Disconnect battery when parked?

-
I agree with Dana and I have a new pioneer that has memory and will drain my battery so I have it on a trickle charger 24/7 I dont unplug my fridge when I go on vacation..

Lot's of controversy on whether it's a good idea or not to have a kill switch or disconnect switch etc. We have all heard the crazy stories where we ask "how could that happen ". So for me I believe the cost and inconvenience of turning on / off the switch is small compared to losing my cherished old mopar. Just like I have it insured in case something stupid happens. Better to error on the side of caution. You may disagree.

Lot's of controversy on whether it's a good idea or not to have a kill switch or disconnect switch etc. We have all heard the crazy stories where we ask "how could that happen ". So for me I believe the cost and inconvenience of turning on / off the switch is small compared to losing my cherished old mopar. Just like I have it insured in case something stupid happens. Better to error on the side of caution. You may disagree
Now what if your kill switch contacts start getting corroded or loose and you get a weak connection and while cranking, you build up excessive heat and it starts a fire.

Every time you flip a switch or disconnect a disconnect is one time less it can be connected or disconnected in the future.

Now what if your kill switch contacts start getting corroded or loose and you get a weak connection and while cranking, you build up excessive heat and it starts a fire.

Every time you flip a switch or disconnect a disconnect is one time less it can be connected or disconnected in the future.
But at least you are present to deal with the situation not on say a weekend get away. Yes there is always possibility of something happening but again just maybe cutting down on possible scenarios might help. As far as every time you switch it on and off it wears down kinda like your brakes wear a little every time you use em but I'm glad they're there. Just saying.

Valid point, the idea of my switch wearing out has crossed my mind as well.

At the same time, not sure it is a huge issue. Worst case, it can’t be any worse than the contacts in a starter and those last for years. But a starter sees instant voltage at the contacts in the solenoid while most disconnects would only see wear from the mechanical action of the contacts closing. Doubt there will be any wear and corrosion due making contact at high loads.

There is certainly the possibility of the contacts getting loose from wear though. Seems like it would take 40 years of constant use, but not impossible. And my switch isn't a sliding contact, more similar to the contacts in the starter where a solenoid pulls some plates together and then a bar holds it there.

If someone were worried about that, I would suggest maybe a solid state solenoid (assuming they are in stock again at some point).

Lot's of controversy on whether it's a good idea or not to have a kill switch or disconnect switch etc. We have all heard the crazy stories where we ask "how could that happen ". So for me I believe the cost and inconvenience of turning on / off the switch is small compared to losing my cherished old mopar. Just like I have it insured in case something stupid happens. Better to error on the side of caution. You may disagree.

It can't hurt but I think it's about as close to unnecessary as it gets if you're purely using it to prevent fires when parked.

It takes a short or at least a loose connection that is arcing to start a fire. If it's going to happen, it's going to happen when you're driving 99.9999% of the time. Once the car has stopped and nothing is moving, the odds of a short happening are about .0001% likely. Yes these numbers are all verifiable science :D

But seriously, you'd basically have to have one of the few wires in the car that still has juice it it also have a cut or some bare wire exposed and then that exposed bare wire would somehow have to touch a ground while the car is stationary. If that scenario was going to happen, it's basically going to happen when you're driving and things are vibrating and rattling around.

This might sound weird and I might get laught on, but I'm just wondering if I'm the only one with this "fear".
I always disconnect the battery (I have installed a battery dosconnect switch) when I park my '74, even on meets. I'm worried about a fire caused by the battery. I mean, if I turn off the car and the battery is connected, there's still some load on the wires, right? I just think due to the age of the wiring, isn't it possible to cause a fire when the battery isn't disconnected?
I have to say, I've had two incidents with the wiring that almost ended in a fire (broken original amp. meter that ended pretty bad and a blown fuse)
I Have two batteries in my trunk both are disconnected after use

I don't think that is 100% true. If what you are saying then how would one turn on the four way flashers, lock the car on the side of the road and proceed to get help if say you ran out of gas ?? The interior light, horn, cigarette lighter, headlight and possibly a few other accessories will operate without the key in the ignition. So to answer the OP's question, it's not a bad practice to have a quick disconnect switch and to use it. Just my thoughts.
I agree with what you’re saying however none of the items that you named are operational unless they’re activated by a human. So another words they are off until you turn them on even though they’re on a live circuit.
And for the record, I disconnect mine too.

My 69 Charger’s clock would kill my battery within a week if I left the battery connected.

Years ago my ‘71 Mopar’s horn started blaring in the middle of the night. Did not quit until disconnected. Reason unknown.
I don’t know what might have happened if I hadn’t been close by. ( hot or melted wire/fire).
I would suggest to disconnect the battery when not in use.
Yote

That must have been a really bad battery.
Nope, brand new, happened on three new batteries.

Most electrical fires in these old cars are from batteries that are connected and left unattended.

I always disconnect the positive cable when back in the garage. Had a garage fire ten years ago, was not car related, but don't want that to even be considered that was the problem. You guys ever been questioned by a fire inspector???

I don
The cable on the battery doesn't go to the starter. It goes to the starter relay. There is another smaller wire there that makes all sorts of chit hot. Maybe best to just see for yourself. Open the door so dome lamp is on or better yet pull the headlights on. Remove and replace positive cable at battery. See spark jump. Next try same with neg' battery cable. No spark.
I don't get a spark and it goes straight to the starter with a smaller wire to the relay.

Maybe so, but @RedFish is right. When only disconnecting one cable, it's best practice to disconnect the negative. At my job, we run car fires ALL THE TIME at wrecking yards where "other" fire departments yanked the positive and left it dangling. After some jostling on the tow truck and shifting from being set down in the yard, the positive makes contact and shorts. Boom. The car is on fire.
When I'm working on the car I disconnect both.

To the people giving me **** I hope you carry a fire extinguisher because I do.

To the people giving me **** I hope you carry a fire extinguisher because I do.
I do too, even in my daily drivers.
Just this Sunday, my cousin came down to look at a big block D-150 I had, he said he wanted it.
I said I just put this fire extinguisher in it this morning, I am keeping it.
He said ok, he just wanted it for the engine and trans, even though I just drove it a few hours earlier.

When I'm working on the car I disconnect both.
So with the car left unattended, you only disconnect the positive? Why not take the extra step and disconnect both?

All I was trying to do was illustrate real world experience as to why it’s not the safest practice to only disconnect the positive. Take it how you want, but it seems like you’re getting defensive so I’ll drop it.

Found this when I replaced the under dash harness of my 65 Barracuda. Guess that's why it would drain the battery after sitting a few days if I didn't disconnect the negative battery cable.

1687923309979.png

I have bought some battery terminal disconnects that were pretty hard to tell if the battery is really unhooked. I went back to just removing the negative terminal.

Slanted Mark4,

LOTS of good info here to believe. Some cautionary, and some to watch out for!

If you don't want to mess with the negative cable when storing, get one of the pictured quick disconnects!

The posters that recommend this on the NEGATIVE cable are more correct!!! Just taking the positive cable off doesn't protect you from dropping/bumping something on the battery hot + lead and causing bad things! Why chance it....be safe!!!!

Even if everything is off, and some (hot) switch manages to fail, as I had happen with one of my cars, you can let the smoke out of stuff and have great regrets! While I was running around the car like a madman on a Chinese fire drill trying to get a wrench to loosen my battery cable, my car was smokin' down...... A quick disconnect on the negative side would have saved the day. It took me 3 extra days to get home on that trip..... (home from Vegas!)

If you have a daily driver, then you aren't going to disconnect every day. But for prolonged storage....by all means, disconnect the negative cable however you choose. Re-programing the clock in the radio and a couple of stations is no big deal......compared to replacing wiring harnesses! IMHO.

Good question!!! Always brings out discussions!
Steve

The negative cable is also a LOT cheaper and easier to replace than an OE positive cable!

I too have a quick disconnect on the negative cable right at the battery post. Energized when I take the car out, terminated when parked back at home, or any period longer than say 30 min. Necessary, possibly not, peace of mind with 53 year old wiring, priceless.

Do you unplug all of your lamps and blenders etc from your home when you leave?

A switched cir that is attached to the battery has 0 amps flowing while the switch is off.

It's the same as the battery disconnect switch
I unplug the toaster every morning when I leave. I just don’t trust those things!

I unplug the toaster every morning when I leave. I just don’t trust those things!
I know a guy that goes outside and throws the MAIN breaker at the meter box when he leaves his house. He had a house fire years ago that was caused by electrical. He says he sees the difference on his power bill too. lol

-
Back