china airgap intakes on ebay

-
^ Only trouble I see is, if he runs the serpentine setup, the water-neck gets in the way of the bracket, gotta hack it a bit and the A/C compressor. Good deal!

Don't waste your money.
The extra cost of having it machined to fit your engine will easily make it cost the same/more than an eddy. (Which are also pretty awful too)

What needs machined? 30 seconds with a 4 1/2" grinder?

If you knew the eddy so well then you would know that it's bypass fitting is magnum style It fits the serpentine better than any of them

The Crosswinds is a good intake no matter what is made up about it

I have a 360 LA block with magnum heads. I got the Pro Comp Air Gap intake and it does fine. It was cheaper than the eddy and I'm not looking at any numbers though so I don't know if there's any power loss with it. But it was quick and easy and everything lined up. The only thing I'm not too fond of is with that setup the thermostat housing is too far over and is in the way of the AC compressor. It's a gamble sometimes.

What I get a kick out of is all the "cheap China crap, go edelbrock" statements being made by some who have banged edelbrock for poor quality.

No matter what you get, check the fit. Sometimes you only pay more for the name...

Amen!!! I ran one of those crap-olla intakes on my 360 magnum with 0 issues, Just took off a Perf. 2-0 eddy that was on my BBC, 1 port was smaller then the rest & it was a virgin intake LOL, was there casting flash in the runners, YUP sure was.... So i purchased another crap-olla Pro-comp air-gap intake from KMJ perf., Them damn idiots had the nerve to clean up the casting flash on the edge of the runners, On top of that, It fit like a glove :violent1:, that makes me so mad LOL, Seriously, If you buy these intakes from a reputable source they will stand behind it if there should be any issues, Does everybody think that edelbrocks are god-sent with no issues & perfect fit.

I've seen first hand how the knock off pos was such a poor fit that it was not possible to make it seal. A bit of work for a 4.5 inch grinder?
Remind me to never buy an engine off you!
The angle of the bolts holes was NOT the same as the holes in the head.
Nor were the angles of the head faces the same as the manifold.
It was beyond being even remotely fit for purpose.......

I've seen first hand how the knock off pos was such a poor fit that it was not possible to make it seal. A bit of work for a 4.5 inch grinder?
Remind me to never buy an engine off you!
The angle of the bolts holes was NOT the same as the holes in the head.
Nor were the angles of the head faces the same as the manifold.
It was beyond being even remotely fit for purpose.......

Then YOU got a bad one.

I have no experience with any intakes other then big brand name stuff so I can't give a fair opinion on these eBay intakes. BUT when I am at the drag strip or reading through small block builds online I very rarely see the cheap knock off parts...and that becomes more true when you start talking about parts that play such a big role in performance.

Then YOU got a bad one.

I agree. I liked the one I had. Fit was good, casting was clean. Only reason I changed was because it would not work with the serpentine setup. I think there are just as many nasty Edelbrock castings.

I've got my Air Gap laying on the garage floor right now. I could take some pics and we could probably find guys that would point out what's wrong with it also?!?!

I got a bad one. It was bad enough in a bunch of areas that I won't give them another shot. Between the 2nd set of gaskets, the oil change, the re-tapping of holes... I can say the ports lined up - but when coolant started to ooze out of the casting both inside and out - I figured enough was enough.

I agree. I liked the one I had. Fit was good, casting was clean. Only reason I changed was because it would not work with the serpentine setup. I think there are just as many nasty Edelbrock castings.

Why? I have used one on my magnum with the serpentine for 3 years. I bought due to the price but have since bought an Eddy. I will be posting dyno differences of the two when new engine is complete. Bang for your buck for a junk yard magnum setup I wouldn't hesitate at all. My junk yard magnum made 390hp on the dyno.

^ Do you run it with a/c? Did you have to hack around the fact the thermostat housing location interferes with the rear 1/4 of the mount and A/C compressor?

If not, take some pics, I gotta see this...

hey poisondart74, just curious of how come you didnt put the plugs in for the bolt holes your not using!!!

My bad. It does not have A/C. I didn't plug my holes either.

Wonder if those that buy the knock off Air Gaps have tried out the ad for mail order brides on the home page......... Just sayin'

:burnout:

Wonder if those that buy the knock off Air Gaps have tried out the ad for mail order brides on the home page......... Just sayin'

:burnout:

Didn;t try the brides. But if she leaked all over I'd send her back too.

If you want to get technical, Edelbrock and all the other aftermarket companies stole their ideas straight from the auto makers. There have been several engines straight from the factory with "air gap" style intakes. The big block Mopar is but one example. Lots if other engines used belly pan intake gaskets even before that. The Buick Nailhead and early Hemi are two examples. All the aftermarket did was expound on a good idea. Individuals and companies have been improving on the factory offerings right from the start. It ain't nuthin new.

china airgap intakes. lmao I think it is made from some of my old beer cans, probably why the castings are flawed.

poison dart 74 how did you wire up the new style alt and did the p/s pressure line just bolt up?

I wired up the alt like the later 2 wires-in-field. I had to go to the junkyard to find the inverted flare fitting for the PS pump.

Thanks poison dart 74. So im gathering if you run the china airgap intake you have to modify the ac bracket if you want to run the magnum front end.right?As I picked up my magnum today I have to decide what front to run. And intake as it will be carbed. Sorry trying to weed threw al the political bs and pissing contests to get the data to make my decisions.Again thanks.

I have one of these on My 273 Commando and it works pretty well.
I Will buy another one for My 5.9 Magnum. Sure, you must match the ports. But thats the same with any intake....

-
Back