Dont loan out your tools

-
i teach a sundayschool class to 8 to 12 year olds
one of my class rules is "we can not complain that something is not fair, because "fair" is a place where piggies go to compete for ribbons

i have actually considered buying some ribbons to give as warnings to the few kids who dont seem to be able to keep that rule, but the wife though that was mean

one of my class rules is "we can not complain that something is not fair, because "fair" is a place where piggies go to compete for ribbons

i have actually considered buying some ribbons to give as warnings to the few kids who dont seem to be able to keep that rule, but the wife though that was mean
Exactly, You should instead go out buy enough "Participation" Trophy's so they all get one!

People sense of what is fair is unbelievable. I worked with a guy that borrowed two BRP high dollar jet skis from his father in law. Took them out a blew one of the engines up. To which his level of responsibility was, " I ain't paying for that, it would have blown up on his father in law anyway!"
Yeah, you have to be VERY selective on who you loan your stuff to!

When my F150 went down and I still had some towing to do, I borrowed a friend's F250 with a worked 6.0L. I treated his truck better than he did.

I told him if he breaks it, that's on him. If I break it then that's on me and I don't have the money to fix it.

Exactly, You should instead go out buy enough "Participation" Trophy's so they all get one!

nope, there is one behavior award (also known as the "quiet seat price") which is sometimes geared towards boys, sometimes towards the girls
the rules are the same each week, and while i teach my wife keeps an eye on the kids and eliminates them one by one as they break the rules

best part is, if the award is more girly, and a boy wins it, they usually share it or give it to the girls
and the other way around

When my F150 went down and I still had some towing to do, I borrowed a friend's F250 with a worked 6.0L. I treated his truck better than he did.

I told him if he breaks it, that's on him. If I break it then that's on me and I don't have the money to fix it.
You were indeed lucky. My buddy that I loaned all the tools to works almost exclusively on 6.0 , 6.4 , and 6.7 Ford diesels. He has 4 lifts and at any time two of them will have Ford 250,350 cabs in the air, working on those POS diesels. He'll have 20 -30 Ford Diesels at his shop at any given time. I would never borrow one, cause like you if it broke on me I would be responsible.

I loaned one of my neighbors a 1" craftsman combo wrench for whatever he was doing. He knocks on my door, I open it and he slaps a 1" china in my hand real quick. He turns and starts haul azz down my driveway. Called his name and acted like he didn't hear me. I start down the drive. I yelled at him, got his attention, and when he turned around I was wielding the wrench by the open end. He went and got my wrench. He was a pest borrowing stuff, and I never had what he needed after that.

I don't loan stuff out anymore, tools ,trailers, or the weedeater so most of my family ends up here when they want to work on their stuff. Totally inadvertent, but people have a habit of putting small tools, wrenches, and sockets in their pocket and it ends up going home with them...... Chasing tools again. Last time I loaned a trailer out, it took 2 months to get it back. It was 2 hours drive into a different state and I kept hearing "Next time I'm down there" It took me explaining to him felony theft and Monday, before I got it back. Umm, yeah, they used it to haul chicken or horse shyt, and he didn't have $20 bucks to replace the hanging light. I explained to him the trailer light will cost him far less than one for his Durango. Within an hour he was back with a light and out there cleaning the trailer. People! No good deed goes unpunished. lol I hate to be that way with people, but damn.

Last edited:
For all the reasons listed above, I try not to borrow anything. If I can afford it I'll buy it. If I can't I'll go to a rental shop and rent it!

I have a friend that I loaned quite a few tools to start his shop 6 years ago, Cherry picker, big battery charger, Heinz Warner trans jack,shop heaters, A/C tools. Well little by little he bought me a new cherry picker, new battery charger, Bought the trans jack from me, heaters, etc. So yes there are some good guys left in this world.
For the first time in 6 years of working where I do, I had all my tools brought BACK to me without having to ask or chase. It felt weird.

Last time I loaned a trailer out
I'm glad the son in law is only a few miles away, and responsible with my things.

Tools or trailers or whatever, people just don't respect other people's things, but turn the tables and you'd be a total a**hole. Go figure.

I'm glad the son in law is only a few miles away, and responsible with my things.

Tools or trailers or whatever, people just don't respect other people's things, but turn the tables and you'd be a total a**hole. Go figure.
Sometimes you gotta be "that" guy.

You were indeed lucky. My buddy that I loaned all the tools to works almost exclusively on 6.0 , 6.4 , and 6.7 Ford diesels. He has 4 lifts and at any time two of them will have Ford 250,350 cabs in the air, working on those POS diesels. He'll have 20 -30 Ford Diesels at his shop at any given time. I would never borrow one, cause like you if it broke on me I would be responsible.

The nice thing is Danny, the owner of the truck, is Ford diesel certified. He's already got a ton of money in the upper end with a lot of upgrade parts that cure some of the factory ills.

But it swung both ways. When he borrowed my trailer, he'd bring it back better than it left.

All tires at proper pressure, all straps stowed neatly. I'd leave the toolbox a mess from my last job and he'd spend an hour organizing. Hell, he had a small fortune in locks and pins for the ramp doors and toolbox.

The nice thing is Danny, the owner of the truck, is Ford diesel certified. He's already got a ton of money in the upper end with a lot of upgrade parts that cure some of the factory ills.

But it swung both ways. When he borrowed my trailer, he'd bring it back better than it left.

All tires at proper pressure, all straps stowed neatly. I'd leave the toolbox a mess from my last job and he'd spend an hour organizing. Hell, he had a small fortune in locks and pins for the ramp doors and toolbox.
Those are keeper friends!

I always told my son: Life's not fair. Just short.
He hated that.

People sense of what is fair is unbelievable. I worked with a guy that borrowed two BRP high dollar jet skis from his father in law. Took them out a blew one of the engines up. To which his level of responsibility was, " I ain't paying for that, it would have blown up on his father in law anyway!"
Yeah, you have to be VERY selective on who you loan your stuff to!

See above.

But seriously, Folks.
It all depends.
Sometime we borrow things.
But I can tell you that (most all without exception) aircraft mechanic will hunt you down like a dog if they even happen to pick up your tools by mistake to return it to you. Plane jobs are routinely preformed by a group of people.
One thing you don't want people to think about you in aviation, you steal.
Maybe it's not like that in car dealership shops?
Just saying.

I worked at a dealer. We would loan tools to each other. If it was not returned immediately and cleaner, if possible, you would never, ever be loaned another tool. Someone else, No Stinking Way.

fair.jpg

I always told my son: Life's not fair. Just short.
He hated that.

The only one who can and has any right to say "life is not fair" is God Himself.

He creates human kind and loves us so dearly beyond anyone's comprehension. Lets us stick around even when we don't love Him back and are absolute animals with each other. Still forgives and to add salt to injury, even sends His only begotten Son to come and be rejected by us and die brutally at our savage hands, only to forgive us yet again as we forsake His teachings.

yea, life isn't fair for some I guess

Last edited:

I disagree completely with your wife on that one! Life lessons are learnt best when they are harsh, not soft and fluffy and nice.

The only one who can and has any right to say "life is not fair" is God Himself.

He creates human kind and loves us so dearly beyond anyone's comprehension. Lets us stick around even when we don't love Him back and are absolute animals with each other. Still forgives and to add salt to injury, even sends His only begotten Son to come and be rejected by us and die brutally at our savage hands, only to forgive us yet again as we forsake His teachings.

yea, life isn't fair for some I guess

Well, then by that logic life's not fair (to anyone) in a positive sense.
"Don't complain because you don't get what you ask for. Be thankful you don't get what you deserve".
The point stands.
:poke:
Or at least, it might be said that life would not be fair to those who treated like animals by others.
(Unless you would submit that they are worthy of being treated by animals).

I believe you have touched on the "atheist" one point which might have substance.
"The problem of suffering".

Are you "Job" or are you one of his three friends?
Or his wife?
:mad: God and die? :lol:

Last edited:
I disagree completely with your wife on that one! Life lessons are learnt best when they are harsh, not soft and fluffy and nice.
Exactly who every child needs both a mom and a dad...they need the harsh and the fluffy

yes, exactly....that kinda surprised me when he said I had to go get it myself if I want it back.

I had to hide a ton of fear approaching an unknown house and asking a guy I don't know to give my stuff back. I don't really think he took me serious.

How am I going to argue or intimidate a guy who has probably a foot and a half and about 100 pounds on me.

I somewhat regret not trying to take a better stand but I am not sure it would have been worth 150. bucks

Besides What would Jesus do ....he will get his someday, I am blessed that I can afford to get on fleabay and buy a new one anyways.

I just started the thread to remind the fabo family this happens so be careful. At the end of the day, it's just material items that wont mean much when you are hanging out with Mr. Jesus Sir. IMO It's just shame it has to be like this

It is not your responsibility. You did not loan the tool to the Creep, you loaned it to your "buddy". It is his responsibility to return the tool you loaned him. $150 is cheap to find out your "buddy" is just using you and is a thief. Treat him accordingly. As for you going to the Creeps house, you should never put yourself or anyone else at risk. It is never worth it. Safety first, always.

Most of the time I am happy to loan out a tool, because usually they ask "Can you look at my car? It's making a noise", meaning "Can you fix my car, without payment of course".

Great thread. My list of tool loaning stories is long. A lifetime long. So only a couple.
Toolbox i had in my youth,rim full of everything i needed at that time. Room mate needed to borrow it. Threw a house party that night and box walked out with a party goer. He never replaced it. I was pissed. However i was happy i kept my good wrench set in my car at all times. They didnt get that set.

co-worker was bad for borrowing tools. Returned one broken air chisel,and i was an asshole for refusing to lend him anything again. Snappy truck showed up and i replaced broken tool with a better chisel and left the broken one on his toolbox. F him.

Buddy’s son needed my spring compressor kit. Didnt return it on day we agreed,as i needed it that morning for a job. He thought it was no big deal, and when i stated that i keep my promises,especially to my customers his girlfriend showed up a few hours later with the kit.

he no getting any tools from me, or free advice or even the time of day. Same goes for his dad.

neighbour needs a tool,sure. Comes right back. Showed him where spare shop key is, just in case im not around.

-
Back