One tool every gearhead should have and why

-

harrisonm

Reaction score
This might be a fun and informative thread. Please name ONE tool you think every gearhead should own, and why. I'll start with a digital thermometer. I paid about $90 for mine when they were fairly new, but they are down to about $20 now. I have had mine for several years. It comes in very handy when you want to tell if a thermostat is working. Aim the thermometer at the thermostat housing. When the thermostat opens, the temp will jump. For example, if you have a 180 degree thermostat, the temp may jump from 130 to 180. That way you know your thermostat is working as it should you can also easily tell if a cylinder isn't firing right. If the header tubes near the flange on 7 cylinders is 350 - 400 degrees and the 8th is only 200, there is a cylinder that isn't firing right. Plus, it's fun to use on a summer day to see just how hot the pavement really is.

A good tap and die set to go with the above torque wrench...

Get a good English SAE tap and die set that goes up to 1/2" and chase every thread on the engine and nuts and bolts before you assemble them... It will clean the threads and provide more accurate torque, not to mention that the parts will go together much easier without the threads binding... You may be able to run most of them down by hand before tightening.... (I know - right???)

I like Irwin/Hanson....

I will NEVER USE CRAFTSMAN TAPS AND DIES AGAIN....

This might be a fun and informative thread. Please name ONE tool you think every gearhead should own, and why. I'll start with a digital thermometer. I paid about $90 for mine when they were fairly new, but they are down to about $20 now. I have had mine for several years. It comes in very handy when you want to tell if a thermostat is working. Aim the thermometer at the thermostat housing. When the thermostat opens, the temp will jump. For example, if you have a 180 degree thermostat, the temp may jump from 130 to 180. That way you know your thermostat is working as it should you can also easily tell if a cylinder isn't firing right. If the header tubes near the flange on 7 cylinders is 350 - 400 degrees and the 8th is only 200, there is a cylinder that isn't firing right. Plus, it's fun to use on a summer day to see just how hot the pavement really is.

A nurse filling out a chart reaches into her pocket and pulls out a rectal thermometer and says, "Some @sshole has my pen".... :lol:

Good sets of 6 points sockets. A multi-tool on your belt - have carried a Leatherman for many years and use it daily!

A good puller set for pulling steering wheel, rear axle and bearings, and we all know our neighbor will be knocking on your door to borrow it :lol:

The older I get the more light I need... I now use a head set and have light anywhere I look while under the car . Keeps the hands free and everyone knows no matter where you put a drop light it will always face the opposite of said work.

FABO...the best tool I have in my arsenal. This forum is without a doubt one of the largest collection of the most knowable mopar fans on the web. Thanks to you all......

My two post hoist. At my age and physical limitations, there is NO WAY I could pull off any of the stuff I do. It "leads" to other tools, like the home made transmission jack

id9n5w.jpg

The trans jack, so redneck, so ugly, but yet so incredibly useful...

_mg_7780cs-jpg.jpg

Pulling the engine out of the "Mini (white) Whale"

img_0864cs-jpg.jpg

For me, its those gearwrenches that can flex on one end. That, or a good set of socket extensions, adapters, and flex joints.

Hear is a good one, its not exactly in the tool box but on my list, I guy comes in to my store the other day and he has ( and is selling for 300 bucks CDN ) a small thermo imaging camera that plugs into your cell phone it is about 1" square he uses it for looking for hot spots in wires, coils, cyls etc, the image is projected directly on your smart phone screen, now I gotta say I am not a geeky tech guy at all but that is cool as hell and on my list particularly useful with multi coil set ups on some of the engines I work on.

-
Back