From the junk pile?

-
From one of the T/A heads.

Intake manifolds 043.jpg
Intake manifolds 044.jpg
Intake manifolds 042.jpg
Intake manifolds 045.jpg
Okay, now I'm starting to remember..........about 15 years ago.............there was this accident we built a new set of heads for.................

Hard to see, but in the last picture the guide boss tail is broken off. I suppose I could see if a new guide would fit tight......maybe someday.

Yes, they have been ported by someone, not us.

I've seen some f,ed stuff but don't think I have ever seen a valve bent like that!

I had that conversation with a member and was chided for saying the same thing. I was told the TA head outflowed other heads by 10-15 cfm having a different port... UMMMM NO!

When I moved I threw away 7000 pounds of "stuff"... too bad scrap wasn't $240 a ton like the old days.
Yep, I understand. I haven't got back to the crankshafts yet. I've got cars and trucks full of "stuff" in the yard.

Now I see, The rocker failed, the pin came out, the roller fell out, the rocker pushed the retainer down and the keepers fell off, the valve dropped and hit the piston. Or the spring broke and the whole thing fell apart. Yep that's it!

People sure change.

Port job looks like templet crap, Heavy *** valves.
A lot of people would love to get one head and match up another, but just go ahead and throw it away and do it while those people watch.

All it takes is one contradiction to rub some wrong. "How could anyone do it cheaper than me" .... well that's cause you're tired of doing it....and when you're tired of doing it, someone else will, someone who still enjoys doing it.

Don't look back now.

Last edited:
I got a X- Head for free because someone broke off the valve cover bolt between intake ports than tried 4 times to drill it out in every direction into both ports and the machine shop said it was junk. I drilled it for a 3/8 fine thread bolt, used a cut off tap and a cut off bolt, red locktite redrilled it for the VC bolt contoured the ports and used it with no problem. You wouldn't believe some of the things I have fixed.

Like I said, One mans junk is another mans treasure.

People sure change.

A lot of people would love to get one head and match up another, but just go ahead and throw it away and do it while those people watch.

All it takes is one contradiction to rub some wrong. "How could anyone do it cheaper than me" .... well that's cause you're tired of doing it....and when you're tired of doing it, someone else will, someone who still enjoys doing it.

Don't look back now.
If IQ52 says it's junk and useable then it is.

If IQ52 says it's junk and useable then it is.
No one person is the end all, you should get out more so you can see for yourself. And that's not a knock on you or him.

You gotta love it, you gotta want it, or you gotta get out and let someone else have their turn.

People sure change.

Don't look back now.
I do agree with the sentiment, and the attitude with which I assume it was presented.

Don't look back? Well that is the plan!

We've got 906, RPM and Stealth heads that flow in excess of 340-350 cfm. No welding, no epoxy! Can you comprehend how much research and work that took on my son's part?

Nobody wanted to pay (with few exceptions)...........now give it away for free? They go on our engines or they go in the scrap!

I quit a job and had the boss say, "Hey, wait a minute! How much raise would it take to make you to stay?"

To which I replied, "You don't understand do you? Too late, I already quit! I've already got another job. You don't have enough money!"

Times up! No more porting! I've got better things to do than inhale cylinder head dust. I've already got another job.

Back to elevating the height of the scrap pile. Got a big German Shepherd guarding it too. Good boy Louie!

I do agree with the sentiment, and the attitude with which I assume it was presented.

Don't look back? Well that is the plan!

We've got 906, RPM and Stealth heads that flow in excess of 340-350 cfm. No welding, no epoxy! Can you comprehend how much research and work that took on my son's part?

Nobody wanted to pay (with few exceptions)...........now give it away for free? They go on our engines or they go in the scrap!

I quit a job and had the boss say, "Hey, wait a minute! How much raise would it take to make you to stay?"

To which I replied, "You don't understand do you? Too late, I already quit! I've already got another job. You don't have enough money!"

Times up! No more porting! I've got better things to do than inhale cylinder head dust. I've already got another job.

Back to elevating the height of the scrap pile. Got a big German Shepherd guarding it too. Good boy Louie!
Oh I wouldn't give it away for free. If I were you, list the good, useable stuff, make a buck or two and junk the rest

No one person is the end all, you should get out more so you can see for yourself. And that's not a knock on you or him.

You gotta love it, you gotta want it, or you gotta get out and let someone else have their turn.
I get that. From the sound of it, these things are broken beyond repair. Unless they are a rare head, ain't nothing but scrap or wall hangers

Wall hanger are sometimes nice, but for some it's cut it in slices to see how thick the casting is, That's a good starting point in porting, and using a junk head is best.
X heads are different than J heads and depending on the casting one J head is different from another J head but if you could cut them all up you could have a better understanding of the insides.

Sense we got a lot of good guys on this thread and I don't want to high jack it but I'm just curious who can tell me how to fix this Hemi intake and keep the original threads. I already fixed it and at the end I will show you how I did it. This is a EZ out broke off in a coil bolt in a 69 Hemi Intake. Maybe I should start a new thread on this, what do you think.

001.JPG

The Hemi? A new thread I think.

Somethings are coming out of the pile that are keepers and/or finishers. I think I will keep and finish the 920's and keep the 906 'boat anchors'. The 906 heads made 554 RWHP on a 9.7:1 compression normally aspirated 451.

Intake manifolds 049.jpg
Intake manifolds 050.jpg

Yes, it is a deep dark hole.
Intake manifolds 046.jpg
Intake manifolds 047.jpg
Intake manifolds 048.jpg

Then 730 HP on a 500" pump gas wedge at Comp Cams engine dyno, even though we were going with 15 bent valves at the time. Old story, oft recited.

O.K. I started a new thread for the repair for a broke bolt in aluminum

The Hemi? A new thread I think.

Somethings are coming out of the pile that are keepers and/or finishers. I think I will keep and finish the 920's and keep the 906 'boat anchors'. The 906 heads made 554 RWHP on a 9.7:1 compression normally aspirated 451.

View attachment 1715132361 View attachment 1715132363

Yes, it is a deep dark hole. View attachment 1715132364 View attachment 1715132365 View attachment 1715132366

Then 730 HP on a 500" pump gas wedge at Comp Cams engine dyno, even though we were going with 15 bent valves at the time. Old story, oft recited.
Welded up chamber 902 heads.
It's dark with a thin ceiling...Those 440 heads get laid back so much:poke:

Whoosh, right over my head! What are you talking about?
I was joking about the 273 heads, before you posted that... I was recollecting when spray welding 906 chambers was the talk, for a month or so...hotrod ragazine . The 906's dark hole, I'm pretty sure I can imagine what it looks like.
Funny how dogs will eat anything...

Those T/A heads must have a lot of value for a purist restoration. There just aren't many floating around.

I wonder if a restoration purist would even consider running them. I personally wouldn't want to buy a set that someone else has already been grinding on, but it might not mean that much. Since we have them though, they went back upstairs in the fix-someday-slot (with the Harland Sharp rockers). They have .502 OS 3/8 iron guides installed and I'm sure we can fix the guide in the port with the broken guide boss. New bronze guides, hard seats, 11/32 stem valves and some flow tests in the future.

I wonder if a restoration purist would even consider running them. I personally wouldn't want to buy a set that someone else has already been grinding on, but it might not mean that much. Since we have them though, they went back upstairs in the fix-someday-slot (with the Harland Sharp rockers). They have .502 OS 3/8 iron guides installed and I'm sure we can fix the guide in the port with the broken guide boss. New bronze guides, hard seats, 11/32 stem valves and some flow tests in the future.

I may be able to hook you up with some brand new bushed T/A rockers and shafts. PM me if you are interested.

-
Back