Converting from 318 to 360

-

ever_never

Reaction score
Hi your knowledge and info is greatly appreciated. Im currently working on my 1967 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback. It currently has a 318 with a 904 transmission and a ford nine inch rear end. I purchased a 360 long block. What problems will I be facing. I know the 360 block needs to be externally balanced. I seen serveral ways of achieving this. Either by balancing the torque converter or buy purchaseing the B&M Flex Plate. I'm leaning toward the Flex Plate. I wanted to use my current Torque converter. Is this wise? I will be using some of my old part in the cenversion. Can I get away with using my distributor with Electionic ignition system. (From Mopar)? My Edlebrock intake manifold? My Headman Headers? Will my current radiator be able to cool the 360 engine suffuciently? Sorry for all the questions.
:salut:
thanks.

Moved - Wrong forum - this has nothing to do with Website Help / Suggestions

I might of approached this the wrong way sorry for posting in the wrong forum. Here is more info on my car. Its a 1967 Barracuda FB. From the factory it came with the 273 V8 with a 904 transmission I decoded the . I am the Second owner of the car. The previous owner dropped in a 318 motor. I am planning on dropping in a 360 long block. The block I have is from 1979. I do believe the car has the correct motor mounts to mount the 360 already. It would of needed it when he installed the 318 block. I might be wrong bare with me. But please correct me if Im wrong. I do intend to use most of my part from my 318 parts. Edelbrock intake, Holley carb 600cfm,Hedman headers,distributor with electronic ignition 904 trans with my torque converter. I just had the trans rebuilt last year at Jerry's Transmission. They are a great shop very helpfull. I plan on buying the B&M balanced felx plate, 360 hamonic dampner, and 360 Miloden oil pan stock replacement. I would greatly appreciate some info. :book:

Your approach is fine. Joey just moved it so you know he did. He doesn't allways have time to answer questions. So I will.

Everything is a simple bolt over and in. The exceptions are light and not a problem. But heres somethings you'll cross;

Motor mounts will require a few simple washers to take up the extra space. The 340/360 mounts are a little narrower. No big deal.

You have the torque converter down. I also like the B&M or = plate vs. weights.

All engine parts swap over. Though you never said what intake, I think it's the performaer. It will swap no problem though the ports are a tad smaller. Performance wise, you'll be OK. Better if you port match the intake, though it's NOT a big deal until you start putting some HP into the engine.
The rad is the real second issue here. It may cool, it may not. Hows it doing now and how much more power is the 360 makeing over the 318?
How many core thick is it? Added cooling performance could be as easy as a shroud, viscous or electric fan before a new rad hits between the rails.

You can get a 22" Heavy Duty 318 w/AC / 340/360 Radiator from Advance Auto or Autozone for under $200. Order one for a 71 Dart. I am using one of these on a hot 360 and it cools fine.

This will put the lower radiator hose on the passenger side. Your 79 360 should have the front cover and water pump on the passenger side.

Rumblefish your are correct it is the performer edelbrock intake. Im not sure in the horse power rating coming out of the 360. My dad was fixing a ram charger (electrical problem) and the guy couldnt pay him and was leaving town. So he wanted to sell the 72 4x4 ram charger to my father. My dad didn't need the the extra truck. So he just gave it to him signed pink slip and all. It had a freshly rebuilt 360 long block. The motor wasnt installed, it was in the back of the truck. So I bought it from my dad. I took a look at it, it has new pistons heads I cant identify. So am I taking a big chance in dropping in this motor in my cuda? I wanted to break it down completely. But my dad talked me out of it. Now the only thing throwing me off is this external balancing. By purchasing the balanced B&M flex plate and installing the front 360 balanced dampener. Will this solve the external balancing that is needed? Also on another note. My colling system now is great. My car does not overheat in traffic. And I get plenty of it in Los Angeles freeways. Although I not running a fan shround. I thinking of going with electric fans. Dgc thanks for the info on the radiator.

P.s.

I have the casting number off the block:
raditor number stamp on top is:

Just a added comment, 360 :thumblef: While your checking out your rad/mounts ensure you confirm the correct oil pan and pump. There's I "think" three different one's which can slow down your progress when swapping over. IE some 360's are dropped from trucks etc that may have a rear sump. Most A-bodys have a middle sump so that the centre link can pass under or a detent so your steering link will not hit during turns. Also...when changing rads some pumps changed outlet sides (just be awhere) :salut:

Does the motor have the stock rods, or are the rods aftermarket? Obviously the pistons are not stock. Bolting on a dampner and flex plate balanced for a stock 360 might not work on a motor with lighter rods and pistons. You might be safter to get the motor balanced, but I dont think you really want to tear the motor down.

Good lookin out Signet. I don't know what kind of pan the Ramchargers came with.

Ever never;
I also think a tear down of the "Rebuilt" engine would be a waste of time. Just slip it in and fire it up with some nice new fluids. Your set and good to go.
By purchasing the balanced B&M flex plate and installing the front 360 balanced dampener. Will this solve the external balancing that is needed?
Yep, use it with the stock damper up front.

Thanks guys. You have been a great help. The rods are stock. As for the Oil pan I will be purchasing a Miloden pan. The stock looking one with or without windage tray? not sure? I already hate the fact that my headman headers drag on the crazy speed bumps. Not that Im flying past them. The block came with an oil pump. But I think I am going to purchase a high volume oil pump to be on the safe side. Since I have easy acces to it right now. It couldn't hurt. Also I couldn't find the oil pump drive shaft. Could I use the 318 oil pump drive shaft? Will this work? Last one I think. How can I tell if this long block is a LA or Magnum block? The casting numbers? The heads? Thanks again guys.

Ever Never, Check out this link (below) about your casting numbers....etc.

I'm quite sure you can use a pump drive from a 318. A matter of fact LA 318/360 SB parts exchange well. Prior to LA some intakes bolt holes angles didn't line up correctly. When using donar parts however, it will not hurt to closly eye-ball or re-measure just in case someone prior hasn't modified/changed heads/rods etc. Some backyard fixers go as far as putting anything together just to get across the street.

http://www.mymopar.com/tools.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_LA_engine

Last, it's a good idea to ensure all electrical componates/wiring are checked and in good condition. :thumblef:

Just looked at the aftermarket oil pans, There was no pic for the 360 pan. Be sure that you "eye-ball" the 360 one or confirm with the dealership it's for an a-body before ordering it. Here's a pic of the 318/340 which looks ideal to me.

697-30935.jpg

Quoted by me;
All engine parts swap over.
The part you were looking for new can be purchased @ MoPar. Try looking at them abit more for parts.
If your asking about a windage tray. Use one. It can't hurt.

This weekend I picked up my B&M Flexplate and ordered my Miloden oil pan. I still stuck on the dampner. Do I purchase a mopar replacement p5007301 Or a perfomance dampner they are both exteranally balance but the higher end one comes with serveral weight to balance the motor. Is this something I can do myself engine balancing. Do you guys send this out to a engine shop so they can balance the motor? with all the goods attached. Dampner & flexpate mounted. Let me know.
Thanks guys

-
Back