Got Chewed Out Today

-
The only thing un-American about that conversation is the fact that your dumb@$$ friends/coworkers/neighbors/general yahoos aren't intelligent enough to know that a good deal of the parts on those new "American" cars aren't from North America.

Goodness if it comes from Mexico for these folks, too, right? Guess they'll have a problem with 360s - which were built there.

Hell, we should also wage war on Canada too for their assembly plants and interior parts, right? "Grab that there Smith and Wesson, boy - we're going to teach the world a thing or two!"

No. Doesn't work like that.

Ironically enough, the closest thing to communism in this whole discussion is the UAW's internal politics (not the individual worker, necessarily - see WildCat's post above).

Why couldn't I think of some of this stuff when it happened?

Because someone was looking out for you. Arguing with an idiot is a waste of time that could be spent working on your car :)

Also a word to the wise: If you don't know that much about a subject, stay silent and let people think whatever they want. And if you do...pick your battles. Changing the minds of your pea-brained associates isn't going to make the world a better place.

IMO: There is a great peace of mind fixing cheap, old garbage myself than handing expensive, new garbage over to a repairman that I don't know, with skills that I don't trust, at a dealership who I don't like, who will try to tell me that they fixed the truck with magic fairy dust and voodoo.

Yes, I know there are some great mechanics out there, but I only know of one I can trust implicitly, even when I screw up: Myself.

What's more, I don't trust modern management of the 21st century, or anything it puts out. The corporate workforce has been a poster child for sloppy, dispassionate, and uncaring attitudes since our A-bodies were built, UAW or higher up. Today's incarnation adds 10 times the corporate bureaucracy and politics that existed back then, not to mention the cultural mess that happens every time a company changes hands (here's looking at you, Daimler-Chrysler-Fiat).

Neither do I buy into the "American-made" nonsense anymore, not for any company, including import vehicles made here. Crack open enough parts, and you'll find significant international outsourcing from one supplier or another. Anyone who thinks that any American vehicle today is virgin to China is fooling themselves like a Craigslister asking $20k for a slant six Duster with a tree growing through the hood.

For that matter, I don't care whether it comes from here or there - we've had enough garbage come from North America to render the previous point moot. If everyone weren't so hell bent on profit (can't blame anyone for that though), China could build stuff to a better quality than we can. They have the tools and infrastructure, we just keep accepting things built to crap specifications. Jackstands anyone? I'm not even sure if half of us here in America understand how a proper jackstand should be designed (Germany has a few makes of good ones - impossible to get here).

But I digress. What about access to repair data on new vehicles? Shop manuals? Knowledgebase articles? Recall information? Forget it. You don't get access to it, and when the tools do get sold off from dealers, individuals get locked out of the database. Presto, you just bought yourself a $40,000+ piece of four-wheeled yard art if something in this frail supply chain of information doesn't become public before your warranty runs out. Not to mention closed parts supply networks.

By comparison, the old stuff has the best manuals ever written for them, and the most comprehensive failures and "recalls" ever documented. It's called the internet, and its filled with decades of independent research from the largest team of beta testers ever compiled - owners and DIY'ers. And that includes people who are engineers and scientists by trade, who - given the opportunity and time - are often more effective at locating and/or solving factory design issues on an internet forum in the space of a week than the automaker is in solving the same problem in a year. Let's not forget the fellows with machining and CNC abilities either, who can build superior parts too.

Try digging up resources like that for new stuff. Nope.

My stuff is "proudly FIXED in America by my own two hands." And that's when I can rest easy and be proud of my gas-drinkin', piston-clunkin', air-pollutin', smoke-belchin' four-wheeled buggies from Detroit, Canada, Mexico, or the Federated Isle of Bum-Frick Fenwick.

-Kurt

If you want to buy American made you will have to buy a Honda or Toyota. My Ram was built in mexico.

That's really nothing new for Chrysler..

My 1971 D200 Pick up, my 76 B200 van, and my 86 B150 van were all built in Canada. lol

Think about how many jobs your supporting every time you place an order from
Jegs or summit. I would think that restoring an old car helps out more actual American jobs plus your the one putting the car together and you are American so there ya go.

Think about how many jobs your supporting every time you place an order from
Jegs or summit. I would think that restoring an old car helps out more actual American jobs plus your the one putting the car together and you are American so there ya go.

not to mention shell and belle tire employees
a new car cant consume anywhere near the amounts of gas and rubber our classis iron does :burnout:

I doubt it..And the most important thing..Ford is a American based company...

keep buying that "jap crap":violent1::violent1::violent1:

Ignorance at it's best.

The most "American made" vehicle right now is the Chevy Acadia. And it's assembled with only 88% of American made parts.

That's really nothing new for Chrysler..

My 1971 D200 Pick up, my 76 B200 van, and my 86 B150 van were all built in Canada. lol

My '89 Ramcharger was built in Mexico. Jamison's '89 D150 was assembled in Dodge City. Karli's Dakota was a assembled in Dodge City.

First number in the VIN is a give away. 1= US, 2= Canada, 3= Mexico.

yes my '95 ram 3500 cummins, ( I bought new in another lifetime), was built in Mexico ( I figure they shipped them the cummins!?). just broke in at 185,000. paint been peeling off the bed for 4 years now.
my X was an independent contractor for Ford assemply plant at K C once upon a time. I saw first hand some of their politics, corruption, and excessive $$$ made mainly by Ford and upper management. maybe the workers salary wasn't a big ticket, BUT how the heck does a pickup manage to cost ya $60,ooo these days!!! LOL
go to your local parts store and buy a VR, alternation, starter, fuel pump for your old Mopar. getting a good working part is a crapshoot!!! IMO BUT better than having a newer car , out of warranty, to have to take for reapirs!!!????? Ha

As far as where the vehicle was built, my 1995 Dodge Ram extended cab was built in Mexico, ALL EXTENDED CABS were built in Mexico then, standard cabs built in US

The Ford Fusion, some built in Flat Rock, MI. Some in Mexico

When I was working in Indianapolis we had parts from China, Mexico, Germany, Korea, Japan all going into the steering components for all the Ford vehicles

There isn't a single vehicle made today that does not use parts from the global parts manufacturers

The new Escape has Engines from England, Germany, Spain and a few from the good old USA

Now the manufacturer is saying they own the rights to the vehicles software till the end.

The best thing about the old cars, Model T & A, they were mechanical, parts could be reproduced when they break by a good machinist. Today the cars will be art because they cannot be fixed due to some electrical glitch that the parts cannot be fixed

I'm not saying that new cars are not good. Not saying they are bad. Just everyone has their own needs. I ordered a new car for my wife, but at this point doesn't look like she will be driving, but I still have to haul her and her stuff around.

We live in a different world than in the 60's when most of our cars were built. Even our cars have parts from around the world now. So many replacement parts come from somewhere else.

When I worked at Chrysler in the 70's we made almost everything, when I got laid off shortly after they started to outsource the alternators, ( they were made in Indy at the plant I worked at) today they are all made overseas.

We can live with our heads in the sand or work our tails off to keep the old stuff on the road, but at some point there are going to be people buy new cars. It is your choice.

Have thought about using the 74 Caddy as a daily driver, but keeping the AC working will be the biggest PIA, the start of automatic controls

View attachment image.jpg

Made in America, body by Fisher, 500 CU IN. what a ride.

These conversations and threads are always the same. We live in a global economy now, if you choose to buy a new car pick the one that best suites your needs, that is in your price range, and you personally like the styling of. Being brand loyal to multinational corporations on the delusional idea that the profits stay in a certain country is seriously naive.

Your money,your pride ,your passion... If the one person you're dealing with isn't open minded enough to at least respect your POV, it's probably a mute point anyway. Enjoy your car,whizz on his concept.

Far from it..you haven't got a clue don't worry your not alone many like you in this country now..so sad.

Oh, really, sunshine?

From Forbes:

Ford’s best-selling pickup truck doesn’t even make the cut any more because its domestic parts content fell to 70 percent when it was redesigned for the 2015 model year.

The Toyota Sienna and the Camry have more parts made in the US than the new F150.

Before that it was only about 80%. I used to work for Ford, Einstein. A lot of those "genuine FoMoCo" parts I installed came in boxes and bags that said "made in Mexico" or "made in China."

You just keep telling yourself how awesome you are. Everyone else knows different.

Oh, really, sunshine?

From Forbes:

The Toyota Sienna and the Camry have more parts made in the US than the new F150.

Before that it was only about 80%. I used to work for Ford, Einstein. A lot of those "genuine FoMoCo" parts I installed came in boxes and bags that said "made in Mexico" or "made in China."

You just keep telling yourself how awesome you are. Everyone else knows different.

LMFAO...that article was probably paid for by Toyota don't believe everything you read..and yes i am quite awesome...

Oh stroked, I like to shoot fish in barrels, but today you get a pass.... LMAO.

don't believe everything you read..and yes i am quite awesome...

That said it all. ;)

But your right, though I'd believe what they say. NOT a Ford fan. There new trucks....well, I'll pass. Most of my co-workers have big issues with them. 2 have had to get replacement engines.

LMFAO...that article was probably paid for by Toyota don't believe everything you read..and yes i am quite awesome...

Yeah, stroked off... a legend in his own mind.

Now what part of the post that I worked at Ford didn't you understand? Or WildCat's post on being an assembly line worker was hard for you to comprehend? I know these are big words for you and you like to live in your own reality, but try to keep up.

But your right, though I'd believe what they say. NOT a Ford fan. There new trucks....well, I'll pass. Most of my co-workers have big issues with them. 2 have had to get replacement engines.

Don't even get me going on Ford "quality."

Another sad note is recently I have come across terrible quality for replacement parts for my Dart Sport. For instance ignition switch I replaced once from NAPA from day one was rough to turn ignition key and lasted just one year! Guess what went back to old box from NAPA made in Taiwan!! Junk! eBay saved the day got a NOS mopar switch. Dad owns a 1976 Ramcharger bought rear axle bearings from again NAPA made in China! Ugh! All I can say sad!😳

I find that both types of vehicle have their place.

I have my Swinger, it's parked at my garage in Florida, and when we go down to stay at the condo, I use it as my second car. It's also my hobby car.

I drive an extraordinary amount of miles each year. Near 40 miles a year. When I do that, I prefer to do it in a new(er) vehicle. Why, 3 reasons, comfort and reliability, with far lower maintenance requirements, not to mention bumper to bumper warranties.

When I'm on vacation, or traveling around the country with my wife, we can travel 6000 - 8000 miles in one trip. That will include various climates, elevations, and conditions. We almost always take such trips in my Crew cab. More room, better visibility. Also, great reliability. That's what electronics brings to road trips.
No distributor, no points or condenser, no rotor, cap, etc. Mobile one oil and the truck's oil change requirements even eliminate the need for an oil change in that distance. Plugs an plug wires will serve for 100,000 miles.

What long distance driving in a new vehicle does for you is it eliminates the need for on the road maintenance.
I've driven from Georgia to Washington State and back again, and the only time I opened the hood of the truck was to check the oil level, and I never added a drop in that round trip, nearly 10,000 miles, in 3 weeks.

Made 3 round trips to Albuquerque, NM, for Georgia. Towed a trailer with a Chevy Silverado on it that I delivered to my son on one trip, and towed a full side Ford van back. No issues.

I've heard all the, so called horror stories about driving computer vehicles, and they are usually exaggerations of a rare incident.
I've also hear all the anecdotal evidence form anti- new car people who tell stories of a friends car that cost a million dollars to fix, and no one could find the cause of the issue. No offense to anyone. but most of those stories are BS. Sure, it happens, but not nearly at the frequency claimed.
The truth of the matter is, electronics have made cars for more reliable, and given them far more trouble free miles than any other advancement in the automotive industry.

We tend to over look the amount of preventive maintenance our A bodies need. Like most of you, I do most of the work on my own cars, except for that which is covered by warranty. No other mechanic has touched my Swinger since I bought it in 1973 with the only exception being the A/C service, the re-covering of the driver's ( actually the whole front) seat, and tire replacement and wheel alignment. I've personally done all of the rest of the service, maintenance, and repair to the car either as needed, or on regular PM cycles.

My truck is a different story. It requires nothing accept an oil change and tire rotation every 10K miles. I do them both myself, still.
I can trouble shut my truck with a lap top computer for the most part, and it tells me everything for, tire pressure, to rear axle lube temp.

I hook up my computer to the truck once a month. I get a complete diagnostic read out, in a few minutes, and as long as I keep up with the data input ( last oil change, last tire rotation, etc.) the read out will also tell me what needs to be done on a timely basis.

I can plug in my lap top, and take a short drive down the road, and if I vary that drive enough, interstate, back roads, urban driving, etc. I can get actual performance read outs both in real time, and in report form, that I can print if I want to.
By doing this once a month, I'm able to keep track of any changes in the truck's performance, any issues with sending units and electronic hardware, even engine wear.

Another thing. I'm a firm believer in oil analysis. My trick get's a oil analysis every third oil change. My old truck and my Dart get them twice a year. My wife's car is still under warranty so I don't worry about it, and it will probably be replace before the warranty runs out, anyway.

The amount of info you can get from oil analysis is unbelievable. Not only can it tell you about over heated oil issues, but if there is any appreciable wear on the reciprocating, and moving parts, but also the bearings. By identifying the materials in the oil sample, it can also pin point which parts are affected. It's cheap insurance.

If you do a lot of long distance driving, far from home, and your personal circle of friends, like I do, you'll learn to appreciate reliability, and convenience of modern electronics.

All that said, none of these new vehicle can ever replace the pleasures of driving my Swinger, either. The last time out on a long trip with the Swinger I put over 9000 miles on it, in 5 weeks. It involved 3 oil changes plus 2 extra quarts of oil, one plug wire replacement ( #3 plug), 2 carb adjustments, one timing adjustment, and a brake adjustment. I was pulling a small pop up camper, too.

I love my 71 Swinger, but, on long trips it's more convenient, and more comfortable, in my truck. It's just better suited for that kind of use, than a classic is.

Ask those buttholes how much of their "American" car is made in North America, VS anywhere else in the world. If they are smart, they will shut up right then.

Only 2 true AMERICAN based automakers left in this country..Ford and Chevy!!!

Only 2 true AMERICAN based automakers left in this country..Ford and Chevy!!!

You, sir, have apparently never opened an ACDelco box and read "MADE IN KOREA" right on the f$&king box flap. I have. They ain't talking about the box, numbnuts.

And it's been going on for decades. Chrysler an Mitsubishi were copulating back in the early 70s. GM was busy doing Opel. FORD???? That would be MAZDA! Mazda Rangers, Mazda Probes, and probably some Mazda electronics on that Failed150.

A lot of the parts on your made in America vehicle were also made here, but by a foreign company. There are many parts manufacturers from Europe, Asia, South America and other places that set up shop here starting back in the 80s.

So don't be surprised to see starters and alt. from Denso, clutches from Sachs or Valeo, fuel injectors from Bosch, shocks and struts from KYB, Tokico, Bilstein, Cofap, and so on. This is only scratching the surface on what's been going on for a while.

Some people just have their head deeply imbedded and refuse to see or believe what's going on.

"My stuff is "proudly FIXED in America by my own two hands."
KURT
I have to say that's truly the American way. When we did for ourselves, We were innovative, self reliant and dam proud of it. Every time one of us Fabricates a part, saves one these cars from the death pile or helps another member....JMO

-
Back