Need a good honest shop for my Dart

-

Redhelmet

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I am in need of good advice/info on a body/repair shop.

I have a 273 Dodge Dart gt 1967.. unfortunately I was cut off by someone and got into an accident. The front end of my car took the damage. Right fender, bumper, hood, grille etc. There doesn’t appear to be any frame damage, if there is I assume minimal. The lady admitted fault in writing as well.

Anyways I just need recommendations for a good honest fair priced shop. I am in the Bakersfield CA area. And am hoping to find a good shop for my car within 150 miles, Socal etc. Have just been having a hard time finding a good one.

Insurance had offered 19k so far to total the car but used worse off cars as a comparison so I feel I can get more. If anyone has opinions on totaling the car etc let me know. I would feel terrible salvaging it as it was an original owner car plus more expensive insurance etc afterwards.

Expensive shop in Ventura had said 22-30k as an estimate which seems insane to me. With a paint job though I believe.

All help or info is appreciated thank you guys.

To paint a car is expensive, paint and bodywork supplies are through the roof. All body panels that require body work need to be repainted. They don’t do touch ups anymore cause all automotive paints are water based and original paint is not.

Assuming the core support is not damaged the hood, fender, etc are all bolt on.

You might be able to find a donor car for a few thousand with good parts.

Assuming the core support is not damaged the hood, fender, etc are all bolt on.

You might be able to find a donor car for a few thousand with good parts.
Exactly. If I took the payout I would definitely do this. However I worry about salvaging the title and higher insurance costs etc afterwards. Probably wouldn’t be worth to daily drive it anymore.

Exactly. If I took the payout I would definitely do this. However I worry about salvaging the title and higher insurance costs etc afterwards. Probably wouldn’t be worth to daily drive it anymore.
Refuse a salvage title from the insurance, dont let them have your original title.

Insurance had offered 19k so far to total the car but used worse off cars as a comparison so I feel I can get more. If anyone has opinions on totaling the car etc let me know. I would feel terrible salvaging it as it was an original owner car plus more expensive insurance etc afterwards.

Expensive shop in Ventura had said 22-30k as an estimate which seems insane to me. With a paint job though I believe.
I would pay a lawyer to look things over. you had a piece of property that was in a particular shape. You want your property returned to that same shape. The cost to do that is your damages. The insurance company of the person who cut you off can not dictate that you have your car repaired at a particular shop or be totaled. A half way decent lawyer can get you all that you need to have it properly repaired to the condition it was in before the accident. INS companies are there to pay the least they can and don't want you to get a lawyer. At least get a consultation

Lmfao is that even possible? especially in California
absolutely. you don't have to accept any judgement from them that doesn't meet your satisfaction. granted, you'll need to get a lawyer to do that. but, yeah. it's doable.

unless the car is obviously totaled out, do not let them have it or the title.

i hope that it's in your possession and not at their tow yard.

*IANAL and this is predicated on the car being returned to the state that it was prior to the accident, naturally they're not going to cut a check restore it or put a full custom paint job on the whole thing.

Lmfao yea all the auto body shops etc I’ve talked to all seem sketchy. Just trying to be cautious and find a good one.
Some pics would help. I deal with automobile insurance companies all of the time. Some seem unfair upfront but with the right attitude and willingness to go through their hoops, I and my customers are never not indemnified.

Some pics would help. I deal with automobile insurance companies all of the time. Some seem unfair upfront but with the right attitude and willingness to go through their hoops, I and my customers are never not indemnified.
Here’s one after the accident.

8D79B9A2-27CB-4EA1-92DC-414FB975153D.jpeg

Here’s one after the accident.

View attachment 1716231226
Bummer brother. Probably some Uni-Body damage there. I can understand main stream body shops acting sketchy. They just do not want to deal with the lack of main stream parts availability. You come up with the parts and take control of the situation, things may change.

If it were my car, I would pull the fender, bumper and grill to see how extensive the damage is to the inner fender and the front frame horn. Take plenty of pictures of the damage and take them to the repair shops to see if you can get an idea of how much money to start with. See if anyone close to you has pieces to replace your damaged pieces and go from there.

That damage looks a lot like what my dad did the my dart.

Front bumper, bumper bracket, front fender, grill, head light bezel, I don't see the hood damage.

As noted above

Start removing the damaged parts. Bag, tag and photograph everything, maybe even setup a video camera.

A helper is indespensable for the camera work.

My bet is it is not as bad as it looks. There is a lot of distance between the bumper and the frame / core support

Front bumper, bumper bracket, front fender, grill, head light bezel, I don't see the hood damage.

As noted above

Start removing the damaged parts. Bag, tag and photograph everything, maybe even setup a video camera.

My bet is it is not as bad as it looks. There is a lot of distance between the bumper and the frame / core support
I agree, looks like most of the damage will be to the lower core support, inner fender.

If you was not in California you could get that fixed fairly reasonable its not that bad

Hey everyone! I am in need of good advice/info on a body/repair shop.

I have a 273 Dodge Dart gt 1967.. unfortunately I was cut off by someone and got into an accident. The front end of my car took the damage. Right fender, bumper, hood, grille etc. There doesn’t appear to be any frame damage, if there is I assume minimal. The lady admitted fault in writing as well.

Anyways I just need recommendations for a good honest fair priced shop. I am in the Bakersfield CA area. And am hoping to find a good shop for my car within 150 miles, Socal etc. Have just been having a hard time finding a good one.

All help or info is appreciated thank you guys.
Shop's name in Ventura ? My old stomping grounds and have buddies that can give me their input. I've got a connection in Kingsburg that might know of Shop's in Fresno area.

Shop's name in Ventura ? My old stomping grounds and have buddies that can give me their input. I've got a connection in Kingsburg that might know of Shop's in Fresno area.
It was Saticoy auto body I believe. Just got back from vacation. That place didn’t make us feel too good so the car is now back at home in Bakersfield. So yea any shop recommendations would be great. Thank you

As noted above

Thanks for the reply. I’ve never dealt with a situation like this etc as it’s my first car. Does buying replacement parts/tearing down the car on your own affect or cause issues with insurance companies and estimates etc?

I’ve never dealt with a situation like this etc as it’s my first car. Does buying replacement parts/tearing down the car on your own affect or cause issues with insurance companies and estimates etc
You should talk with the ins agent before doing anything.

And remember the ins co is going to try to pay you the least they can get you to agree to.

Unless things have changed in CA I the last 18 years.

If the damage was not your fault you go to whatever repair shop you want to and get 1 estimate. You can get more estimates but the other insurance co can not make you go to a particular shop or not accept your estimate.

Then they cut you a check.

You can have a shop do the work, keep the cash and sell the car, do the work yourself?

What ever you do do not let them "scrap" the car and do not give them the title

I assume you do not have an agreed value insurance policy.
It is the responsibility of HER insurance company to put your car back to the way it was. All insurance companies are required to file with the State Insurance Commission. The insurance commission has rules on what the insurance companies can do. If your state allows the company to use their own book for car values, that is what they are allowed to offer. That is what happened to me here in Kansas. I had a 98 Dodge Dakota that I loved. It was an extended cab 4 cyl 5 speed; exactly what I was looking for. When I bought it, the paint was pretty faded. I did a stunning black paint job on it and powder coated the wheels. A lady hit the side, and her insurance company SCREWED me. They have their own secret book they use for values, and that value was far less than the NADA value. I went to the Kansas State Insurance Commission, and they said it was legal. The State allowed them to use their own book. I talked to a lawyer, and he agreed. A lawyer could probably get me more, but not enough more to offset legal fees. That is a BS way to do things. Good Luck.

IMG_0139.JPG

-
Back