Making switch tabs

-

fireguyfire

Reaction score
I have been chatting in the parts wanted forum with some members who suggested I move the discussion here in the electrical forum.
I’ve removed the dash and gauges from my 67 barracuda for a refresh and a cleaning. I doubt anything has been removed since the factory as I bought this car from the original owner and it is unrestored.
While unplugging the dash harness from the wiper switch, 4 or so of the switch tabs broke off and stayed I. The wiring harness plug.
I e tested the wiper switch itself with a meter and it seems to work fine, other than these missing tabs.
I was thinking that it could just drill the rivet enough to remove the base of the broken tabs, and then make new tabs from brass and solder the new tab in place back onto the end of the old rivet head.
Has anyone here made tabs to replace broken or missing ones from the back of a switch, and if so what method/techniques did you use?

IMG_4417.jpeg

IMG_4414.jpeg

IMHO

Find another switch.

If you have a rivet press, the correct copper rivets, you can cut some copper pieces and rivet them in place.

I’m a 30 year electrician if that makes a hill of beans.
But I would clean the remaining tabs and make up new ones made exactly like the originals and solder them on top. I would not recommend you to drill the rivets because you will lose the clamping force on the connection.
IMG_2542.png

There are people who have rebuilt electrical switches. I am not one of them.
Someone may remember the thread and can find contact info.

Otherwise, figure out which switch it is and look for a replacement.
i think we identified 4 wiper motors used on '67 but not sure how many different switches.
Variable, 2 speed, 3 speed ?

edit

Last edited:
I have been chatting in the parts wanted forum with some members who suggested I move the discussion here in the electrical forum.
I’ve removed the dash and gauges from my 67 barracuda for a refresh and a cleaning. I doubt anything has been removed since the factory as I bought this car from the original owner and it is unrestored.
While unplugging the dash harness from the wiper switch, 4 or so of the switch tabs broke off and stayed I. The wiring harness plug.
I e tested the wiper switch itself with a meter and it seems to work fine, other than these missing tabs.
I was thinking that it could just drill the rivet enough to remove the base of the broken tabs, and then make new tabs from brass and solder the new tab in place back onto the end of the old rivet head.
Has anyone here made tabs to replace broken or missing ones from the back of a switch, and if so what method/techniques did you use?

View attachment 1716225010

View attachment 1716225011

I think if I was intent on not buying a new switch I would solder wire to what’s left of the terminals and ditch the connector all together.

I would definitely buy a replacement switch if I can find one which is why this convo started in the parts wanted forum but I thought it might be worth exploring the possibility of fixing the one I have if I can’t find a replacement

Typically the rivets on the top holding the terminal in place are the contact inside the switch. I would be VERY cautious about soldering as the plastic will melt from the heat.

1711125321102.png

1711125568269.png

Google Automotive Switch repair there are several companies that do that.
Instrument Specialties might be a good place to start

I successfully disassembled my wiper switch from my Dart #2. I cleaned the internals but the part for the push button for the power water squirt button was partially broken and if depressed would make a short to ground.

Also the internals are geared in a interesting way, so if you decide to try taking yours apart GO SLOW take a lot of photos maybe even a video.

I did not follow my own advice and these are the only photos I took :eek:

1711123154376.png

1711123182778.png

1711123221960.png

1711123254124.png

Which wiper motor and switch on Dart#2?

Don't know
It has a wiper motor that is parallel to the firewall but larger in diameter than the parallel motor in Dart #1 which is a friction stop 2 speed.

Dart #1 (2 speed friction stop)
1711146622268.png

Dart #2 (UNKNOWN)
1711146586579.png

Last edited:
Dart #1 (2 speed friction stop)
Same as mine 67 barracuda with two speed switch. 2822 963
Mattmopar2000 says it was made by Leece Neville
I beleive it was also used in 66 and maybe 67 B-bodies

Dart 2 has the same as Cuda_Al shows in his restored car. 2822 962 Also came with a two speed switch. Some confusion about whether it also could come with a three speed switch but so far we think its two speed only.

Pictures and part numbers for all four '67 wiper motors in this thread.
Wiper Motor Wires
Feel free to add more info to it.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I found the Wiper switch from Dart #2

I'll make a Demystified post in a bit.

Found this in the 67 parts book

1711652104003.png

1711652085365.png

Looks like for the A bodies there was only a 2 speed and a variable speed wiper switch resulting in 2 wiper motors?

And the same switch would be installed in a car with manual washer or electric washers

As for motors:

1711655015640.png

67 Dart #1
2/67 build date, 2 speed wipers

This is the switch 2820 525

1711655103486.png

wiper motor 2822 963
1711655488376.png

67 Dart #2
11/66 build date, 2 speed wiper

Switch 2820 525
1711655560439.png

Motor 2822 962
1711656548600.png

More interesting info...
1711656625500.png

Looks like the everyone says that the 2822 963 and 2822 962 motors are variable which makes sense sort of. The resister on the switch lowers the voltage and the motor runs slower. With a variable speed switch there would be variable resistance IN the switch so the motor would run at the speed the resistance allows.

Now why there is a separate part number for the variable motor vs. the 2 speed I don't know!

http://musclecardata.com/wp-content...er-Motor-Part-Numbers-and-Casting-Numbers.pdf

-
Back