Hydraulic setup to solid setup. OILING HELP!!!

-

71valiant

Make fast, break, repeat.
Reaction score
I've got an LA block with EQ Magnum heads. Im switching from a hydraulic cam to a Mopar 528 solid. The Mopar cam kit lifters don't have the oiling ring like the hydraulic lifters I just removed.... How is the oil going to make it up the pushrods to oil the top end? And I going to have to buy different lifters? Can the Mopar solid lifters be modified? ( I have access to CNC machinery and a good cnc guy). I appreciate all input!!
I've included some pics as well.

Attachments

• 20160401_184452.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 244
  • 20160401_184500.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 228
  • 20160401_184515.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 243
My recollection is AMC lifters, but I don't know if you can get them in solid.

Man that Rusty chap is a gun slinger ! shoots off the answer than is gone !!!

Wish I would have asked sooner. Summit probably won't get them to me till Monday. Oh well. Thanks for the help!!

http://www.compcams.com/Products/CC-'Solid Mechanical Lifters'-0.aspx

look at that chart...look at the seat height on the 801 lifters and the 821 lifters...

ran into this problem once before...

That's what I ran into ! if I had ran the stock LA heads the 821s would of been fine due to the top end oiling as the mag heads on La block will block off the oil supply and only relies on oiling through the lifters ,hollow push rods. I've been using the 801s on mine and have put on around the 15k on the engine with out any issues, gets plenty of oil up there .I'm not sure what rocker gear you are using and make sure your push rods isn't rubbing up against cylinder head as you might need to grind some material, not in all cases you just need to check and one more thing invest in a push rod checker to determined pushrod length !

I'm running crane adjuatable 1.6 rockers. And I've got a pushrod length checker. I'm sure pushrods will be my next purchase. Lol

I'd drill em! one horizontle hole/one vertical hole/clean/chamfer/deburr & you're set. Mockup/preoil & see how it acts EDIT it is a solid piece of metal & I ain't seein what could go wrong if it has the recessed band around it to work with where you would drill the horizontle hole

I'd drill em! one horizontle hole/one vertical hole/clean/chamfer/deburr & you're set. Mockup/preoil & see how it acts EDIT it is a solid piece of metal & I ain't seein what could go wrong if it has the recessed band around it to work with where you would drill the horizontal hole
Interesting solution, RR. Do you place the horizontal oil hole where the oil supply will get cut off part of the time, when the lifter is raised, so that the heads will not get overoiled and the gallery pressures lowered? Or do you place the horizontal hole where it gets oiled all the time? Is there any info you can share on the hole sizes you have used?

-
Back