Cylinder Head Death Match..Indy 440-SR 295 CNC vs. TFS 240

-

LXguy

Reaction score
OK:

So, Im interested in opinions.

I have these Indy 440-SR 295 CNC heads on my car. The flow numbers are very comparable to the TFS heads....

My car makes 525 rwhp on my Mustang Chassis dyno. Solid roller, single plane, 727, etc.

Is the TFS standard port (affordable) new hotness really going to make similar power to the EXPENSIVE Max Wedge style Indy heads?

The advertised flow numbers are very close. I understand that flowbench data isn't everything. I understand that every flowbench is different. All that said, I trust TFS's data more than I do Indy's.

Thoughts?

TFS_zpsrwpj9scj.jpg
INdy%20CNC_zpsknimvlb9.jpg

I think TF should donate heads for the comparison! :lol:

Size is not everything so if these flow comparably with less cross section the low end manners and torque should be superior.....

Last edited:
Can't wait for Mike or IQ to chime in but reports thus far are they are as advertised

Talk, talk, talk, nobody knows for sure. I have the 240cc TrickFlow heads flowing as advertised. But, for a better comparison I think I would wait for the new 270cc Max Wedge TrickFlow heads.

If you are only making 525 rwhp then the TF heads will probably be a better choice for you. You'll most likely have a lot more torque and the same amount of power but I'd have to have more details to know for sure.

I have TF heads on a low deck 470 engine with 10.5 compression. On pump gas it is making a little over 700 hp. It is a typical bracket build with solid roller cam, wet sump, M1 intake manifold with a Dominator and 2 inch headers. Shelf stock pistons and rings, off the shelf connecting rods, etc.

You're making 700 wheel horsepower, or is that an engine dyno number?

525 rear wheel is about exactly 700 at the flywheel once you account for 727.

Whats the weight/ET?

I have TF heads on a low deck 470 engine with 10.5 compression. On pump gas it is making a little over 700 hp. It is a typical bracket build with solid roller cam, wet sump, M1 intake manifold with a Dominator and 2 inch headers. Shelf stock pistons and rings, off the shelf connecting rods, etc.[/QUOTE]

Ok. This is what I needed to hear.. I have been fighting with myself for the past 2 weeks on a new top end combo for my 470. Currently it's 10.5:1 Rpm heads that flow 317 at .650. I have a soild cam from clay Smith .575 with 1.6 rockers. 268 duration. Victor intake prosystems 1000. This is in a 66 Coronet. race weight 3645 4.30 gears and a 3500 stall. All while the car has a 518 trans.this is a street car and plan to keep it that way. Runs to low 11's and mid to low 10' s on the bottle. I want it to run mid 10's on the motor. So my biggest issues is do I swap out the heads for the TFS heads? And which ones? The 240 or 270's? Or SR's?? Or just only do the cam swap to a .620 lift or so soild roller? Any thoughts?

I have TF heads on a low deck 470 engine with 10.5 compression. On pump gas it is making a little over 700 hp. It is a typical bracket build with solid roller cam, wet sump, M1 intake manifold with a Dominator and 2 inch headers. Shelf stock pistons and rings, off the shelf connecting rods, etc.

Ok. This is what I needed to hear.. I have been fighting with myself for the past 2 weeks on a new top end combo for my 470. Currently it's 10.5:1 Rpm heads that flow 317 at .650. I have a soild cam from clay Smith .575 with 1.6 rockers. 268 duration. Victor intake prosystems 1000. This is in a 66 Coronet. race weight 3645 4.30 gears and a 3500 stall. All while the car has a 518 trans.this is a street car and plan to keep it that way. Runs to low 11's and mid to low 10' s on the bottle. I want it to run mid 10's on the motor. So my biggest issues is do I swap out the heads for the TFS heads? And which ones? The 240 or 270's? Or SR's?? Or just only do the cam swap to a .620 lift or so soild roller? Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

I'd suggest an engineering approach to the problem. Figure out how much power you are making today and then how much additional power do you want to make. Once you know those two numbers the answer becomes easier to find. I've shown a bunch of times how to make 700+ hp with a pump gas 470 using TF 240 heads so just follow what I did and you should be fine. Just for refence, 700 hp in a 3800 lb car will go mid to low 10's depending on how well you can hook it up so the 240 heads should work just fine for you.

Ok. This is what I needed to hear.. I have been fighting with myself for the past 2 weeks on a new top end combo for my 470. Currently it's 10.5:1 Rpm heads that flow 317 at .650. I have a soild cam from clay Smith .575 with 1.6 rockers. 268 duration. Victor intake prosystems 1000. This is in a 66 Coronet. race weight 3645 4.30 gears and a 3500 stall. All while the car has a 518 trans.this is a street car and plan to keep it that way. Runs to low 11's and mid to low 10' s on the bottle. I want it to run mid 10's on the motor. So my biggest issues is do I swap out the heads for the TFS heads? And which ones? The 240 or 270's? Or SR's?? Or just only do the cam swap to a .620 lift or so soild roller? Any thoughts?

I'd suggest an engineering approach to the problem. Figure out how much power you are making today and then how much additional power do you want to make. Once you know those two numbers the answer becomes easier to find. I've shown a bunch of times how to make 700+ hp with a pump gas 470 using TF 240 heads so just follow what I did and you should be fine. Just for refence, 700 hp in a 3800 lb car will go mid to low 10's depending on how well you can hook it up so the 240 heads should work just fine for you.[/QUOTE]
Thank you for the quick response. I like it. The motor now makes about 550 by itself. My next question is what is your cam spec? You can pm it of you want.

You're making 700 wheel horsepower, or is that an engine dyno number?

525 rear wheel is about exactly 700 at the flywheel once you account for 727.

Whats the weight/ET?

Hey! LXguy, howz things?

AndyF is making that at the flywheel.

I see no pictures. Just a;
IMG_0723.JPG

-
Back