Any 9/10 Second Small Block Nitrous Combos Out There

-

Abodysloth

Reaction score
Looking to use some parts I already have on this combo. M1 Intake, 750 or 850 Holley double pumper, (Camshaft will a new hyd. roller/roller lifter set up for Nitrous lobe separation etc) Ported X or J head, 340 Stock Block, Steel crank. rod & forged piston. w arp bottom end. 3 speed automatic. headers, MSD, MSD Dist. 355s in 8/3/4 with a slick. Drag strip use only. Car has a cage.

Looking to use some parts I already have on this combo. M1 Intake, 750 or 850 Holley double pumper, (Camshaft will a new hyd. roller/roller lifter set up for Nitrous lobe separation etc) Ported X or J head, 340 Stock Block, Steel crank. rod & forged piston. w arp bottom end. 3 speed automatic. headers, MSD, MSD Dist. 355s in 8/3/4 with a slick. Drag strip use only. Car has a cage.
I don't believe you will get there with that combo no matter how much you shove down its throat. HYD Roller and 9 seconds? Your going to have to spin that motor to death. Solid Roller and swap out the heads to something that flows well over what X or J Heads can do. Your going to have to spend some $ that's for sure and change your combo drastically IMO.

Right now I am building a 440 cubic inch small block using a Ritter Block and Brett Miller W9's built for boost.
That combo with 10:1 compression will make 850hp Naturally Aspirated. You are going to need that kind of power or
It is gong to have to weigh 2000lbs with your combo.

Ok mid 10s... I'm newer to the Mopar world but I have taken a Chevy 355 with steel head nothing special in a non gutted Malibu and went 11.50s on the motor & 9.80 on spray. So I figured a Chrysler could do it aswell without ton of high end stuff. I admit I do feel a solid roller & a trick flow head would get me there but was looking to see how close ppl have come with a lesser combo.

Here's my current combo that made 429 hp to the tires and guess probably close to 600 crank. Haven't made it to the track but should be a solid mid 10 sec car on motor only and low 9's with a 150 shot.

Balanced 408 stroker with 12.5:1 CR running on Renegade 112 octane race gas
Out of the box Trick Flow Heads with titanium keepers
Out of the box Trick Flow Intake blueprinted on install to perfectly match up ports
Thumper 850 (flows 977) carb.
Comp Cams solid roller cam 660/660 and 258/264 @ .050 108 CL
Harland Sharp 1.5 ratio roller rockers
Hedman Hustler 1 7/8 race headers with 3.5" collectors
3" dual exhaust with mandrel bend x-pipe and Dynomax UltraFlow mufflers, with turndowns and no tailpipes.

MSD 7AL3 ignition with a MSD Billet distributor locked out at a conservative 36 degrees and a 7000 RPM pill.
NGK FR7 plugs gapped at .040

Built 727
PTC 5800 8" non-lockup converter (tight)

4" chromoly drive shaft

Fabricated 9" with 4.30 pro gears and spool and 40 spline axles

IMG_1907.jpeg

Here's my current combo that made 429 hp to the tires and guess probably close to 600 crank. Haven't made it to the track but should be a solid mid 10 sec car.

Balanced 408 stroker with 12.5:1 CR running on Renegade 110 octane race gas
Out of the box Trick Flow Heads with titanium keepers
Out of the box Trick Flow Intake blueprinted on install to perfectly match up ports
Thumper 850 (flows 977) carb.
Comp Cams solid roller cam 660/660 and 258/264 @ .050 108 CL
Harland Sharp 1.5 ratio roller rockers
Hedman Hustler 1 7/8 race headers with 3.5" collectors
3" dual exhaust with mandrel bend x-pipe and Dynomax UltraFlow mufflers, with turndowns and no tailpipes.

MSD 7AL3 ignition with a MSD Billet distributor locked out at a conservative 36 degrees and a 7000 RPM pill.
NGK FR7 plugs gapped at .040

Built 727
PTC 5800 8" non-lockup converter (tight)

4" chromoly drive shaft

Fabricated 9" with 4.30 pro gears and spool and 40 spline axles
I like that, you have all the goodies. I know that will get you there. I just want to try to use some of what I have to have some fun. I don't know how long I will last in the Old School Mopar Gang. I'm use to boosted application. I need your combo before this one :) LOL

I like that, you have all the goodies. I know that will get you there. I just want to try to use some of what I have to have some fun. I don't know how long I will last in the Old School Mopar Gang. I'm use to boosted application. I need your combo before this one :) LOL
I can see you getting mid 10's spraying with the combo you listed provided you pick the right cam and converter. I too am used to boosted applications and this is my first attempt back to naturally aspirated old school stuff in 30+ years. lol

Looks like you are in Michigan not far from me. @motorcitymagnum has a similar combo, well prepared, but with better airflow from ported Magnum Edelbrock heads. His details are in the thread below, page 14, post 346.

post your 9second and quicker combo's here!

I can see you getting mid 10's spraying with the combo you listed provided you pick the right cam and converter. I too am used to boosted applications and this is my first attempt back to naturally aspirated old school stuff in 30+ years. lol
Cool I'll take a mid 10 second pass. Yeah the boosted stuff makes so much power you really don't have to sixty ft the hell out of it and it pulls hard mid range and top end for a good ET. The older stuff is different. Didn't see the pic on your post the 1st time! It looks killer with the front runners and color!

Go to the Racing Forum section at this site, there's stickies for different et's look at the 11s/10s most are NA so with a 100-200 hp shot should get you in the right direction.

If you're just trying to hit number, just follow your Chevy setup. Tens is a light A body should be achievable as long as the chassis, converter is up to snuff.

My question is with a race only car, bracket style, you want something repeatable that will last a season or so, not a time bomb for bragging rights.

You shouldn't have a problem getting mid 400 hp with a race 340 setup (cam/cr) with ported x/j heads add 150-250 hp shot for 600+ hp.

Ok mid 10s... I'm newer to the Mopar world but I have taken a Chevy 355 with steel head nothing special in a non gutted Malibu and went 11.50s on the motor & 9.80 on spray. So I figured a Chrysler could do it aswell without ton of high end stuff. I admit I do feel a solid roller & a trick flow head would get me there but was looking to see how close ppl have come with a lesser combo.
FWIW, a ported X, J, etc…. head is capable of approximately 275 cfm. Beyond that, it’s larger valves and port adjustment for the larger valves. I would not expect much more.
You shouldn't have a problem getting mid 400 hp with a race 340 setup (cam/cr) with ported x/j heads add 150-250 hp shot for 600+ hp.
I’ll make mid 400hp falling out of bed sick and hung over.
LMAO!

I'm assuming you mean crank hp and not wheel. If so, I agree. lol

-
Back