Cinnamon 75 Duster \

-
Are those the original screws holding your door gasket in place?
You mean those silver ones in the last post? Screws do have a tendency to get mixed up, but I think they are what came out of there. The seals are Metro Supersoft. Came with useless plastic pins. Gotta be real careful with screws though. The seal will smoosh and twist as the screws tighten. A drop of dish soap under the heads would have made it easier.

Yea, the silver ones. I got the new gaskets too, and those push pins don't work at all. I couldn't remember what came in there from the factory. Good thought on the soapy water behind the screw.

Been too hot to do much lately. Carpet is finally dry again. 2hours to get soaked=2 weeks to dry out. :BangHead: It has rained a couple times , think leaks are good now.
I did get the interior panels back on the doors today. Before doing so, a number of locations for the clips were breaking out of the hardboard. I used heavy aluminum duct tape (not the cloth junk) to re-enforce the areas. then put the clips in and taped another layer over them. Sorry, thought I took a pic of the tape job, but can't find it and they're are already back on the car.

Last edited:
Workin on my trunk junk. Painted the jack mechanism and base. Glued the felt pad back on the top support. Figured out how it's actually supposed to go in there...
The spare is now a 5.5 inch wheel like the others. So, the bolt is now too short. Need a 7". Flipped the spare so it reaches for now. Also looking for a nicer cover board. This one is cracked on one corner. If I flip the tire, the jack base supports it from underneath and it lays nicely in the rim and one wing nut holds everything tight. If I leave the tire as/is, I could put another nut over the board. I have the instruction sticker, but its not in great shape, Not sure what is correct. Gonna research a bit...

2016-08-16 18.10.57.jpg

2016-08-16 18.11.28.jpg

Last edited:
Well it looks like the board is not supposed to have a hole and no second wing nut. The bolt needs to be about 6.5in to just fit under the board. I might make a board out of 1/4" mdf (thicker than original)

Been working on cleaning these up this week. Repainted the silver edges tonight. Mismatched set from different cars/years. I think I ended up with 1 of my originals but really not sure. won't know there different when on four corners of car.

2016-08-17 20.46.38.jpg

don't have a pic at the moment, but got the side markers installed with new gaskets. Also put the fender top indicators on. I put the wipers on and they don't want to go except slow speed. they are trying in second. I bump it and it moved a few inches on its own. I even wet the glass... I guess as the speed increases the torque decreases? I thought I tried all speeds before and it ran fine without wipers. Didn't have time to mess with it, but will pop them back off and see if it still runs. Also need to see if something is catywampus with the linkage. when they run on low speed they make a pretty loud clunk noise. Not sure if this wiper set-up can run quiet, but seemed too load.

Got the spare flipped over now.
@Ddaddy sent me a bolt.:thankyou: I shortened it to 6.5" so the board will lay over it. Ran a die on it and cleaned it up a bit. Bent the trunk bottom up a little so it keeps the square of the bolt tight in the slot and doesn't turn.
Found the wipers run OK with the car running:thumbsup:.

2016-08-22 20.37.38.jpg

Thanks for posting those trunk pics. I was just thinking about how all that jack stuff would go back there. Can you show me a pic of the bolt that holds the spare down? I am sure that is all that I am missing.

Cley

Thanks for posting those trunk pics. I was just thinking about how all that jack stuff would go back there. Can you show me a pic of the bolt that holds the spare down? I am sure that is all that I am missing.

Cley
It's a 3/8 -16 (coarse thread) with oversized (1-1/8")head. Length will vary depending on your spare.

2016-08-22 20_35_40.jpg

2016-08-23 09.05.25.jpg

Last edited:
If I wasn't nutz when I started this build, I surely will be before I'm done. Drivers door still leaks! :mad::BangHead:
Had heavy rain earlier this evening. Driver front carpet soaked and some in the back. Ran shop vac and got a couple cups of water. Looks like I need to pull door panal again and use water torture till she talks.:D

Reworked the driver door again this morning. These things have more holes than a pasta strainer. Aside from closing up a lot of extra holes, the main thing I did was used aluminum tape across the inside of large bottom holes. Now any water coming down cant flow in. Used peal off caulk stripping to seal around push pins, etc. Added more aluminum tape to inside of panel to fix and waterproof bottom and sides. Supposed to rain tomorrow...

2016-09-17 12.14.00.jpg

2016-09-17 12.12.59.jpg

40 days and 40 Nights ??
Judging by the floor pans, I'd say she been flooding for 40 years. She just had her 41st birthday August 12.

I posted this elsewhere (8/12), just thought I'd copy it to my build thread...I thought my Duster was 'born' on 8/5/75, but learned something new yesterday ... The date on the fender tag is the Scheduled Production Day. For I think '74 up the MDH on the driver door sticker is the build Month Day Hour. Mine is 081208 It is my understanding that sticker was produced near the end of the build, so is usually close. I did see someone saying they had info theirs was a day early. I was actually hoping to find that it could be off by 2 days so it could have been same as me (8/14) but that is not likely.

Last edited:
Yea the plastic on the inside of the door came with a caulk from the factory

Judging by the floor pans, I'd say she been flooding for 40 years. She just had her 41st birthday August 12.

I posted this elsewhere (8/12), just thought I'd copy it to by build thread...I thought my Duster was 'born' on 8/5/75, but learned something new yesterday ... The date on the fender tag is the Scheduled Production Day. For I think '74 up the MDH on the driver door sticker is the build Month Day Hour. Mine is 081208 It is my understanding that sticker was produced near the end of the build, so is usually close. I did see someone saying they had info theirs was a day early. I was actually hoping to find that it could be off by 2 days so it could have been same as me (8/14) but that is not likely.

Yours is a very, very late build '75 model as the '76 model year would have started production sometime in August 1975.

Looks like my effort on Saturday was worth it. Heavy rain overnight did not find my carpet. :thumbsup: no more precipitation predicted till October!

Looks like my effort on Saturday was worth it. Heavy rain overnight did not find my carpet. :thumbsup: no more precipitation predicted till October!
We did get a pretty good rain dump, over 3 inches in the past week. Drivers side was DRY. there was a trace on passenger side. Not enough to worry about, but I will do that door the way I did driver. Seemed to sneak in the same way.
Hope to do a little more to it before winter, but paint will definitely not happen this year anymore. Might get at a little more bodywork and still want to check ride height and rough check the alignment.
We just got a new roof from hail damage that hit us in Spring, so had to move it out back last week. I noticed wipers would not run at all -need to investigate that. Also, I may have a leak near back of motor. Thought it was just paint burning off before, but may be manifold or head. Last but not least. Has a bit more vibration when in gear than I think it should. Not as noticeable with all the parts bolted on, but still there...

2016-09-23 17.44.46.jpg

Last edited:
Got front height set today. Of course you have to jack it up to adjust and jounce in between every time . Was getting dizzy crawling in and out from under the car so many times.:eek: Set to factory spec, think it looks fine there. Don't think I will mess with the alignment - I will take it to a garage for that. Then I needed to torque the strut rods and LCAs. Had to put it up on ramps to get any decent wrench position. To do the LCAs I had to drop the sway bar out of the way. For that LCA torque I ended up using my foot to get the wrench to click. Also repositioned the front bumper, that was not level.

2016-11-02 17.33.30.jpg

Did your Duster come from the factory with a front sway bar?

Add a rear sway bar noticeable difference if you drive hard.

-
Back