Johnny @ BluePrint: How To: Mounting an Alternator with an Electric Water Pump SBM

-

Johnny Mac

www.blueprintengines.com
FABO Vendor
Reaction score
Johnny Pace submitted a new Article:

Pace Performance How-to: Mounting an Alternator with an electric water pump SBM

Pace Performance How-to: Mounting an Alternator with an electric water pump SBM

View attachment 1714940557

Hello All,

I had a thread on this a while back, and having found a solution that works for us on our 7,000+ RPM smallblock 408, I wanted to pass along a “How-To". That would help those of you out that wish to run an electric water pump, but don’t necessarily want to abandon your stock style Chrysler alternator. All I ask if you hopefully give me a call at Pace Performance if you need any of these parts ;)

Parts Lists.

Chrysler Square back alternator.

View attachment 1714972315

TUF8509RFSP -Tuff Stuff Small Case 1961-1985 Chrysler Alternator, 100 Amp, OE Wire (Requires External Regulator), Single Groove Pulley, Black Powder Coat Finish

Ours is a tuff stuff, 100 amp, powdercoated version.

Electric, Block Mount Water Pump

View attachment 1714972316

SB 35 GPH Proform unit

68232C - Electric Water Pump - Chrysler Small Block, Chrome Die-Cast Aluminum

Cut to Fit, Alternator Tube Spacer (x2)

View attachment 1714972317

Proform spacer

Alternator Bracket Universal Proform 66179 - Pace Performance Parts

Stock Style Alternator Bracket

View attachment 1714972318

(you’re going to smash it flat in a vice…so we’ll keep it inexpensive)

Alternator Bracket Chrome Trans-Dapt Performance Products 9456 - Pace Performance Parts

OPTIONAL

Moroso Crank Pulley.

This is a big benefit for higher RPM guys. It slows the rotation of the alternator, and prevents belt walking and throwing. And alternator is only effective up to a certain RPM…I’m not positive what it is..but I’m sure It’s less than 7K. With this pulley we still show a nice charge idling through the pits with from our tuff stuff alternator, with the fans, fuel pump, and water pump on.
View attachment 1714972319

Cast Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley Moroso Performance 64700 - Pace Performance Parts

Onto the step by step!

1. Remove your water pump, alternator, bolts, and existing brackets from the engine, so you’re down to the timing cover.

View attachment 1714940559

2. The backing Plate gets installed. Leave the top passenger bolt out, as that’s our new alternator bracket bolt location.

C:\Users\PACE3~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image015.jpg

View attachment 1714940560

3. Water pump gets bolted on next. Again leave that top bolt hole location open, the other three can go in.

4. Onto how to mount the alternator. The pivot point is moved down to the lower head bolt. This is a “measure twice-cut once” part of the install. You’ll have to measure and cut the proform spacers to ensure you have your North/South Alignment. Note in the images below, the lowest point on the head is the new pivot bolt. The alternator is also clocked about 45 degrees to put the adjustment/tension bolt in the right location.

5. Again the pivot bolt is moved to the lower head bolt. You’ll install your spacer, and go ahead and mount the alternator to the head. Be careful, as it is now top heavy, and we haven’t secured the adjustment bracket yet.

View attachment 1714940561

6. We took our curved adjustment bracket, and straightened it out in a vice. You may choose to leave the ear at an angle, but for us, it worked better flat. The bracket is otherwise unmodified.

View attachment 1714940562

7. Before you bolt this on with your spacer, and mount the alternator upward, there’s a good chance that if you have the stock alternator eyelet in place, you’ll need to snip it off, and crimp on a new charging post eyelet. Trust me, it’s easier to do this before the adjustment bracket is mounted to the alternator J

Ours looked somewhat like this…it was far too “fat” to fit between the head and alternator.

View attachment 1714940563

8. Now you can finish mounting the spacer, adjustment arm, and bolt on the top passenger bolt hole on the WP. You can measure for your belt, and you’re off to the races!

9. Finished images, where you can see how it all came together.

Top Down View
View attachment 1714940564

View from the bottom showing lower pivot bolt, and lower spacer.
View attachment 1714940565

Another top view showing lower spacer and location.

View attachment 1714940566

View attachment 1714940567

Alternator clocked position, and stock adjustment bracket re-use.
View attachment 1714940568

New alternator post terminal

View attachment 1714940569

Looks slightly crooked, but the camera is playing tricks. Surprisingly straight in person, and belts staying on through 7000 rpm.

View attachment 1714940570

Note: We did end up using grade 8, hardware store bolts in various lengths. I can provide some ballpark lengths in a PM if needed.

View attachment 1714972304

View attachment 1714972305

View attachment 1714972306

View attachment 1714972307

View attachment 1714972308

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe I have all the images working now. hopefully it helps someone!

Alternator clocked position, and stock adjustment bracket re-use.
View attachment 1714940568

New alternator post terminal

View attachment 1714940569

Looks slightly crooked, but the camera is playing tricks. Surprisingly straight in person, and belts staying on through 7000 rpm.

View attachment 1714940570

Note: We did end up using grade 8, hardware store bolts in various lengths. I can provide some ballpark lengths in a PM if needed.
Could you tell me what belt you used?

She was just an oldie hanging on the peg board. but yes i will look for a PN and/or measurement next time i'm out in the garage! if you need it fairly urgently (before this weekend) send me a PM and i'll stop out on my way home.

Great write up! I added your article to the temporary How To section, and should become part of the permanent How To, once Joey has it finished.

Awesome :) thank you! It was one of those things where we removed the mechanical water pump...held the electric one up there and though...HMM.lol

She was just an oldie hanging on the peg board. but yes i will look for a PN and/or measurement next time i'm out in the garage! if you need it fairly urgently (before this weekend) send me a PM and i'll stop out on my way home.
No rush at all. Did you use the triangle bracket or just the adjustment bar? And if not do you think this mod is good for a street truck? I have a twin turbo small block in my truck and space is at a premium.
2015-09-17 19.17.01.jpg

No rush at all. Did you use the triangle bracket or just the adjustment bar? And if not do you think this mod is good for a street truck? I have a twin turbo small block in my truck and space is at a premium. View attachment 1714940657
Looks like a badass project!. I didnt use the triangle bracket. Didnt see a way to utilize it. I will say that this way is deff tighter to the block. Its still plenty sturdy. I will say if u plan on winding it up. The moroso pulley is a big help.

image.jpeg
Looks like a badass project!. I didnt use the triangle bracket. Didnt see a way to utilize it. I will say that this way is deff tighter to the block. Its still plenty sturdy. I will say if u plan on winding it up. The moroso pulley is a big help.
I'm running a crank trigger so I needed a much shallower pulley. This picture isn't great but you can see I have alt in near stock location but belt is very close to water pump. I'm gonna try your set up this weekend to see if it gives more room.

Yours may actually end up tighter to the block than mine, so thats a good thing. it looks like the "ears" on the MEZ pump are thinner. looking at your first pic...you have that thing mounted pretty high. by loweing the swing point, and rotating it like i did, you'll probably lower it at least 4-5 inches.

Yours may actually end up tighter to the block than mine, so thats a good thing. it looks like the "ears" on the MEZ pump are thinner. looking at your first pic...you have that thing mounted pretty high. by loweing the swing point, and rotating it like i did, you'll probably lower it at least 4-5 inches.
I am definitely going to try it this weekend so I will let you know how it works. I have all the parts i need to do this swap but i will look to you in the future for other parts.

Sounds like a plan! looking forward to it.

Very nice! Thanks for posting, if ya don't mind, do you know what upper hose you are using on the radiator?

Very nice! Thanks for posting, if ya don't mind, do you know what upper hose you are using on the radiator?

Unfortunately I have no idea. I think it was just another one from the "parts bin" back in the day. I'll see if there is a PN on it when i measure the belt for the other gentleman.

How many wires per loop in each pole of that alternator?
Looks like maybe 10.
I might be interested if it's actually 12.

How many wires per loop in each pole of that alternator?
Looks like maybe 10.
I might be interested if it's actually 12.
I called my guy at Tuff Stuff. I'll have an answer shortly

I have been slammed sorry, I'll be over there tomorrow, and i'll grab it for sure!

I ran these numbers, and i can't come up with them meaning much of anything. don't see an actual PN. I vaguely remember someone saying "ford truck" when i grabbed it out of the pile. it appears to be this dayco hose, that i then cut to fit.

Belt didnt have a pn. I measured 36 inches. But I have a small lower pulley. That would be my starting point. Hope this helps
20160618_103436.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back