Next step above edelbrock heads

-

Reaction score
I know the w2 heads are awesome but I would really like to stick with aluminum. This is for a street/ strip car. More street and highway cruising than anything.

Indy aluminum heads would be a good choice. There still produced! You couldnlurchase them from someone like Brian of IMM or Jim (IQ52) or send them out for work.

W5 (Out of production but still float around.)

Brodix B1- A-MC Brodix sells ported versions. There's some hidden work to them though.

W9 (Still produced? IDK what MoPar has anymore.)

Brian at IMM,does sweet head porting, so does,IQ52. Considering where your location is at,Ramm,is,pretty damn good himself. Screws doesn't post much here anymore ,he rocks. What location, in general?

More street and highway cruising than anything.

My slightly touched up Eddies put out 497/519. How fast are you wanting to go on the street? You could always go with the new Edelbrock Victor heads?

Edelbrock Victor Series Race Cylinder Heads 61739

upload_2017-10-1_6-30-15.jpeg

My ported eddies went 505/526 with a mild hyd roller -230/243 duration at .050.

Need to consider cam choice as well.

Ok, I have a 408 with eddies. Cam is something like 250/240 with 550 lift. Put my 3800 lb car 12.1 in the 1/4. I would like to see my car in the 11.6 ish with The same or preferably better street manners is currently has.

the engine builder I'm dealing with is really trying to talk me into w2s. I know they kick *** even with a mild cam but I just can't stand the thought of adding another 50 lbs to an already 3800lb car ( with me in it ).

I've been eyeballing the Indy 360-2 head. But what about camandos or sidewinders, are they worth looking at ?

There's been a bit of work done. Flow 267 @ 600.

Ok, I have a 408 with eddies. Cam is something like 250/240 with 550 lift. Put my 3800 lb car 12.1 in the 1/4. I would like to see my car in the 11.6 ish with The same or preferably better street manners is currently has.

the engine builder I'm dealing with is really trying to talk me into w2s. I know they kick *** even with a mild cam but I just can't stand the thought of adding another 50 lbs to an already 3800lb car ( with me in it ).

I've been eyeballing the Indy 360-2 head. But what about camandos or sidewinders, are they worth looking at ?

What car, converter and gear?

My 340 with ported Edelbrocks went 11.66 @ 116 in the 1/4 and 7.52 @ 94 in the 1/8 on pump 93. It had a Hughes hydraulic cam, 236/242 @ .050", 11.4-1 compression, 727, 4.30 gears and weighed 3240 with me in it.

What car, converter and gear?

My 340 with ported Edelbrocks went 11.66 @ 116 in the 1/4 and 7.52 @ 94 in the 1/8 on pump 93. It had a Hughes hydraulic cam, 236/242 @ .050", 11.4-1 compression, 727, 4.30 gears and weighed 3240 with me in it.

That's almost a 600 lbs difference between your car and his. If he got his down to 3240 he would likely be running an 11.6.

@justinp61, there is a 600 or so pound difference between your car and his B body.
It does look like a fun combo though!

Well, not knowing your port work or knowing who flowed it on what bench, etc... it appears to have a lot of room to be ported further by approximately 30 cfm.
Where are you located?
----------------FULL CNC porting !!!
By whom?

That's almost a 600 lbs difference between your car and his. If he got his down to 3240 he would likely be running an 11.6.

I understand. The point I was making is that the heads he has with some work will get him there. The 4" arm makes a huge difference in torque.

@justinp61, there is a 600 or so pound difference between your car and his B body.
It does look like a fun combo though!

Well, not knowing your port work or knowing who flowed it on what bench, etc... it appears to have a lot of room to be ported further by approximately 30 cfm.
Where are you located?

Canada

My ported eddies went 505/526 with a mild hyd roller -230/243 duration at .050.

Need to consider cam choice as well.
So you happen to have your heads flow numbers?

11.2;
What trans, stall, gear ratio & tire size are you running? Uummm, near RAM?
Perhaps more port work is needed.

518, 2800 stall, 3.91 rear, 26" tire
I've been talking to ramm, waiting on his latest results on eddies.

I myself would increase cam, stall and tire to 27".

I myself would increase cam, stall and tire to 27".

yeah, I know that would be the easiest way to go faster but with the highway miles I put on I want to stay with the stall I have, as far as cam, i don't want to go with anything that would have worse street manners, this one is ok. So that is why I'm thinking about a better head.

Am I wrong to say that a better head will create more power with a comparible cam ?

No not at all.
It's a shame you don't have the cam specs. From here, the fullest porting of head is all I can really see with exception of going to anroller cam, 1.6 rockers.

12.1 - 11.6 is a considerable drop in ET. We still don't have the whole engine combo.

What ...
Carb
Intake
Cam --- important!
Headers
904 or 727

Ah, no prob

Ez efi, and now Fitech ( not enough vacuum to run ez efi )
Edelbrock rpm
Lunati voodoo, hydraulic roller. 252/243 @ 50, 560 lift, 110 lsa
Tti step headers. 1-5/8" to 1-3/4. 3" collector
518 od

Car has 2.5" exhaust. Considering 3" but very reluctant to do so. Maybe I'm waisting time with heads until I'm willing to go to 3" ?

WOW! Ummm, I'm at a loss here.
I'm not sure what to say.

The build is a really nice one. Though, the cam is 252 or 243 on the intake. I think 243? No?

At 408 cubes, a 3 inch exhaust wouldn't hurt but I don't know how much of a gain you would get. IMO, this is a tuffy to figure out without stepping up in duration as so you can keep the converter. I know that's an expensive to have it opened up and restalled.

I can only say what, *I think* I would do. But I can't say I have done it or this would do it.

More gear, (4.30) taller tire, (28") full head porting, 1.6 rockers, solid roller, mega lift. (?- [email protected]/.600 lift ?)

What can you do about the cars weight?
NO2 out of the question?

I have been leaning towards car weight, and that may be a better direction. Power doesn't help you stop.. lol.
Another reason I went from ez efi to Fitech is for the power adder feature. I am definitely going to get some more port work, 1.6 rockers and go from there. I talked with my engine guy yesterday and came up with a plan. Thanks

A very little bit of work.

I could bolt my ported j's on your 408 and you go into the low 11's easy.

Those need more work, if they aren't ruined by that little bit of work you already had done.
It also loose the hyd roller for a solid roller with 108 Lsa and .590-.620 lift and [email protected]

Last edited:
-
Back