Cinnamon 75 Duster \

-
Add a rear sway bar noticeable difference if you drive hard.
Don't figure on driving it that hard being its a stock slant. I probably won't do a rear sway, but I am getting a pair of coilover shocks from another member that should tighten up the back a little.

Don't figure on driving it that hard being its a stock slant. I probably won't do a rear sway, but I am getting a pair of coilover shocks from another member. that should tighten up the back a little.
I did get those shocks earlier this month. @Ddaddy upgraded his leaf springs and had to use different shocks and he very generously passed them on to me. He said they only have about 250 miles on them. I just need to get a couple bushings.

2016-11-06 08_35_37.jpg

Today I 'winterized' the Duster. Dumped the water still holding :thumbsup: in the overflow bottle from testing my repair. Left that empty, but topped off with a little antifreeze in the radiator. Added a couple gallons of gas with stablizer in the tank. Drove it around the yard a while. (Heater works great!) Parked it in its winter spot: How to prepare for winter storage? Then checked the antifreeze - good to below -10. Took the neg cable off the battery.
I had put new wiper blades on recently, and the motor barely ran and then stopped altogether. I tested the switch and it seems to be good. I think the problem is internal to the motor, I disconnected the linkage and was going to pull it, but decided to leave it for now. Probably won't do that till spring. I did take the wiper arms off so my new blades are not junk by the time I use them.

Not long after I joined FABO, I bought several parts from a member in a nearby town. He had a brand new set of '74 FSM's he did not need. I bought those thinking they would be close enough to my 75. In many ways, they were, but in others - not so much. Some time ago it occured to me that the seat belt interlock used in 74 was what made it nearly impossible to follow the electrical schematics. While some sections were the same, the seatbelt thing is the equivilent of a computer virus the way it goes into the system.:eek:. So, I finally decided to get the 'right' drawing. Went on ebay and ordered a 75 Chassis manual. Got it and find the schematic moved to the body manual that year. :BangHead:. OK, back on ebay, there's one of them... ordered, received. Yay!
Wait, what? :mad: . The drawing still shows the whole dang interlock mess! Then it occured to me... My car was built Aug 12, 1975. It was probably days away from being a 76. Back on ebay.. For 76, they actually did an 'Electrical Service Manual'. Got it today. :thumbsup:. At a quick look - definitely very close to what is actually in the car. Also has pics of dash and engine bay showing where everything goes. I know changes did not always coincide with the model year, so not going to match exactly. But I think its more like the 76 than 75, and much diff than 74.
Another good thing, I only paid $34 for all 3 including shipping. :steering:
2017-01-26 17.03.37.jpg

Last edited:
Not long after I joined FABO, I bought several parts from a member in a nearby town. He had a brand new set of '74 FSM's he did not need. I bought those thinking they would be close enough to my 75. In many ways, they were, but in others - not so much. Some time ago it occured to me that the seat belt interlock used in 74 was what made it nearly impossible to follow the electrical schematics. While some sections were the same, the seatbelt thing is the equivilent of a computer virus the way it goes into the system.:eek:. So, I finally decided to get the 'right' drawing. Went on ebay and ordered a 75 Chassis manual. Got it and find the schematic moved to the body manual that year. :BangHead:. OK, back on ebay, there's one of them... ordered, received. Yay!
Wait, what? :mad: . The drawing still shows the whole dang interlock mess! Then it occured to me... My car was built Aug 12, 1975. It was probably days away from being a 76. Back on ebay.. For 76, they actually did an 'Electrical Service Manual'. Got it today. :thumbsup:. At a quick look - definitely very close to what is actually in the car. Also has pics of dash and engine bay showing where everything goes. I know changes did not always coincide with the model year, so not going to match exactly. But I think its more like the 76 than 75, and much diff than 74.
View attachment 1715011908
SCORE!

View attachment 1715011908
fireworks-animated-gif-7.gif

How long until you have it driving on the road, I know winters are long, but this year it has not been too bad.

How long until you have it driving on the road, I know winters are long, but this year it has not been too bad.
Perhaps, but bad enough... Got other things to do inside for a while anyway.. I will get it insured and registered soon. Probably by March. Once it warms up and they quit salting roads. Then will take it for alignment. I do need to see what's up with the wiper motor not working. Other than that stuff its driveable now.

I hear you about other things to do, just finished with a remodel on one of my rental properties, people are moving in this weekend and there is always one last thing to do.

I got my duster running 2 years ago this march, drove it into my storage garage.
Since then I put the headlamps, grill and front bumper on, I have been thinking of moving it into my "working" garage and finishing the paint on it this winter.
Been waiting for the ground to freeze so I don't tear the yard up moving it from one garage to the other.
I really want to drive it this summer, its been tagged since I bought it, drove it around some when I bought it, but not since redoing the drive train, suspension, interior etc.

I'm jealous as your '75 manuals are almost mint compared to mine! That's a good point you raise about yours being a very late '75 build in that it has some of the '76 changes. Does your '75 have the foot parking brake or still the hand operated one?

I'm jealous as your '75 manuals are almost mint compared to mine! That's a good point you raise about yours being a very late '75 build in that it has some of the '76 changes. Does your '75 have the foot parking brake or still the hand operated one?
It is hand operated.
I want to do a little study of changes vs build dates. Gonna get a list of them together and probably start a thread to get some good input. Just want to pick several key ones so I don't make it too complicated. That seat belt interlock about drove me nuts any time I tried to follow a circuit in the 74 book. I am so glad that was never on my car.

I did have manuals on my old computer,actually still have that computer. It might be fubar...have to take it to a repair guy.

I did have manuals on my old computer,actually still have that computer. It might be fubar...have to take it to a repair guy.
Part of the reason I never ordered the CD. Have lost too many files over the years when old computers died. Either the actual file or programs that were no longer usable as operating system version changed. Probably had it on my ebay watch list for a couple years. I very much prefer the paper books. Especially looking through the schematics where you might have to follow a wire over several pages.

I agree with you on books! My shelves are overflowing....A nice set of factory service manuals is a score! Maybe I'll have a look for some.

I pulled my wiper motor off the other day and took it apart last night. Might be able to get it going again, but planning to get another one to replace it for now. The braided insulation (fiberglass?) over the leads to the motor windings had bare spots. Some of it has become brittle and crumbles when I move it. I guess I could use just about any insulation, but will try to get something similar to what they used. Although I just looked at it again and realized they were all different colors, which I doubt I can match. I don't think any of the wires were shorting out. Main problem was one of the brushes was stuck. It actually ran till I put the wiper arms on it.

2017-02-03 18.18.35.jpg

Last edited:
Just read every page. OUTSTANDING work and dedication. My 75 Gold Duster looks just like your car, color/half white top/white and green interior, only exception being that my car was a 318/904 heater only car. I want to say that the color is Autumn Bronze.
Keep up the good work, it is paying off.

With it being almost 10 years owning this car, any chance that your son has helped out with it, or will take ownership once you have to all together?

With it being almost 10 years owning this car, any chance that your son has helped out with it, or will take ownership once you have to all together?
He helped a little in the beginning, but the car was way more work than expected. He lost interest early on. Then he got a car of his own... So, unless he inherits it one day there will not be any change of ownership. Lol

. My 75 Gold Duster looks just like your car, color/half white top/white and green interior, only exception being that my car was a 318/904 heater only car. I want to say that the color is Autumn Bronze.
I don't see that color on my 75 color sheet. There are a few similar colors. Would love to see it. If original, just need the code from fender tag. Is yours done, Starting project ? Maybe get a build thread going, or just a couple pics for everyone in the 'welcome wagon'...

He helped a little in the beginning, but the car was way more work than expected. He lost interest early on. Then he got a car of his own... So, unless he inherits it one day there will not be any change of ownership. Lol
My son comes and goes with involment in our project. He will help if I ask, but only for that task then he's gone...
For me, my project is a labor of love that helps me remember who I am...

Was delayed in getting the wiper motor I was planning to buy. So, went ahead and fixed mine. Got the brushes sliding smooth in their holders. Cleaned the commutator. Greased the rub points in the park switch assembly. I stripped some insulation from 12AWG wire of various colors to cover the motor leads. Soldered and heat shrunk the connections as needed...
It works in all three speeds and parks. Just did not want to park at the same level every time. I was wetting the window with the squirters. Huge diff if the glass is wet vs dry. Seamed more consistent after a few cycles. And the clunkiness of the linkage seamed less too. Supposed to rain tomorrow - I will give it another try and see if it works right.
2017-02-11 13_49_58.jpg

That's making the best of a rainy day Keith
Well that did not work out as planned. I guess I ran the wipers too much yesterday without starting the car. Turned over a few times and dead today, no start. Seemed OK when I ran the wipers briefly on the little remaining juice. Need to see them at full juice with engine running though. Need to be sure they don't run past the glass on the drivers side at full speed. Not messing around with the battery charger in the rain...:BangHead:

-
Back