Finally getting to it!!! 1970 Duster 340

-
Mine is so close at getting done but hit a roadblock. So my car won't be making it to Carlisle this year.

Sorry to hear that Johnny. What glitch did you run into? I'll be taking lots of pics tomorrow Dan. Steve will spraying the paint that duplicates the dip primer today. The plan is to lay it on heavy from the top and bottom of the car simultaneously to duplicate primer drips. Steve has been working on a painting strategy for the body color to duplicate engine bay, trunk and underside over spray as close as possible. I can't drescibe how excited I am to finally get to this point of the resto. It's been 34 years since I took the car off the road. Life has put a few bumps in the road since then and I never would have guessed that it would be this long of a wait to get to this point.

My vinyl top has to get redone over. It has been cracking do to shrinkage. So he is going to get the guy who did my seats to do the top this time. He did a very good job recovering my seats so you'll have to check them out when your there. They look very nice! Steve's learning that you just can't do everything in house and gotta sub it out sometimes.

I'm a bit afraid to ask Kevin since this might be another case of bodyshop jail but is there any progress on your Duster?

Danny
Not at all. Not like the other guy Kevin had. The last I saw was Kevin's car looked ready to be painted, but the shop has this NASCAR Daytona they been working on and apparently has deadline's to meet for the magazines.
Found: The Last Wing Car - Hot Rod Network

This car must be pretty important that it put's a hold on Kevin's car including my Demon which has been close to being done since the beginning of this year and can't wait for it to be finished.

Last edited:
Gives me the motivation to start mine !! Youre car is incredible believe me , saved up all the pics for my references , you can be proud its an amazing ,simple but beautiful restoration !!!

Thanks Valerian. It has been a labor of love. My body man has had some issues which have halted progress on the Duster. Hopefully, he can get some paint on the car sooooon.

Not to hijack youre post..here my pride and joy , was in the woods since 1978 and didnt run since 73 , fj5 340 4 speed car , it inspires me so much to start the restorarion , every part is detailled or in perfectly restored , you can be proud !! Youll inspire me and all the others to pursue their goals !!

20170723_171158_HDR_Film1.jpg

20170621_182534_HDR_Film1-1.jpg

20170722_191822_HDR_Film1.jpg

Thanks for the kind words Valerian. Life has been crazy for the last month or 2. We are in the process of buying a home, selling a home and doing a local move. It's bad enough to move household items but now I need to transport car parts including my engine, tranny and K member assembly. I will be borrowing a quality K member cradle from Steve because my cobbled together dolly cradle wouldn't make the trip. January is going to be a crazzzzy month!!!

Thanks for the kind words Valerian. Life has been crazy for the last month or 2. We are in the process of buying a home, selling a home and doing a local move. It's bad enough to move household items but now I need to transport car parts including my engine, tranny and K member assembly. I will be borrowing a quality K member cradle from Steve because my cobbled together dolly cradle wouldn't make the trip. January is going to be a crazzzzy month!!!
Sounds like it for sure Kevin. It's been crazy and stressfull for me as life has been throwing some curveballs into my life.

I have to admit Kevin when I saw your thread update my hope was the bodyshop was making progress. Sounds like as busy as you are its not at the very top of your list of concerns. Hope all the craziness goes well and you'll be all ready in your new place when your car is done.

Steve is ready to paint the imitation dip primer. The car is in the booth and ready to go.I expect to get some pics in the near future. I'm sorry to hear that things have been stressful for you John. Just letme know if thereis anything that I can do to help. I come to the realization that the only time that life is stress free is when we're dead!

Steve is ready to paint the imitation dip primer. The car is in the booth and ready to go.I expect to get some pics in the near future. I'm sorry to hear that things have been stressful for you John. Just letme know if thereis anything that I can do to help. I come to the realization that the only time that life is stress free is when we're dead!
Yep allot of stress was lifted off me after my father passed away this morning. My dad pretty much died inside when my mother passed away back in July.

I'm so sorry to hear about your parents John. My deepest sympathy to you and your family.

I'm so sorry to hear about your parents John. My deepest sympathy to you and your family.

I appreciate that Kevin......thank you. It was sure a rough and bumpy road which should smooth out now.

This weekend was the big move into our new house. I still have some miscellaneous car parts to bring over from the old home. Friday was engine/tranny moving day. Steve loaned me a K-member cart and my good friend Greg helped me load it onto the cart and into his trailer. We finally got the engine into my new garage around 9:30 Friday night. It was a lot of work for 2 old farts! My wife read my mind and bought him a bottle of good single malt scotch.

This weekend was the big move into our new house. I still have some miscellaneous car parts to bring over from the old home. Friday was engine/tranny moving day. Steve loaned me a K-member cart and my good friend Greg helped me load it onto the cart and into his trailer. We finally got the engine into my new garage around 9:30 Friday night. It was a lot of work for 2 old farts! My wife read my mind and bought him a bottle of good single malt scotch.
Where about did you move to too from where you lived?

John,we moved to Brownstown....it's only about 5 miles away from the other house. Moving is the pits!

I have exciting news. The Duster is wearing some red paint. Steve sent me some pics of the car with faux dip primer and FE5 red over spray. I can't tell you all how jazzed I am. It's been a long bumpy ride but this makes it all worth it. I will try to post some pics later today. I hope to get to the shop tonight to see the car in person.

I have exciting news. The Duster is wearing some red paint. Steve sent me some pics of the car with faux dip primer and FE5 red over spray. I can't tell you all how jazzed I am. It's been a long bumpy ride but this makes it all worth it. I will try to post some pics later today. I hope to get to the shop tonight to see the car in person.
Can't wait to see it Kevin!

-
Back