Wiper Motor Wires

-

Xtreamist

Reaction score
I have a dilemma here folks. I have searched the forums with not much luck. I have all the wiring schematics for the 67 Barracuda and the wiring is not matching up with what I see on my car.

There are four wires coming out of the wiper motor but two (it looks like the brown and dark green, circled in the photo) are spliced together so only three go to the firewall. Inside the car there are four wires from the switch to the motor though. The believe the extra wire is the dark green one at D on the connector. These 50+ year old wires are sometimes difficult to tell what colors they are! I realize there are more than just four wires coming off the wiper switch. I know what the others are for. I'm just concerned about the four for the motor.

The wiper switch...............It has two distinct clicks but then rotates quite a bit more after the second click, almost another 90 degrees. There s a 2771378 stamped on the side. I believe this is a variable wiper switch?

Wiper Motor.jpg

This probably won't help, but I was just looking at wiring on my 67 Barracuda too, trying to determine what I need to do to put reverse light wiring back in my car. The reverse light wiring is supposed to go through the same section of bulkhead connector (closest to the fender of the three sections) that the wiper motor wiring goes through.

I noticed that the only wires connected to that section of bulkhead connector on mine were three wires from the wiper motor, and they were not using the original connector. They were individual wires with a little heat shrink on each wire. Mine is a standard 2 speed wiper and has the standard 2spd switch, not what yours sounds like being the variable.

Attaching a picture of my 2spd wiper motor...

0321181601.jpg

I'm not much help on the 67 variable wiper wiring, but can help a little on the 2 speed.

The reverse light wiring depends on shifter and transmission originally used. Automatics had a switch in the shifter. Column selector never had wire going through the bulkhead connector.

Your Two speed Wiper motor looks like mine except its sprayed black. I think it was used in '66 as well as '67.
upload_2019-1-3_13-38-59.png

Part number is here. last 4 digits are probably date code.
upload_2019-1-3_13-40-52.png

Only three wires to the switch. I'll see if I have a drawing but they go to the same connector as shown in the diagram for the variable speed wiper.

Thanks Mattax. My comment was mainly to let the original poster know that mine had three wires going to the bulkhead connector too, and that the wiring diagrams only show three wires for the wiper motor at the bulkhead connector. Don't know if 2 of the 4 wires are spliced together on mine since they are covered.

As for the reverse, I have a wiring diagram and it shows hot going to the bulkhead connector from inside, violet wire out to manual trans reverse switch, violet wire back to bulkhead connector, then violet wires back through another connector to the reverse lights. Diagram shows different hot wire locations for column auto, console auto, or manual trans.

I just need to find how to get the hot lead to the bulkhead connector (it's not there) then get a wiring harness to go to the trans from Brewers, and find the violet wire that is supposed to run back to the reverse lights.

Sorry,... Didn't mean to misdirect the original poster's question.

Here is my wiper motor (restored), I do not believe there are any splices in the wires.
Per the wiring diagram on page 8-121 in the Factory Service Manual
V3 - Brown - Bulkhead-A
V4 - Red - Bulkhead-C
V5 - Green - Bulkhead-D
V6 - Blue - Bulkhead-B

2018-07-19_009.jpg

Alan

Wiring diagram from the 67 Plymouth Factory Service Manual.
Wipers.jpg

Edit: looks like I highlighted the red and brown wires wrong, you get the picture.

Alan

Last edited:
I just found this picture of my car, only 3 wires to the plug, no green wire, two browns at motor, one at connector.

This implies there is a splice.

Image1.jpg

Alan

Last edited:
I just found this picture of my car, only 3 wires to the plug, no green wire, two browns at motor, one at connector.

This implies there is a splice.

View attachment 1715270365

Alan

Where does the green wire from the wiper switch go then? Unless I'm seeing things wrong on the schematic there is one that is supposed to go to D then to the wiper motor.

Thanks

If your motor is like mine it doesn't appear to use the green wire.
Keep in mind the pictures posted by others are of a different style motor and may be wired differently.

Alan

Thanks Al. Not sure if is supposed to go anywhere, maybe just kill the wire? I'll leave it for now, something may not work right once I get the instrument panel back in and everything else hooked back up.

Anyone one else have any ideas?

Keep in mind the dash harness was setup for the different motors and switches.
The wiper harness should be its own and not connected to any other wires.
I cannot tell from your picture but I'm sure the two brown wires on the motor are the ones spliced together.

Did it work before?

Alan

That number is the variable 3 speed switch. My guess is someone installed a 2 speed motor. My original variable 3 speed motor, companion to this switch, has single strand resistor wires into it, wrapped in asbestos or fiberglass, a woven casing rather than the typical vinyl. A total of 5 wires coming out the little hole in motor. Two of them are joined together/soldered onto one side of park switch. Thus a total of 4 routed to the bulkhead connector. My best guess, someone did what was necessary to make this mismatch motor switch combination work. Your motor has only 2 wires, park switch uses spade terminals, so they cut and spliced the wires.

IF the wiring diagram for Barracuda's is correct, one of the brown wires at the connector should be heavier gage.
We can be pretty sure the wires into the motor housing are power.
And the wires to the gear housing cover relate to a contact on the gear or cam inside. The purpose of the contact is for the wipers to complete the cycle and shutoff in the down position. The details of how that works on the variable speed motor I don't know.

When you turn off the switch it turns ON a different switch (inside the switch), this is the park. It keeps power to the wiper motor assembly (probably the blue wire). This goes to the gear part of the housing not the motor, once the mechanism gets to the proper set point it opens the connection (in the motor assembly) breaking the circuit parking the wiper arms.

Alan

It's mine that is the white plate, 2 speed motor. 2822 963
That's correct for '67. It is wrongly listed here as a variable speed: Wiper Motor Interchange List with part numbers/years/body styles...
Last I looked into it there was no way to make it work with the '67 variable speed switch.

AFAIK, both Al's and Xtremists are correct and original '67 variable speed motor with matching switch.
No?

When you turn off the switch it turns ON a different switch (inside the switch), this is the park. It keeps power to the wiper motor assembly (probably the blue wire). This goes to the gear part of the housing not the motor, once the mechanism gets to the proper set point it opens the connection (in the motor assembly) breaking the circuit parking the wiper arms.

Alan
That makes sense.

Keep in mind the dash harness was setup for the different motors and switches.
The wiper harness should be its own and not connected to any other wires.
I cannot tell from your picture but I'm sure the two brown wires on the motor are the ones spliced together.

Did it work before?

Alan

The engineers at Chrysler were thinking ahead and multi-tasking! It did work before. They were actually on last time I tried to start the car, lol.......The harness is on its own connector, well along with the backup light wires at F an H, no AC in my car at G and E.

The engineers at Chrysler were thinking ahead and multi-tasking! It did work before. They were actually on last time I tried to start the car, lol.......The harness is on its own connector, well along with the backup light wires at F an H, no AC in my car at G and E.
I have a console and no AC so this connector is just the wipers on mine.

Alan

I have a console and no AC so this connector is just the wipers on mine.

Alan

After tearing into my car I'm thinking is was a console car too. I know it had the 273 in it but unsure of the tranny. I'll have to run the VIN again.

It's mine that is the white plate, 2 speed motor. 2822 963
That's correct for '67. It is wrongly listed here as a variable speed: Wiper Motor Interchange List with part numbers/years/body styles...
Last I looked into it there was no way to make it work with the '67 variable speed switch.

AFAIK, both Al's and Xtremists are correct and original '67 variable speed motor with matching switch.
No?
I have a 2-speed switch on mine, came that way from the factory, with that motor.

This is a 67 Valiant that I had, the other style motor with a 2 speed switch.
2004-10-02_06.jpg

Alan

Heres pics of my 67 variable. I remember the same thing, wondering about a "splice". I think the "extra" wire goes into motor and doesnt come out?

20170919_180323.jpg

-
Back