Birth of a 1970 Dart Convertible

-
Hey no problem! Lot's of look's and no replies is the norm unless your spending a bazillion dollars,lol..

Love the project, just dont want to clutter it up with my useless "Hey that is looking good", "Nice job on the rails", "Now you're getting somewhere" comments :)

Grant

Looking more like a 'vert! Some more cutting and fitting and the metal part will be almost done!

It's getting there John. For some reason it comes apart easier that going together. I was working on the windshield frame yesterday. I orderd a new tool to help with plug welding.

Attachments

• plug weld.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 1,043
Nice welding pliers...where did you get them? I do have to say, nice work on the frame connectors.

Auto Body Toolmart $30.00. The frame rails fit real nice after showing them who was boss. I just got to finish welding in the floor pan, cleaning up the mess and paint. Since my scope changed I 'm going to paint it chassis black.
Jim

Well between yesterday and today, I think that all the spot-welds are cut, now just clean and start welding. I all so set the windshield frame in place, it fit like a glove; I couldn't believe how easy it went together. Dustin and I cut the driver side wheel well for the cap. The next things to do are sand and paint all the donor parts before assembly. It has been a long and busy month, but I didn’t meet my set date. It is getting closer

Attachments

• 100_1412.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 1,080
  • 100_1413.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 1,026
Looks good. On convertibles are the tops of the rear wheel wells different? I am assuming thats why you are cutting them off. I can't wait till you start welding in the rear package tray stuff.

Have you tried those pliers? how did they work?

Guess what, cutting more spot-welds...... I couldn't put this in with all the rust, a lot of cleaning.

Attachments

• 100_1421.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 1,032
  • 100_1420.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 1,062
  • 100_1419.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 1,021
  • 100_1417.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 1,032
Amazed at the work you are putting in but can't wait to see the outcome. What part is the above pic from?

That was a 6cyl car and rusty to boot. I hope it stays square to. If those frame rails are doing there job? I see that a lot of FABO members are watching, but is nice to hear what everyone is thinking. Thank you for watching my build.
Jim

I'm speechless. (I know, weird.) This is an oustanding amount of work done in a garage. It's what the hobby is all about. I can't what to see what's next.

It is the part that ties everything together. The wheel well caps, front of trunk and ties the quarter panels together. Here are some pictures after wire brushing with the grinder; there are still some spots I can't get to, that means sandblasting. Thanks for the comments.....

Attachments

• 100_1245-1.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 957
  • 100_1426.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 965
  • 100_1425.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 964
  • 100_1424.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 998
  • 100_1423.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 995
Well it looks like I got to put this on the back burner for a while. I was just cutting spot welds on Sunday and decided to move the remains of the 68, so I cut the torque boxes out. Some where I hurt my neck and my back. When I got up Monday morning it was so bad that I couldn't even put my socks or shoes on. I went to the ER and they gave me Muscle relaxers and pain pills, well I have slept for 2 days and no change. I'm going to try to see my doctor today. I'm so hyped up on this project and what a setback.
Jim :eek:ops::sad::wack:

Take some time and get better. The car (and us) will be here when you are back on your feet.

Bummer about your back and neck. I sure don't envy the amount of work your doing. I went through a similar experience with 2 69 Darts just to get 1 good one. (cut apart at the spotwelds and threw the rest away). You've got a great start, get yourself better first and the rest is a piece of cake.

Well off to work today. :cheers::cheers::cheers: I managed to get my socks and shoes on by myself...............:cheers::cheers::cheers: You don't realize how many things we take for granted every day, till you can't do them.
Thanks for your support.
Jim

Amazed at the work you are putting in but can't wait to see the outcome. What part is the above pic from?

The bottom picture is actually the water drain for the top that drains in front of the rear tire at the base of the rocker panel.

Well off to work today. :cheers::cheers::cheers: I managed to get my socks and shoes on by myself...............:cheers::cheers::cheers: You don't realize how many things we take for granted every day, till you can't do them.
Thanks for your support.
Jim

Sorry you hurt your back. Sounds like you may have pulled a muscle, and if it hurts over to the side....right above your butt cheek, that's probably the case. I've done the same thing a time or two, and it was so bad once that I had to go to physical therapy. The thing that helped mine more than anything was the physical therapist that I had on about the 4th visit, was also a massage therapist. She asked permission to work on the pulled muscle, and of course I said heck yeah! It hurt like a S.O.B. at first, but in about 10 minutes I was good as new! If your back trouble is indeed a pulled muscle, and you can't get any relief...a licensed massage therapist might be able to help. Hope you feel better, and I enjoy reading about your project.

Well back at it........:cheers::cheers: Dustin and I did a little sandblasting on Saturday and that put me out on Sunday. LOL I worked a little bit after work today. I started cleaning up the passenger wheel cap. It had a little rust to cut out. Worked on welding a patch in, that was enough for today. I will get some pictures tomorrow.

I got some pictures. My Kodak s*!t to bed so my cell will have to do. I got that piece spot welded in so I can take it to my buddy to tig the rest. after it is welded I can trim it and fit it to the wheel house, then it should be ready for paint. I bought the driver side cap from a member from here, wilbanks. Just waiting for him to send it. :coffee2:

Attachments

• cap2.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 892
  • cap3.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 884
We started fitting the rear panel, what a bugger that is going to be. :wack: Well got my camera working.:cheers::cheers: Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• 100_1431.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 873
  • 100_1432.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 837
  • 100_1433.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 849
  • 100_1434.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 839
Well we have been working behind the scenes...........:glasses7::glasses7:
I cut the top of the wheel well off to fit cap in place a few days ago. I started fitting it yesterday and o **** cut too much out!!!!!I must have had rocks in my head, I did it the same as the other side but I should of measured it to but didn’t. It is sure harder to put back than it is to take out...... :banghead::banghead::banghead:
Dustin did some sand blasting and I did some wire brushing and 2" air buffer. You really don't know what kind of shape things are in, till they are all a part so Dustin did some patching on the trunk brace for passenger side.
I think it will be warm enough tomorrow to prime all of the parts to start putting things back in place!!! It sure is a lot harder than I thought lining things up and putting back together, but I'm going to injoy the hell out it when it is done. :cheers:
Can’t put much together till I get drivers side cap. Still waiting for that cap for the wheel well, sent him an email and tried calling him but no answer, don't know what is up with that.:cheers:
I went for a ride on the Harley and my oldest son on his bike. My back is not quite up for too much riding. LOL:wack:
I will get some pictures tomorrow after work.
Till tomorrow................. I'm sorry that I didn't get any pictures today. :eek:ops:

-
Back