Chrysler Correct Terminology ?

-

70Hardtop

Reaction score
Hello, i have a question for Chrysler die-hards - an administrator from another Mopar forum said that the terms "big block" and "small block" were originally Chev terms, coined by GM or Chev people. And that 'Chrysler correct' is actually what Chrysler use themselves, which is A engine (poly), LA (Light A), B, RB (Raised B), Wedge, Hemi, Magnum..etc etc Does anyone know for sure if this is correct?

Or are SB and BB just generic terms which can be used with all Detroit production engines...with their origin lost in the mists of history?

Informative answers ... No guessing please!

sounds like "an administrator from another forum" has it right if you believe him. i really hope you didn't lose alot of sleep thinking about this. no offense

I've worked for GM in the past turning wrenches. Not once in all my time there have I ever seen in print in a service manual or a parts book where it calls the engines "big block" or "small block". They were simply referred to by their cubic inch displacements. I don't think the terms are brand specific. Now, the GM Performance catolog was something else altogether different. It's my opinion that the terms "big block" and "small block" were simply coined by the general public for the mere reason that one line of engine was physically bigger than the other.

ok thanks for answers. Interesting that no GM service manual ever mentioned those terms. i'd also "guess" that the public and end users of the cars with these engines started calling them Big and Small. It certainly isn't the sort of term that engineers would use!! It's like the public calling the windscreen, "the front see-through-thingy"

I've never heard those terms as brand specific but since Chrysler had big blocks and small blocks before Chevy did, it's unlikely they were the first to use them.

I aggree with StrokerScamp. As for the other guy, give him the big "Whaaaaaaateverrrrrrr dude" and let it rest.

If I remember correctly, GM slang was mouse and rat engines. Chrysler hemi's used to be called the elephant engines.

Look at Chrysler and Ford big blocks with the deep skirts, then at small blocks that are pared down to be as light as possible... I don't know, but seems pretty generic to me. Definately not going to lose any sleep over it.

Well the correct answer is out there. Its just lost in the mists of time gone by and countless millions of people airing thoughts and opinions. I asked the guy about where he got that info and the answer makes a lot of sense. He certainly knows his history and does not seem to be making it up. WHich is what most forums seem to do i find -whatever they think sounds correct is what they put as their opinion. I won't quote the guy here -he might not want me to. If you are really interested (and doesn't sound like anyone here is interested) then go to the Dodge Challenger Message board and its in the General Discussions area. And i think he is correct.

Cant say I ever told any one I had a "small block" Because the next question would be "what size"? So when some one asks I just tell them. "It's a 340" And thats all that need be said.

Look at Chrysler and Ford big blocks with the deep skirts, then at small blocks that are pared down to be as light as possible... I don't know, but seems pretty generic to me. Definately not going to lose any sleep over it.

Wow. And I thought the Chrysler family class as being straight forward with the A, LA, Magnum, B and RB. (Not going back into the early Hemis.) and you bring up Ford! :-D Which ones? The Windsors? The 335's? The FE? The early Y-blocks? The 385's? The big and small block sixes? Now there's something as clear as mud!

"I have a 351 Ford."

"Which one? The Cleveland?"

"No, the other one."

"The Windsor?"

"No, the other one. The one nobody cares about. You know, the 351M." With it's taller deck height than the Cleveland and wider intake and....and...

I think it may have come about when Chevy came along with the "rat motor 402"(396) and called it a 400 then had the "mouse motor 400" so it was called big block 400 and small block 400. Just an opinion.

Cant say I ever told any one I had a "small block" Because the next question would be "what size"? So when some one asks I just tell them. "It's a 340" And thats all that need be said.

Yep, about the easiest way around it is to just give 'em an engine size. Unless you have a '60 Chrysler and it has a 383. Then you might get the next question..is it the original RB or did you put a B in it? :-D

-
Back