Bolt in rack and pinion conversions for A bodys

-

grumpuscreature

Resident Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with a company called Unisteer. They make a rack and pinion steering kit for B bodies that bolts in. They are in the process of making a kit for A bodies, early and late, that is targeted for release in October if there is enough demand. They are a little pricey, but imagine the new header room you would have on an early A, not to mention much better steering. Their number is 1-800-338-9080 if you would like to let them know how much demand there is for their product. If you want to check out their products they are at www.unisteer.com :thumbup:

Front Steering Is Great.easier To Work On.nothing In The Way.capability Of Rear Sump Pan.did It Myself On My Duster.love It..worth Every Penny....

OK now Im curious, what would it take to convert an A-body over to rack and pinion useing mostly junkyard parts (besides stuff like tie rod ends, ect.), would you be able to keep your stock breaks and rotors?

360scamp said:
OK now Im curious, what would it take to convert an A-body over to rack and pinion useing mostly junkyard parts (besides stuff like tie rod ends, ect.), would you be able to keep your stock breaks and rotors?

IT COST ME LESS THAN $100 DOLLARS TO CONVERT MY DUSTER TO RACK AND PINION USING JUNK YARD PARTS,I AM USING STOCK DISC BRAKES.AND THE FACTORY TIEROD ENDS ON THE DODGE DAKOTA RACK.IF U SEND ME YOUR EMAIL I CAN SEND U SOME PICTURES OF MINE FOR A IDEA FOR U

74360duster, you need to do a "How to thread" on this.

Thanks for the tip, just called Unisteer. I'll post an update when I talk to them about a package for my 68 Dart.

Needs The Rack Moved Back About 2in.car Drives Good.
Right Front Wants To Turn In About 1/2 In When Backing Up.but Does Not Bump Steer.car Runs 11.9 At 115 Mph.feels Stable.does Not Wander Or Follow The Road.very Pleased.needs Front Steering Stops Installed.have Not Had Time To Install Yet.

Front Steering Is Great.easier To Work On.nothing In The Way.capability Of Rear Sump Pan.did It Myself On My Duster.love It..worth Every Penny....
The unisteer isn't front steer. They put a bracket that bolts to the steering box bolts to when idler ARM bolt I believe. The rack sits in the area that the center link usually sits. Least that's how their other kits are.

Look around and do some research before you buy. I remember a couple threads at moparts a while back by guys that bought that set up. Non of them were very happy with it.

Front mounted and power steering is the only way I would want rack and pinion.

That unisteer rack bolts to the k-member using the old steering box mount and the idler arm mount. Sits in the same place behind the k-member so there is no clearance benefit. Most of the articles I have read about these retrofit kits is they have issues with bump steer.

For a 1/3 of the cost of this kit you can get a rebuilt steering box from Firm Feel or Steer & Gear and have all the advantages of firm, precise and quick ratio steering that a rack and pinion setup can give you.

IMHO, it only makes sense to consider rack and pinion steering if it is part of whole new front end that ensures you don't compromise the geometery.

Good evening I have a 70 duster and I want to move the steering rod forward or install a rack. It appears you have done this very reasonable. Can you send me photos and information that can help me. Thank You

Good evening I have a 70 duster and I want to move the steering rod forward or install a rack. It appears you have done this very reasonable. Can you send me photos and information that can help me. Thank You
2017 - 2006 = anlong time ago! LOL!
Though I'm sure you'll get help.
@abodyjoe I think has done something like this.

IT COST ME LESS THAN $100 DOLLARS TO CONVERT MY DUSTER TO RACK AND PINION USING JUNK YARD PARTS,I AM USING STOCK DISC BRAKES.AND THE FACTORY TIEROD ENDS ON THE DODGE DAKOTA RACK.IF U SEND ME YOUR EMAIL I CAN SEND U SOME PICTURES OF MINE FOR A IDEA FOR U
Please send me pictures on the Dakota rack job for my duster you did no phone numbers in public forums!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ll give you a hot tip.
Take the spindle off the right, and swap it left, left to the right. now you can mount a rack at the the front of the k member.
Did this 30 years ago on a drag car.
Went 6.0 in the eighth, went straight, drove nice.

POSTEM HERE !!

I’ll give you a hot tip.
Take the spindle off the right, and swap it left, left to the right. now you can mount a rack at the the front of the k member.

keyword > drag car !

I’ll give you a hot tip.

I'll give you a hot tip, look up the term "Ackerman". If you flip the steering arms around for front steer, you throw your Ackerman angle out the window.

It's "ok" for a drag car if you set it up with very little suspension travel in the front. But it's a disaster waiting to happen running on the street.

And also, you don't need to flip the spindles. You can swap the spindles left to right all you want, the alignment numbers don't change. All it does is move your calipers from the front to the back. Or vice-versa, depending on how the calipers are already mounted. The steering arms/lower ball joints are what need to be swapped for the front steer rack. But again, not on a street car. If you want a rack on a street car, you need one of the full coil-over conversions like the RMS Alterkation or HemiDenny's conversion. Front steer with stock mopar suspension components is asking for trouble.

-
Back