Magnum oil filter block plate - source?

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
Mancini Racing just told me that these things were out of production and no longer available...and honestly, the price seemed a bit ridiculous anyway.

Can anyone share a source for these?

mancini-racing-engine-oil-filter-block-plate-49.png

Canton used to make a nice aluminum replacement that was better than factory under part number 22-575M but I undserstand it is no longer made. Do not try using the currently available 22-575 without the "M" because it is different for an LA style engine.

That pretty much leaves you with finding a used one from a wrecking yard or having someone send you one.

I am pretty sure a couple years ago @Johnny Mac had a thread about "what would you buy if we made it" but I cannot find it now. This may be a part Blueprint will need, or could offer as an upgrade. I definitely would buy a couple of the aluminum versions if they were still available.

The same oil filters that work on an LA will work on a magnum. So what's the difference in this plate between the 2 engines?

I would contact Canton and find out exactly what they offer.

Factory Magnum plate is different from LA. They should not be interchangeable. The Magnum block is machined to a different depth. I forget which way it is, but one plate on the wrong block will not compress the gasket and will leak.

I do not have either version of the Canton aluminum plate to try, and have never had one. So I guess I will double check the LA fit on a Magnum after I get one, but I have no idea when that will be. I need other parts first.

Factory Magnum plate is different from LA. They should not be interchangeable. The Magnum block is machined to a different depth. I forget which way it is, but one plate on the wrong block will not compress the gasket and will leak.

I do not have either version of the Canton aluminum plate to try, and have never had one. So I guess I will double check the LA fit on a Magnum after I get one, but I have no idea when that will be. I need other parts first.

Bobzilla is correct. I have found that even on the LA roller cam blocks, the oil filter mount is machined to a different depth.

@MRGTX, I have a block plate that I think might work for you. PM me your address and I’ll send it your way.

There was an earlier thread where a guy used an LA plate on his new Magnum and it totally wasted the bearings. This was about the same time that I was putting a Magnum in my Dart but I'm using the 90* adapter which is not a problem.

I used a LA plate with no issues. I believe the plate I used was off a 74 318.

Here is a Magnum plate, with the large round gasket stuck to it, placed onto an early LA block.

First picture the plate is bottomed out on the center mount boss of the block but the gasket is around 1/8” or so away from the gasket surface of the block.

Second picture shows I am able to push in one side of the gasket area of the plate and cause it to tilt away on the other side. This would not happen if the plate was sitting flat on the gasket area as it should.

If any plate on any block touches the center boss before the gasket surface it will leak.
IMG_5988.jpeg

IMG_5989.jpeg

Thanks to all for the input!
I was able to obtain one…I installed it carefully with no difficulty, fired up the engine, saw no oil pressure issues, backed out of the garage, drove a few hundred feet down the road and noticed that I was leaving a STREAM of oil behind!!!

Obviously, I headed straight back and shut it down.

Because the engine is in the car, it’s possible that I missed that this plate was making contact with center boss before the gasket but it seemed secure and I didn’t detect any wobble…I don’t think that’s it.

There are some slight “waves” on the surface of the plate that mates with the oil filter gasket but they seem to be insignificant and I would guess the gasket should be able to compensate for those…but maybe not?

Any suggestions on what to check?

E15E07BC-17CF-4554-8FD1-8D0F52DAB3FC.jpeg

Thanks to all for the input!
I was able to obtain one…I installed it carefully with no difficulty, fired up the engine, saw no oil pressure issues, backed out of the garage, drove a few hundred feet down the road and noticed that I was leaving a STREAM of oil behind!!!

Obviously, I headed straight back and shut it down.

Because the engine is in the car, it’s possible that I missed that this plate was making contact with center boss before the gasket but it seemed secure and I didn’t detect any wobble…I don’t think that’s it.

There are some slight “waves” on the surface of the plate that mates with the oil filter gasket but they seem to be insignificant and I would guess the gasket should be able to compensate for those…but maybe not?

Any suggestions on what to check?

View attachment 1716101049
What is the casting number and casting date of your engine block?

I've had issues getting that gasket off, it gets baked and seems part of the casting, is it possible that you didn't get it all off? Even after a hot tank sensitive had remnants left that I had to fight with in getting the old one ALL off.

What is the casting number and casting date of your engine block?
I can’t quite see the casting info with the headers on. I wish I took a picture before I put it in the car. If necessary, I’ll unbolt the driver’s side and take a look.

I do know that the block is a Magnum 5.9.

I picked up some permatex black gasket sealer, coated the gasket and gave it another go. It’s still absolutely pissing oil.

I noticed that the plate may be damaged…not only is the mating surface a bit wavy, it appears to be lopsided. Does this look wrong?

82CDDBD4-773C-48F5-BA8C-6B179C0B06F3.jpeg

I've had issues getting that gasket off, it gets baked and seems part of the casting, is it possible that you didn't get it all off? Even after a hot tank sensitive had remnants left that I had to fight with in getting the old one ALL off.

This is a good call. The mating surface looked clean from what I could see from beneath/behind the front wheel with a spot light.

I picked up some permatex black gasket sealer, coated the gasket and gave it another go. It’s still absolutely pissing oil.

I noticed that the plate may be damaged…not only is the mating surface a bit wavy, it appears to be lopsided. Does this look wrong?

View attachment 1716101317
If the center section that the bolt/filter adapter goes thru is still straight and parallel with the outer edge, that bent place is probably where it is leaking. The seal on the filter may touch that place, but since it is still square everywhere else, it doesn't exert enough down pressure to seal at that point.

What is that plate for? I have the 90 degree adapter, but I've never heard of this plate thing. Someone just give me the basics of what it's for...i.e. why can't one just put an oil filter onto the magnum or LA block, why the plate?

What is that plate for? I have the 90 degree adapter, but I've never heard of this plate thing. Someone just give me the basics of what it's for...i.e. why can't one just put an oil filter onto the magnum or LA block, why the plate?
The blocks were never machined from the factory to accept a filter directly. Oil passages are drilled there and then the plate set up OR one of the angle setups are bolted on to accept and locate the filter while at the same time properly covering the oil passages.

Edit to specify or clarify: the plate is for mounting the filter straight from the block instead of angled.

Last edited:
-
Back