Georgia Smooth (white lightning)

-
If you remember it, then you didn't have enough! :lol:
I used to have to check the morning newspaper to see what kind of trouble I got into the night before...
Everclear and Coke- baaaad news.
(Coca-Cola, that is)
I have called up friends the next day and say "what did I do...?" and then had to sit there and listen to the story...this was in 1989 or 90. I can't carry on too much like that any more. Then there was the time I was hitting on this gorgeous blonde, followed her into the women's room leaned in to kiss her ,woke up on the floor and she was gone. My friend said she was the most beautiful woman ever to come into this dive night club we were in. She musta been from out of town. Anyway I don't remember what she looked like except for the blone hair *** and hips... in other words I remember evrything except her face, I could have seen her the next day and not know who she was...and that was on "Old School" 86 proof Jack Daniels...:)

This is a true story told to me by my aunt. My grandpa owned a gas station/oil business with a partner. He loaded heating oil and gasoline off the train in the north woods town of Antigo, Wisconsin where he lived. He delivered heating oil to homes and gasoline to nearby gas stations starting around 3am and when he was done he would pump gas back at the station while his business partner fixed and serviced cars. It was common for him to nap in the afternoon between filling cars. One day during prohibition, a bunch of wise guys walked into the station dressed to the 9’s in hundreds of dollars worth of suits not being none to shy of who they were. You could plainly see the revolvers tucked into their pants belt line. They told him they wanted a full truckload of heating oil delivered to an intersection of two country roads just outside of town. They paid him twice the cost of the oil upfront and to be there at noon and wait. They also said keep your mouth shut. Next day he loads the truck and drives it to the meeting place and waits. After a while they show up, put him in the truck passenger seat and blind fold him.

Now my grandpa has been scared before, he spent WW1 in a french trench 10 miles behind the front line on a cot with pneumonia so bad he lost a nut. Ironically he made it back home and fathered 5 children with the remaining nut.

They drove around for about 45 minutes and he’s fearing he might not get out of this alive. The truck comes to a stop and they take off the blindfold deep into the woods and surrounded by stills. They told him to go about his business and not to pay any attention to what else is going on. He finishes up, they put him back in the truck, blindfolded him and drove back to the meeting place. They thanked him and told him to keep the blindfold on for 15 minutes and left.

He never saw them again.

A kid back in S W Ga graduated HS in '65 then he had a new 65 Impala 427 4 speed and his "job" was hauling shine to "Hot Lanta" on a weekly (daily?) basis.

When the co. law got hold of a still, they sat it on the courthouse grass for a few days after all the comficated shine was poured down the curb. Yea we had a paved street. This was the 60s. It was always questionable just what end of the shine and wacky weed business the law was actually on...... :BangHead:

I believe you couldn’t get a 427 in a 65 Impala, 66 was the first year. 396 was the biggest engine that year for the Impala.

If it did have a 427 from the factory, it would be an extremely rare car, never say never.

I believe you couldn’t get a 427 in a 65 Impala, 66 was the first year. 396 was the biggest engine that year for the Impala.

If it did have a 427 from the factory, it would be an extremely rare car, never say never.
Maybe it was a 396 but I know it was a 65 Impala. Could have been an engine swap even, it was a purpose car.

Decades later I was visiting back home in Dawson and I had business at the local bank.. The teller was that guys girlfriend back then. I wanted to ask about it all, but not a subject to bring up with others in hearing distance.

I have a quart of homemade "Grape" liquor sitting in teh cabinet . I should break it out...I dont think its from down south though some Pa Yankee boy made it...:) I call em "Pennsylvania rednecks" Its funny when true southern boys come up here LOL! They dont assimilate well...things move a little too fast around here its hard to comprehend...:)

My buddy PBR makes the peach all the time, and my brother makes the white, I usually bolster the peach with about 20% white, just to bring up the property values. It’s made for many a great jam session at the work weekends up at Wheatland!

View attachment 1716177754
Try those peaches on your ice cream.

Shine is fun stuff. Too bad it's illegal to produce in the US (Federal law) Get this, everywhere but Missouri where they allow you to produce a certain amount for personal use. I can produce it here (legally) with the proper commercial distiller license or a fuel production permit. Both are a huge pain in the azz and unless you are going commercial, not worth the pain.

Last edited:
Is making it at home the same though? I mean could I make a 1 to 5 gallon batch of authentic shine at home? I thought about buying a still kit but I started with beer and I know the beginner kits just arent big enough and you end up buying more equipment.

Is making it at home the same though? I mean could I make a 1 to 5 gallon batch of authentic shine at home? I thought about buying a still kit but I started with beer and I know the beginner kits just arent big enough and you end up buying more equipment.
You could but it is against Federal law.

Pretty much the same mashing procedure. Your beer is carbonated and enjoyed at that low proof. Hooch isn't carbonated but distilled to concentrate the alcohol. It's the distilling that is illegal. Although, it's not illegal to sell stills or still parts. Many places here in the US do. It is a grey area in the law to possess a still. (with intent to illegally produce) I would hope the Feds have bigger fish to fry than to come to your house and bust you for a 1 gallon countertop machine you bought at Lowes but I could see a over zealous local cop making a big issue out of it if a buddy just happened to mention to the wrong people that you are making hooch in your kitchen. Just sayin'. That risk is something only you can answer.

Way up North Ga. was big on illegal shine back in the day, as that land was mostly timber lots of it just poor hardwood, eroded clay hills, and populated Atlanta right closeby, then the gov ment decided to teach the locals about poultry farming to replace shine farming!! Lots of chickens and not so much shine now!

Back when I was just a kid, in S W Ga. before I got my DL and my after school and Sat, job bagging friggin groceries, I would wander the low woods/creeks with my .410 an fise dog/ I wonderd up on a few stills but never saw anyone there. Usually come Mson jars full though. I knew to leave and leave it ALL alone!

Way up North Ga. was big on illegal shine back in the day, as that land was mostly timber lots of it just poor hardwood, eroded clay hills, and populated Atlanta right closeby, then the gov ment decided to teach the locals about poultry farming to replace shine farming!! Lots of chickens and not so much shine now!

Back when I was just a kid, in S W Ga. before I got my DL and my after school and Sat, job bagging friggin groceries, I would wander the low woods/creeks with my .410 an fise dog/ I wonderd up on a few stills but never saw anyone there. Usually come Mson jars full though. I knew to leave and leave it ALL alone!
I like chicken too! :rofl: :rofl:

You can buy distilled clear spirits at many liquor stores. It's the same "white dog" they pour in the barrels. You can put it in a jar with some oak chips or a small oak barrel and finish your own. That's kind on fun. It's unaged bourbon which is all grain (corn, rye, and malted barley) and not moonshine which is made with sugar and grains.

white-dog-mash-1-compressed.png

You can buy distilled clear spirits at many liquor stores. It's the same "white dog" they pour in the barrels. You can put it in a jar with some oak chips or a small oak barrel and finish your own. That's kind on fun. It's unaged bourbon which is all grain (corn, rye, and malted barley) and not moonshine which is made with sugar and grains.

View attachment 1716178289I think I used to call that "Grain Alcohol" is it 190 proof? I could tell a story about grain alcohol but I wont..I )

Its legal just a 24 mile trip from here (Jonesboro Arkansas) i enjoy a good mash, I still have some that was made with honey, its 7 years old now and over 120 proof, so I take it with a table spoon, I will get some pictures, its smooth and disapaits almost in your mouth, honey make great moon shine , grain is corn, I seen a 115 gallon vat that was being stired.. about 4 weeks later my few friends and I got a quart, I went back and bought a pint and put a few lemon drops in it... boy howdy its still good today .

@Dartswinger70 I think I used to call that "Grain Alcohol" is it 190 proof? I could tell a story about grain alcohol but I wont..I )

Nope. The White dog I pictured is barrel entry proof which at Buffalo Trace, it's 125 proof. We have Everclear here in Iowa, I think the max it can be is 160 proof. Pure grain alcohol is as close to 200 proof as they can get. Usually 195+a couple points. It damn near takes a laboratory to produce pure 200 proof. We have a lot of Ethanol plants here that come pretty close though. Ethanol is corn liquor. LOL

Here it is, I have not opened it in 10 months, had my baby brothers friend over, baby brothers Dan birthday was the 3rd so.. RIP brother. and our cousin Feb 3rd, a table spoon full for everyone, two for a couple others, shot pool till 2am that night, I couldn't get it open so I dumped the pickled asparagus and washed it out good.. got me a taist and put it back in the fridge in the shop.

20231214_153216.jpg

20231214_153207.jpg

20231214_154006.jpg

THat looks like a party Mike.
Oh it was, two people slept in chairs in the shop, I brought them scramble eggs and bacon with a pot of coffee the next morning at 9am.. yep, they have told stories :rofl:
And kept a good fire going in the stove.

Shine is fun stuff. Too bad it's illegal to produce in the US (Federal law) Get this, everywhere but Missouri where they allow you to produce a certain amount for personal use. I can produce it here (legally) with the proper commercial distiller license or a fuel production permit. Both are a huge pain in the azz and unless you are going commercial, not worth the pain.
try cooking off likker in that thing and make some body sick! first off its not big enuff to run out proper cuts, the head shots, harts, and tails will be smeared all threw the batch! when distilling likker, you want your rig running just hot nuff to vapor out the alcohol but cool nuff to not vapor out the water...this things gonna be vaping off both,.... theres alot more to it than that!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
try cooking off likker in that thing and make some body sick! first off its not big enuff to run out proper cuts, the head shots, harts, and tails will be smeared all threw the batch! when distilling likker, you want your rig running just hot nuff to vapor out the alcohol but cool nuff to not vapor out the water...this things gonna be vaping off both,.... theres alot more to it than that!!!!
The info is gone. Anybody messing with that stuff needs to study a lot before doing anything. Like you said, proper cuts. No reason to take any chances with bad hooch. It's not as simple as plugging in a machine..

The info is gone. Anybody messing with that stuff needs to study a lot before doing anything. Like you said, proper cuts. No reason to take any chances with bad hooch. It's not as simple as plugging in a machine..
every thing you ever need to know from mash'in in to 2nd and 3rd distillation, from building a still, what type still for witch product to running stills is right here on this forum but there's a ton of required reading and commitment to hobby size rigs before these folks will discuss stuff with ya!!

Home Distiller - Index page

every thing you ever need to know from mash'in in to 2nd and 3rd distillation, from building a still, what type still for witch product to running stills is right here on this forum but there's a ton of required reading and commitment to hobby size rigs before these folks will discuss stuff with ya!!

Home Distiller - Index page
Yep.

-
Back