Garage smells like fuel

-

Mopar-Man

Big Block Better Burnout
Reaction score
Guess it's time to change the braided line out again when you can smell it in the house! Man, this ethanol sure eats it up. I am going to do Teflon lined this time but that means all new fittings (yay!). If you haven't done this before, note that the Teflon lines are SMALLER I.D. so you need to go larger. For example 8AN rubber almost equals 10AN Teflon. Hey, it's only money, right?

:soapbox:

Yup! Only money, you can always make more right?!?! LOL

FYI, just had that same issue on my sons Duster, my wife was so pissed I thought the car was going to spend the winter in the driveway, he drained the fuel pulled the tank, and found the filler grommet was cracked and leaking a bit but enough to make the smell, you guys have a bigger ethanol in the fuel issue down there than in Canada as our percentages are MUCH lower, some stations are worse than others but our Chevron up here is very low, also there is a product called" Startron" it is a fuel additive designed to combat methanol issues as well as other fuel issues, and it is also a fuel stabilizer, we use it regularly in the Marine business it is very cheap as a 1/2 liter bottle treats about 1200 liters, it would help with your issue.

If you can use plain old rubber line 30r9 or 30r14 will suffice long-term. If it's still smelling of fuel you may have another issue.

How long is the section(s)of hose? If it is one, or a few short sections, use the fuel injected approved Barricade hose from Gates. It is approved for both ethanol and marine use. O'Reilly sells it, but make sure it comes off the light green plastic roll and says on the side "FOR FUEL INJECTION". It is rated up to 200 PSI.

Teflon lines are SMALLER I.D. so you need to go larger. For example 8AN rubber almost equals 10AN Teflon. Hey, it's only money, right?

:soapbox:

I would question the sizing comparison. Teflon has MUCH MUCH LESS friction than does "rubber" I bet it flows better with same no. size

How long is the section(s)of hose? If it is one, or a few short sections, use the fuel injected approved Barricade hose from Gates. It is approved for both ethanol and marine use. O'Reilly sells it, but make sure it comes off the light green plastic roll and says on the side "FOR FUEL INJECTION". It is rated up to 200 PSI.
Do you know what the rating stamp (whatever it's called) is on that hose? Is that the 30r14 hose?

To help combat that issue,
My 3/8 steel line has just about 6 to 8 inches of rubber on it in total. And except for the connection between the mechanical pump and supply line each connection is very nearly metal to medal, so the clamps are less than 2 inches apart. There is only one rubber connection between the pump and carb, right at the dual feed, where again the metal pipes are nose to nose.
The mechanical pump is the common Carter HO 7.5psi pump, but every time I measure it, it only breaks 5.5psi on the running engine.
I put a large canister filter at the back with one side having a screw-on fitting and the other side barb to barb. I jumpered that with a short 2" piece of rubber and the clamps very close together again.
The hose is common 3/8 carb hose, and all has been this way, leak-free, since about 2002. And yes the filter is still the originally installed item, and yes it is on the suction side. There are are no filters in the 750DP. Car goes 93 in the 1/8 @3467 pounds. Engine has over 100,000 miles. The chassis and fuel line has over 125,000 miles since "restoration".
I run 87E10 exclusively.

I too have to wonder, if the fumes are coming from somewhere else.

FYI, just had that same issue on my sons Duster, my wife was so pissed I thought the car was going to spend the winter in the driveway, he drained the fuel pulled the tank, and found the filler grommet was cracked and leaking a bit but enough to make the smell, you guys have a bigger ethanol in the fuel issue down there than in Canada as our percentages are MUCH lower, some stations are worse than others but our Chevron up here is very low, also there is a product called" Startron" it is a fuel additive designed to combat methanol issues as well as other fuel issues, and it is also a fuel stabilizer, we use it regularly in the Marine business it is very cheap as a 1/2 liter bottle treats about 1200 liters, it would help with your issue.

I have a big ol bottle of Startron. I use it in my sportbikes.

Now you guys got me thinking. I just ordered a new gas cap because the rubber on mine is missing a piece. I hope this helps.

Quick test is to remove the cap, lay a latex glove over the pipe, and rubber band it on. Then wait.
You might as well bag the carb while you're at it.
If you have a charcoal canister with a vent line running back to the tank, and you're not using it, then that canister too could be fuming.
If you have a breather in the valve cover that does not draw from the carb side of the airfilter house, well you better bag that too,lol.

Quick test is to remove the cap, lay a latex glove over the pipe, and rubber band it on. Then wait.
You might as well bag the carb while you're at it.
If you have a charcoal canister with a vent line running back to the tank, and you're not using it, then that canister too could be fuming.
If you have a breather in the valve cover that does not draw from the carb side of the airfilter house, well you better bag that too,lol.

I do have a charcoal canister. I opened the garage door. Worked great for removing fumes. Trouble is, I have to close it again. LOL.

Actually, the standard Barricade hose has the 30r14 spec. The Barricade injection hose is a step above that.

This is the standard Barricade hose:

Barricade™ Fuel Line Hose
Low-permeation, premium hose for use on carbureted engines, PCV and EEC systems, and for fuel
return hose on fuel injection systems. Not for use on the pressure-side of fuel injection systems.
Approved for use with leaded and unleaded gasoline, diesel, bio-diesel, E-85, Methanol, Ethanol, and
gasohol fuels. Patented 5-layer Greenshield™ barrier technology keeps fuel out of the environment
while delivering peak fuel efficiency.
• Meets SAE J30R14T1, EPA 40 CFR 1051.110 , and CARB small engine off-road requirements for
low permeation
• Textile spiral layer (2 spiral)
• Thermoplastic barrier layer
• Oil, heat, ozone and abrasion resistant cover
• Recommended for carbureted engines in cars, light trucks, off-road vehicles and small engines
NOTE: Do not submerse in gasoline.
WARNING: Do not use on pressure lines on fuel injection systems or cooling system applications.
Use MPI (4219D) or Barricade Fuel Injection (4219BF) hose for Multi-Port Injection systems.
Temperature: -40° F to 257° F (-40° C to 125° C)
Packaging: Working 2’ retail 25’ length 250’ reel
I.D. (in.) I.D.(mm) O.D.(in.) O.D.(mm) (psi) Part No. Part No. Part No.
3⁄16 4.8 13⁄32 10.3 50 27302 27312 27321
1⁄4 6.3 1⁄2 12.7 50 27303 27313 27323
5⁄16 8.0 9⁄16 14.3 50 27304 27314 27324
3⁄8 9.5 5⁄8 15.9 50 27305 27315 27325
1⁄2 12.7 25⁄32 19.8 35 27306 27316 27326
(Product Type 4219BG)

The following is the Barricade fuel injection hose.

Barricade™ Fuel Injection Hose (MPI)
Low-permeation, premium hose for use on all fuel systems, including fuel injection (MPI). Approved
for use with gasoline, diesel, bio-diesel including soybean methyl ester (SME), rapeseed methyl
ester (RME), palm methyl ester (PME) per ASTM D6751, E-85, methanol, ethanol, ethanol extended
gasoline, and gasohol fuels. Patented 5-layer Greenshield™ barrier technology keeps fuel out of the
environment while delivering peak fuel efficiency.
• Exceeds SAE J30R14T3 (except for kink resistance) as well as low-permeation requirements for CARB
• Aramid reinforcement spiral braid for superior burst strength
• Thermoplastic barrier layer
• Oil, heat, ozone and abrasion resistant cover
• 225 psi working pressure rating
• Recommended for any fuel injection applications for superior service life
NOTE: Do not submerse in gasoline.
Temperature: -40° F to 275° F (-40° C to 135° C) continuous, up to 302°F (150°C) intermittent
Packaging: Working 2’ retail 25’ length 250’ reel
I.D. (in.) I.D.(mm) O.D.(in.) O.D.(mm) (psi) Part No. Part No. Part No.
1⁄4 6.3 1⁄2 12.7 225 27334 27339 27344
5⁄16 8.0 9⁄16 14.3 225 27335 27340 27345
3⁄8 9.5 5⁄8 15.9 225 27336 27341 27346
(Product Type 4219BF)
A40 l

I made a fuel cap gasket for my '72 Demon from PVC shower pan liner. Two years and it still looks and works great.
Yote

-
Back