Anybody notice this when driving your Mopar?

-
Last summer waiting at a stop light a mother and her young son were standing at the bus stop. The mom points at my car and tells her son to look at the cool car and then asks me if I could rev up the motor for her son,I said no problem proceeded to do so and scared the hell out of the kid,I guess thats the last time that mom makes that request!!

tn_IMG_0303.jpg

I get these reactions all the time - LOVE it. I'm an attention *****, what can I say. Coolest thing happened a couple months ago heading home up the interstate. I'm cruising along in the right lane, light traffic, nice sunny day, enjoying the ride. I notice a vehicle from my peripheral vision in the left lane slightly behind me, pacing me. I didn't even look for like almost a full minute before I start to "hear" this guy yelling at me. I turn to look and see him and his buddy are laughing and waving giving me the thumbs up. So I drop it into 3rd an nail it. In the mirror I see them almost hanging out the windows pumping their fists in the air. Of course, I couldn't "hear" them anymore. Too cool.

Nothing wrong with that, guys like to see your car go. I'm happy to drive something different, I get sick of seeing Mustangs all day.

i like when people smile and check out my car. the only thing i dont like is when people want to race and i cant because i have a 6 cylinder. or when people ask what i have under the hood. and i reply slant 6, but its gets good gas milage.

berkley2.JPG

Yeah the Slant six is a great motor. Racing is not a great idea on the street anyways. You're driving a cool car.

I somewhat have the same problem i have a 72 dart with all the hot rod looks and a slant 6 so in town i have all the kids in hondas wanting to race and it wont run with them but i also have another 72 dart that looks almost identical with a built 360 so when i catch them in that one they look shocked and dont know how the car they smoked yesterday just stomped them today its great

I have a /6 65 Dart and a 318 70 Dart.I have been daily driving the 70 Dart into LA the last couple of weeks.I have it hopped up a little with a 4bbl and 340 manifolds with dual exhaust.Nothing to extravagent,but it will suprise you.
The car has the stock 273 gear in the back so cruising at 80 or 90 is no problem.Watching peoples faces in there mercedes and bmers as I stomp on this thing and blow past them is priceless.An old granny car is not suppose to be able to do that.

I really enjoy driving this car in a world full of new cars.Something about it just feels cool.Like I'm driving a 70 Dart and this is all I need.

Great topic by the way !!!!

Picture 414.jpg

Picture 405.jpg

just got some of that today. Put insurance back on the duster today and decided to take a midnight stroll. two girls in a neon paced beside me for a mile or so, the driver was cute, but the passenger was a tank:grin: it may have been the car, but i like to think i had something to do with it

yeah, I just put my valiant back on the policy on friday afternoon, good thing cause it was full moon weekend...plenty cruzin!
was gonna park it for awhile after i got my truck and get some work done on it, then i thought since its summer, why keep it parked?
within a couple hours i'd gassed 'er up and laid plenty smoke in front of the local 'vette repair shop where all the (other guys) were enjoying a brew after work.
...they loved it.
i'm lucky enough to cruise waikiki beach when i want and always get a good vibe, day or night.

I love driving my Cuda through parking lots…the rumble from the exhaust sets off every car alarm in a 50’ radius.

Driving it on the street is a little too much fun. 99.9% of the time, cars just leave the Cuda alone because it sounds so nasty. A few months ago I had a young guy and his girl friend pull up next to me in a SVT Cobra. He got cocky and started showing off with the on/off the gas crap at about 35 MPH. I just let it go for a while, but he was persistent. After denying him a stoplight race, he went back to the on/off the gas crap…So, I decided to put an end to it. I pull the Cuda into 1st gear at 35 MPH and dropped the hammer. She laid down a pair of black stripes about 100 feet long…after that, the Cobra stayed behind me even though I slowed down to 25 MPH (chicken). I could see the guy’s girl friend cracking up laughing hysterically in my rear view mirror…what an idiot…Seriously, at a glance, if you saw a car with a roll cage and street slicks screwed onto the rims, would you race him with daddy’s Mustake Cobra…

I would like to thank Woody_cuda for starting this thread.
I sure did enjoy reading it this morning with my coffee.
Back when I did have a nice mopar on the street my children was about 8 and 10 years old. I drove a red 73 Challenger white int and white vinyl a/c
318 car, and raced a 73 black on black 340 four speed car on the weekend
and raced it every week end, Bone stock with header's.
My wife and her girl friend would take the red automatic a/c car out and come back home with some big stories to tell.
The kids would cruze netteton street and Treva and here high school friend
told me about some one in a car would jump up on there bumper and try to wave them down. I new of this guy and he was from a small town just a few miles away.He drove a nice GS buick, So one Saturday about 3 pm I drove to the street they and all cruze the gear heads (younger) my wife's school friend.
I parked at the stinger sams auto part's and waited! Treva and Gail drove up and down Nettelton street in the red Challenger about an hour went by and then Gery showed up right behind Treva. I pulled out and got on his bumper and waved him down! He pulled into the happy burger parking lot and I pulled
up be side him and ask if he new who that was in that nice red Challenger.
he said no but and told me he thinks that was her dads car and see's it every weekend and did all he could do to get them to pull in and talk about the car, So I told him it was my wife and mikie setting next to me in the front
seat was one of our children. He turned in to a smilling good guy and told me
he like the red car and said he was sorry for bothering them. I said know problem and ask if he was looking for a race. The boy with him said hell yea where do you want to race at. I told him to be at George Ray's Sunday and I will suply him with a cold beer and see what his buick would do. He said he go's to that drag strip and has seen me and my two boy's there.
We never raced each other because he was a big block and out of my class.
The next day {Sunday} he showed up and parked next to me and my BBQ grill
We waited for time trials where over and lined them up. I got a full two lengths on him off the light and he never got any closer. My 73 chally would jump out nicely and the 340 4 speed held him off in two more passes.
Them we all had a cold one and hot wings, My boy's Mikie and Creed sure was proud and thout dad was fast. This was a 1/8 mile track.
I sure do miss them day's!! Life is good.:burnout:

For the guys with the six.
There is help out there !!!!!

The leaning tower of power! Nothing wrong with a /6 car. You can get a lot of power out of them or just get them running as good as possible and get great mileage. The Feather Duster and Dart Lite were rated at 34 MPG. Not bad at all for a real car made of real American steel.

I had a flat on my 73 Dart Sport while going to a local cruise yesterday. On the way back I was going to stop at a tire store to get it fixed. I had a front wheel drive Olds that kept running up on my bumper every time I had to stop. At the tire store I called my wife who was at our daughters house so they came and picked me up to get something to eat. While we where eating the tire store called and a worker there wanyet to know if I wanted to sell the car.

Wow, I never got much attention in my '69 Valiant. But, I guess they were a little more common in the early 1990's. Had the first Advantage swap kit ever built (the ones that Schumacher started off selling), but you couldn't tell by looking at it. Just a scabby old blue car.

Then I moved to a '49 Plymouth 4dr... mostly black - wherever it had paint left. The nicest car I ever had 'pace' me was a then-new Merc S600. A guy in a $120K+ car checking out my $700 beater: priceless!

I sold the '49, but had acquired a '54 Dodge 1/2T, which has been out of commission for about 3 years. Am building a motor for it right now; will probably have to get used to the attention again...

-bill

Funny thing about this thread is, we all do it to. Don't tell me none of you guys are ever on the gauking side of the stoplight while hauling the kids somewhere in the minivan. (Better be a caravan thow HAHA)

Or when you guys are driving the daily driver home ( a Hyundai for me) from work. You won't speed up to hear the exhaust note from a nice muscle car you just spotted ahead.

The one thing that I do get tierd of owning a Dart is, Any time or anywhere I'm at with the car. Is if a Brother (Black guy) walks up to talk about the car they ask what year my Impala is. I really get tired of that.

I do get the 350ci question all the time too.

I also get the thumbs up & nice car all the time when I'm out cruising the Duster. Just today I stopped at the local Kragen to get brake pads for the wifes 01 Durango when a kid asked if that was my Mopar & said nice car. I think the 2 most memorable times out cruising the Duster, were the one time I was in Whittier where I live & I was "first in line" at the signal & a wide open strech of 2 lane both ways. Well I drop her into 1st & let her rip when the light turns green & click it off when I shift to 3rd at about 75mph. Its a 35 or 40 mph zone & as I'm coasting to the next light I see a Whittier cop coming up fast next to me. All I can think is oh **** I'm busted. We stop at the next light together & the cop looks over to me & says NO MORE! I say OK, the light turns green & I take off so slow it was funny. The other time my friend & I are cruising Main St & PCH in Huntington Beach just ideling around (big solid cam) when we come to a four way stop & while waiting to turn my buddy says check this out, I turn to the right to see what he's talking about & some chick is bowing to my car. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. If I wasn't married she would have been in the back seat for a ride. For anybody that lives in SoCal, cruising Main St in the summer time is great, finding parking sometimes sucks but it's cool.

The chicks, yes...Sometimes I wish I wasn't a married, old fart.

I was stopped at a light on Friday, next to...you guessed it, an older Mustang! Anyways, the girl on the passenger side says, "nice car". The kids in the car behind her are yelling the same. So the girl says "you sure get a lot of attention". I just told her, sometimes too much! Anyways the Mustang waited for me to leave the light first.

The same day I was waiting for fast food. Two young girls, probably 7 & 10 were waiting for me to finish getting my order, and yelled out "nice car" as I was leaving! Then they ran back into the restaurant. It's great that we bring smiles to so many faces (young & old).

Which makes me wonder. It must be cool for some of the guys to do car shows. People are there specifically to see their cars.

Yes, I do enjoy seeing other classic cars too. New cars are boring.

Speaking of car shows. I was at a show and shine on the weekend. It was really cool as it was being held on a wharf I had designed. Anyway, I'm parked next to a 34 Buick, a very nice car. I couldn't believe the amount of people that would walk up to my car, ask a few questions, take some pics, comment on how nice it was and then just walk past the Buick. I think it must have been the cool factor. My car is a muscle car and the Buick was grandpaw's car. I was talking to the owner of the Buick and he was telling me that he just cringed when they parked him next to me. He says that everytime he gets next to a nice muscle car it's as if his doesn't even exist. It's to bad to, because his is an all original rust free car that is as close to perfect as I have seen.

Jack

This thread is a great read. Good topic idea Woody. Makes me think of the past abit. The one thing about old cars is you are going to have to expect the comments from people who don't know jack.
The only thing that bothers me is when people come up and say my dad (Or I ) used to have this car and they start talking about it. Then you say, "Umm, dude, this is a Plymouth, not a (Insert any make/model/year here) ________. And then they argue with you. Arogant. (SP?) Hate it.

A buddy of mine has a '66 Charger. Some young kid leans out a car window while driving down the road and asks what it is. I think thats cool he even asks and takes intrest in the car. My bud turns around and with a nasty reply says, "It a F$%^*IN Helicopter!"
I'm like dude, relax. He screams out loud so the kids cam here, "The F'in name is on the side of the car! Can't he read!"

Be fore warned now, the general "Joe" public is, well, stupid. Give a kid a brake and let'em know what it is and nurture them into a great hobby or at least, knowleadge of something that peaked there mind to speak up.

I also love driving down the road in something old. Last night I ran into a young fella with a '73 Ply. Sat. he drives daily and runs at the local circle track for drag racing around the roundy. A true hot rodder @ 23.
We got to a chatting and discussed each others cars, though my '79 Magnum is off the road, he knows the car and places it exactly were I live and work.
LOL @ that.

I also don't mind being asked questions about the old rides I have. I don't like people walking in my garage or the "Is that or whats for sale " questions from total strangers walking up on my property.

I do enjoy the looks and stares while driving an old car. Mostly don't mind a street race. Theres a time and a place for everything. Late night down an empty road is fine. Otherwise, I tell'em, take it to the track.

My fav was a passenger in this guys car was talking a ton of smack. I nodded to the driver and he was up for a run. At the time, it was my '73 4spd Cuda. After whoopppping his Big Block Olds a few times, he gave up and gave a thumbs up.

Thanks for the feedback on the car shows Jack. It does make more sense to group the muscle cars together by manufacturer. I do the same, I would look at your car, and probably pass on the older car too. The 60's & 70's mopars are where my interest is.

Rumble, I agree on the street racing you gotta be very careful, and choose your spot. Then you can put them in their place.

Some idiots do everything to get you to run them. Sometimes you gotta back off if in a busy area though. It's not worth it like you said.

Okay on educating people too. I get the dumb questions too but try to answer questions. Sometimes it's an exercise in futility.lol.

It's cool that a few of us have had good experiences with the police too. You always expect the worst, I guess.

Heres a few stories.

Back in high school i had a /6 b5 blue coronet 440. One day while driving it a 68 road runner is coming the other way. As he gets close he and his buddy give me a big thumbs up, and i gave a thumbs up back. it was the first time i noticed anyone ever giving me a thumbs up, but after that i started to realize what old cars ment.

Years later, and without an old car. I pull up behind a 70 challenger. Having old car withdrawels, i roll down my window to listen to his exhuast tone and smell the old car fumes. When he took off it was nice to hear the engine. Silly yes, but i needed that encounter. Seeing too many newer cars on the road does that to me.

Last week my buddy was in his newer style mustang convertible. A superbee pulls up beside him and feathers his gas, then passes. My friend calls me and tells me about it. I dont know if he wanted to run my friend or not, but he was older and had a younger kid in the call, and so did my friend. Maybe it was this guys way to giving a thumbs up. I told my buddy not only is there a Mopars are cool mentallity among mopar guys, but there is also a convertible click among convertible ouners.

I guess we're "Car Crazy"....ha ha fun show bytheway.

I was sitting at a stoplight the other day. There was a fellow in his early 20`s I`d say ,in a car about a car length in front of me and over in the right lane. He was talking to someone on his cell phone when I pulled up,and as we waited for the light to change, he hung his cell phone out his window and snapped a picture of my car. I could almost hear him saying to his friend "check out this bad *** Barracuda". That`s the sort of thing that makes you feel like all the hard work was worth it.

IM000650%20%28Small%29.JPG

-
Back