No, it is not normal for you to be smelling gas. Your contractor didn't do the work carefully or completely. Now you face the choice of going back to the same contractor and demanding the job be redone correctly, or finding a new contractor. :-(

I had the same problem till I found the rubber gas line at the tank was cracked and leaking gas. It does not take much to smell it inside but it has to be fixed. You may also want to check the fuel pump area, you could have a leaky diaphram (I've had that too).

Well did you find the problem just curious. But you know what happend to the cat.

I too will be replacing tank, pad, everything up through fuel pump and want to go with AN lines / fittings. My question is do I run the ground from the sending unit to the frame instead of to the an line (I know - stupid question...). Thanks.

Well did you find the problem just curious. But you know what happend to the cat.

I just had surgery on Friday, 04/01...so, I haven't done anyting with the car as of today. I did call the shop where I took it and theya re going to see what the problem is and whatthey need to correct from their installing the tank.

Sounds like the vent is not in the correct place must be venting into car or fill tube is not connected properly and is venting into car.

Ding...Ding...Ding...You're the Winner!
The shop didn't hook it backup...now isn't that just a fine thing to leave a customer with! NOT!

Bea, where ya been??? We all miss you smiling tongue in cheek commentary on the episodes with your Mopar. Drop a line and let us know how things are going.

-
Back