Got Chewed Out Today

-

Drg racr

Reaction score
I was talking to some guys earlier this week and we got on the subject of new vehicles. They talked about the new models and how they'd like to buy this or that. Then I chimed in. I told them that I will never, in my lifetime, buy a new car. It's too expensive, depreciates too fast, the quality is not as good as it used to be, and new cars are just plain ugly. They got quiet for a minute, then one proceeded to tell me how un-American I am for not supporting hard working Americans and our economy. It's like I claimed to be a communist!!! I mean, I look and try to buy American made products, and I use local services when possible. Then this guy tells me that just because I won't buy a new car I'm the enemy? :wack:
I buy older cars and fix them up to drive. It's just what I like to do. These new cars are all plastic, fiberglass and metal so thin they rust after one winter. They look like an oversized kidney bean too!! lol
So, I ask, am I the bad guy this idiot claims me to be?

I for one look at it this way.
Both old & new have there place.

Comparing them to each other isn't the best thing to do.
My 300C would out run my 1969 340 Dart all day long.
The Dart is a fun car, but would I want to drive it every day, no.

I hear them say," they don't build them like used to".
That I'm glad for.
The newer stuff will out run & go 3 times further than the old stuff.

In a perfect world, I would rather have something old & something new.

are you a commie ?
take this simple test

did you vote for Obama?

if you answered no, then congratulations, you are an American
if you answered yes, then you are indeed a commie.

besides, what new car do they want you to buy ?
a dodge so the profits can go to Italy?
or a Toyota so the profits can go to japan?
or a Volkswagen so the profits can go to Germany?
or a Volvo so the profits can go to Sweden?
or maybe, a Hyundai, so the profits can go to korea?

Many new cars don't have American parts nor are they designed by Americans. And in the case of "we used to be Chrysler," it's not even an American co. anymore.

I don't owe assembly line union scale workers a damnned thing.

Well, I took the quiz, and thankfully, I'm not a commie!! So, I guess I can keep my American flag waving in my front yard.
As for the guy, I chuckled and walked away.

If you want to buy American made you will have to buy a Honda or Toyota. My Ram was built in mexico.

So, when you buy an older car from someone you aren't supporting the economy?

Hell, even if you were in the market for something newer (but not new) aren't you still supporting the local business man who owns the used car dealership? If you buy from a private individual aren't you supporting the economy so that person can pay his bills/buy more things?

When it comes time for parts and you buy AMD or Edelbrock or whatever, aren't you supporting the economy by making your purchases through Summit or Jegs or O'Reilly's or Advance?

The guy's a tool. You can tell him to join the board so we can all tell him he's a tool.

New cars all but make you waffles while driving them but they look like tasteless silver blobs, My friend drives a kia soul and it has some Pep but It is advertised as being made by hamsters who the hell wants to drive that? lol

Ok, your worse for the following reasons; (or not LMAO)

Your a recycler! Shame on you for restoring American history with American parts made in America by the American worker sold to American business to support American labor force.

Shame on you for celebrating the old hay days of American muscle with time, blood & sweat of your hard work to drive a classic.

Your even a polluter with new paint from the American store supporting an American biz that further pollutes the air and see with your shiny new paint and chrome. And OMG! That interior. How lavish it is with new carpet and seat covers made in America sold by American companies.

How about all those soft parts? Rubber lines?
All that heavy steel! Turn it in for tuna can manufacturing now!

Make your list of American companies and places of biz that you have used in keeping your car running from basic rebuild places that the local store uses to the resto houses do biz with. Write it out with a sarcastic apology at the end for not purchasing a new car in favor of restoring an old on or just simply getting the most out of your current car.
I also just got done with 1 and 1 mid way through collage. Whew! And 1 yet to go!
New car? LAMO along with the day dream of lotto winnings!
Then Tell them to kiss you ***, loudly!

I say , ask yourself why are our new cars/trucks SO darn expensive????? O K (so the cars are stupid UGLY..)

a few possible answers actually enter my weak brain.

high profit/ greed/ mismanagement of the auto co>????

excessive pay/ retirement pension packages of workers?????

poor quality/ bad engineering? CALLBACKS and buy backs!!????

I admit, if the prices!!!!!! / design/quality were there, even at my age, I would consider going into hock for a new vehicle, and just be buried in it!??? BUT it ain't!!!

When all of the so called "American" companies put the welfare of people over the welfare of profits, then we can start talking!! How about recycling???? If those gents who support continued stripping of our natural resources to make yet more cars than we need, then they should be the ones questioning their integrity, not you!!!

If you want to buy American made you will have to buy a Honda or Toyota. My Ram was built in mexico.

Not true..my F150 was built in Dearborn,Michigan i for one will NEVER own foreign automakers "pieces of ****"..:violent1::violent1::violent1:

Not true..my F150 was built in Dearborn,Michigan i for one will NEVER own foreign automakers "pieces of ****"..:violent1::violent1::violent1:

LOL ok , I challenge you, ok , I dare you , to look over every inch of that truck and let us know when you find that every piece of that thing is American made...:D

it may have been "assembled" in Michigan , but damn near every part came from outside the USA :blob:

I say , ask yourself why are our new cars/trucks SO darn expensive????? O K (so the cars are stupid UGLY..)

a few possible answers actually enter my weak brain.

high profit/ greed/ mismanagement of the auto co>????

excessive pay/ retirement pension packages of workers?????

poor quality/ bad engineering? CALLBACKS and buy backs!!????

I admit, if the prices!!!!!! / design/quality were there, even at my age, I would consider going into hock for a new vehicle, and just be buried in it!??? BUT it ain't!!!

As a union worker for Ford Motor company and worked for Chrysler in the 70's I have to say that the union worker pay isnt the reason the vehicles cost so much. I haven't had a raise in 13 years, the price of the cars are up over 25%, the management staff has received raises, the CEO is hitting the lottery every year. 60 million a year. The corporate lawyers make more than the people that put the cars together. Yes we have good benefits, and our pay is good, not as good as it was, but in the end labor cost last time I seen it was 10% of the vehicle cost.

As far as design, I see stuff every day and think, who decided to do that. Stupid crap, some could be changed to save money and improve the appearance of the vehicle.

Quality, want to blame the assemblers? Yes some are bad, but for the most part the people I work with wants to do a good job. What gets me is the management telling the inspectors that something isn't their job and not to write it up so the vehicle can go out the door when it should be repaired. They try and say safety and quality is number 1, nope, it is the number of vehicles that past a point that they get bonuses on.

A lot of times they know there is a problem and tell us to go ahead and build them and they will fix them later. A lot of times there are design problems that make the job harder or impossible to get right in the 40 seconds that you have to get multiple jobs done.

So don't blame your Union worker for the problems or cost of the vehicles.

Also without the unions that were needed in the 1930-60's the whole workforce would look different. They not only made strides to improve the pay and benefits of the Union worker, they brought the non Union work force up also.

As far as not buying a new car. That is your choice, but the used car you buy will be one that was replaced buy the previous owner with a new car in a lot of cases. I sold my wife's Freestar van yesterday and hope her new Flex is here soon. Not what I wanted to do, but to find a good used that I wanted vs a new car, we ordered a new one.

Anyone buying anything is helping the economy as long as the money is spent in the states. Someone is getting paid to work there, taxes are paid, utilities are needed. The mom and pop places put the most money back into the local economy.

As far as quality, the new cars are snap together cars to be built in the shortest amount of time, but how many of you have cars with 100,000 miles that you drive daily? Our beloved 60's MOPARS were not th cars of today, they had style and looks that cannot be denied, but they also were ready for the junk yard at 100,000 miles. Most didn't make it there. The van I sold yesterday had 146,400 miles and looked great, drove like new, used 1/2 qt oil in 4,000 miles, my truck has 152,000 miles and my Mustang has 143,000. Would drive that anywhere. So the material in a lot of cases are not as good but the quality of the components are better than ever.

One thing you cannot do is fix stupid!

Shoot, even some of the older A bodies were made in Canada. My 05 Impala dd was made in Canada.....

Assembled and made are two different things. Many times "Parts" come from over seas and then assembled in the plant. Isn't there a percentage chart or outright statement on this on the cars sticker?

Wildcat, no raise in that amount of time is brutal. I would tell your leaders it is just like working for part time pay.

GM has a high overhead on there cars (last I heard so with a grain of salt....)
After a car sale, $2500 goes to retired personal.

Those that think unions are to blame must also understand that what one union gets another doesn't automatically get. There all separate. I don't want this to get political about unions, but they are not what a lot of people think.

LOL ok , I challenge you, ok , I dare you , to look over every inch of that truck and let us know when you find that every piece of that thing is American made...:D

it may have been "assembled" in Michigan , but damn near every part came from outside the USA :blob:

I doubt it..And the most important thing..Ford is a American based company...

keep buying that "jap crap":violent1::violent1::violent1:

A robust demand for used cars increases their value and makes the purchase of a new vehicle an attractive option for some prospective car buyers. It's all a part of a larger automotive picture, and as stated there are still parts and other costs to maintaining the used car that are part of the overall economy. Obviously the new car won't be 100% U.S. made anyway. Don't let these guys tell you what you should be doing.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit if there was "jap" sourced parts on that truck. Besides the foreign car manufacturers setting up shop here so have the foreign parts manufacturers.

I used to work for an American parts manufacturer. Back in the 70s we only had domestic competition but by the late 90s the foreign companies were here. These days there are major parts companies from Europe, Asia, South America and elsewhere fighting for and getting a piece of the action.

As for domestic content, I believe that a Honda, built in Ohio, has the highest percentage of parts made in the USA. However, some of those parts were made by a foreign company.

As for older stuff being made better, yeah right, don't make me laugh. I bought a Dodge B300 van new in 74. Build quality was terrible, it was a major piece of ****. After having it a week I took it back to the dealer with a big list of problems, such as developing a half turn of play in the steering. Some of it's problems were uncorrectable, such as the rear doorway being about half an inch too wide so the rear doors didn't seal. I ended up keeping it though because I liked it in spite of the problems. I drove it 12 years and put 160K miles on it but had to junk it because severe rustout made it unsafe to drive. At 80K I had to go through the engine because it was sucking oil like mad. Even when new it used a quart every 1K.

I now have a 2000 Dakota I bought new. Build quality was excellent. No problems. It now has 225K on it, uses very little oil, virtually no rust in it. I hope to keep on driving it for a while.

All other issues aside.
Isn't it nice how someone else feels like they can tell you how to spend your money?
Yea, Clark Howard likes to point out he has taken flack from a car dealer.
Who pointed out that if everyone bought a used car (to avoid that big depreciation) like Clark recommends, no one would make any money.
Whatever.
http://mb.clarkhoward.com/showthread.php?42243-Hypocrite#post248315

I agree, I wouldn't buy brand new either. There are so many reasons practical,personal and political. The chuckle and walk away was the right answer.

So, when you buy an older car from someone you aren't supporting the economy?

Hell, even if you were in the market for something newer (but not new) aren't you still supporting the local business man who owns the used car dealership? If you buy from a private individual aren't you supporting the economy so that person can pay his bills/buy more things?

When it comes time for parts and you buy AMD or Edelbrock or whatever, aren't you supporting the economy by making your purchases through Summit or Jegs or O'Reilly's or Advance?

The guy's a tool. You can tell him to join the board so we can all tell him he's a tool.

^^^
Honored Posters,
Mr Gratis Persona...

-
Back