One year today!!!!!!!!!

-
That is an awesome accomplishment. Congratulations!!!
Luckily I've never smoked, but the weight thing is kicking my a?? to.

:salute:Way ta go Jack... my wife and I both quit 22 years ago on New Years eve... everyone at the table broke our cigarettes and laughing said we would start up again. We didn't. We bought a house instead and next year it's paid off... Congrat's man, now go buy something expensive for you and your wife with the money your saving.:salute:

Congradulations! A tough but good one to kick. I was a pack a day smoker. Started when I was 12 yrs old. Thanks to Coco's cigarette machine..... All the kids used to get them there. It's been years since I quit smoking don't remember exact year but a carton of Marboro was about 13 dollars and a little over a dollar a pack. So glad I did quit as it's what, 50 for a carton and 5 for a pack now? I quit cold turkey as money was tight and I needed more room in my budget for car parts. Smoked the last one and never picked one up since. It was rough for the first 6 months. By a year it wasn't as bad. I had gotten to the point where I didnt like the smell of a burning cigarette any more but still craved them on occasion. It's mind over matter and it's a choice to quit. Whether it's for health, financial, or other reasons you have to be focused and determined to quit other wise it won't work. So many people try patches etc... And end up going back. It's not the patch so much as the determination and will power to quit. I just flat out quit and never lit up again.

Congrats.

I was talking to a girl in a bar the other day and she asked me if I smoked after sex. I replied, "I don't know, I've never looked..."

Congrats big guy....keep up the good work.......

PETE........

Congrats on not giving in to the crave devils
AND
as for loosing weight
"Tomorrow starts a new challenge, losing 30 to 40 pounds in a year".
That should be interesting. I don't want to discourage you but the facts are that quitting smoking is easier than loosing weight and keeping it off is even harder, so we will really see how stubborn you are. If you want some advice just ask Jackie she has been on weight watchers for the past 40 years. The thing is with most people who loose weight, loose what they want but when they stop fighting against it, they gain all they lost and usually a lot more...so its a non ending battle. Jackie has been battling for the last 40+ years.
BUT DON'T LET THIS DISCOURAGE YOU...help is available if you need it.

Good to hear!

Amy kicked them, 2.5-3 years ago. Gum and lots of moral support worked for her, cold turkey.

Keep it up!

Congratulations !

Just think the other day we saw a sign advertising a carton for a mere $ 45.96 + $ 3.33 tax !

That's $ 49.29 ! That alone would make one quit ! Let alone the health risks.

Just think how that money could be spent on your car project. :)

The cost of them was never a factor to me and that is what most smokers will tell you. As long as I had money, I would just go buy them. My wife nagged me for years to quit and that isn't why either. For years I had said that some day I will quit. About a year and a half ago I decided I wasn't going to smoke anymore. I came up with a plan and so far it's working. Now, I hope phase 2 of my plan works just as good. I am into day 4 of not drinking Pepsi or eating potato chips anymore. One pound seams to have disappeared. At this pace it should take 160 days to get in the ballpark of what I want to lose. I should be so lucky. LOL

Jack

Congratulations Jack. That is a very tough row to hoe. I quit smoking cigarettes in 1993. The problem is , if there is one, I took up cigar smoking. I know, I know, just as bad !!. I'm sure that I still stink , but my lungs are in great shape ( not inhaling ). I can still run a mile. I smoke around three a day. Wife doesn,t mind. So happy life!!

See the new improved and maybe smaller Jack at the Nats...who knows you might even have to buy new clothes.
Oh boy those great shopping trips...LMAO
I hope this does not discourage you

My hardest time is in the mornings, coffee and a cig, but then all day I am good and strong in my belief of not ever smoking again, but for the last 4 days I found myself firing one up and putting it out yuck!! I am stopping smoking for my wife, she smokes. I am weak but determined again Jack. I have stopped for a long 5 months last year, I will be able to say I have quit one day soon, but until then I do have my brakes on.
I bet you are enjoying the benefits by now, breathing and tasting food better :color:

You would be surprised Mike. I don't feel any different, the food doesn't taste any better and I don't breath any better. My entire life I have had to have lung capacity tests because of childhood problems. Before I quit I always came back with the same result. Normal for a male my age and size who didn't smoke. There has been no change there as I just had a test. As far as the food goes, my wife and I are both very good cooks, so much so that it is usually a big disappointment when we go to a restaraunt. So it was hard to get our food to taste better. LOL

I hope you can quit completely Mike. There is one difference I really noticed, that is my wallet is fatter. LOL

Jack

Congratulations. I quit cold turkey in 2001, wasn't easy. I also had a huge Pepsi and Potato chip habit that I gave up and that was harder to do than to quit smoking. I went from 280 lbs. to 163 lbs. I look and feel better, however I'm sure you carry your weight much better than I, because I'm only 6 feet tall. GOOD LUCK and remember it only gets easier.

I'm 6 feet tall as well. I was a athlete when I was younger so I carry extra weight in my legs compared to the average Joe. My goal is to get down to between 200 and 210. I am also giving up the Pepsi and Chips. That is the only thing I am changing and I don't crave either. Never did, just liked them. LOL

Jack

-
Back