Pro comp head failure

-
My oldest son runs a set of edelbrocks that were bought dirt cheap. The reason: An exhaust seat had fallen out. We found 2 ex valves with cracks in them, that is what I think went first in his. We fixed them ourselves and they have been good since. I don't think it's just a procomp thing.
All I know is that there's been more complaints about procomp heads than any other brand. I follow this sort of thing close

My oldest son runs a set of edelbrocks that were bought dirt cheap. The reason: An exhaust seat had fallen out. We found 2 ex valves with cracks in them, that is what I think went first in his. We fixed them ourselves and they have been good since. I don't think it's just a procomp thing.

When I saw this post I did a little back research and found this engine to have an issue a few years ago. That condition made this engine very unhappy. That post never gave an explanation of what he found to correct the problem but I posted on it and he posted what he found. The post can be found but if he ran it enough with that condition it could be the start of this. Proper tune goes a long way towards longevity and products sometimes get blamed for improper tuning. Rich, lean, timing, etc can beat up parts if not set right.

I am not a metallurgy expert at all. But the casting quality of the Bloomer’s I have looks WAY nicer than the Eddie’s I replaced them with

I am not a metallurgy expert at all. But the casting quality of the Bloomer’s I have looks WAY nicer than the Eddie’s I replaced them with

The BPE, Sidewinder, Speedmaster, ProMax, and a few other all get shipped in on the same freighter. Then the work begins but like you said the castings are so much nicer. Not sure if they weld up the same as Edelbrock heads or not.

The BPE, Sidewinder, Speedmaster, ProMax, and a few other all get shipped in on the same freighter. Then the work begins but like you said the castings are so much nicer. Not sure if they weld up the same as Edelbrock heads or not.
You are correct. I have had conversations with speedmaster about buying bare castings by the pallet, to do in house. Same thing those other guys do. But as a one man shop, just couldn't justify building 30 sets at a time, to sell a pair on occasion

You are correct. I have had conversations with speedmaster about buying bare castings by the pallet, to do in house. Same thing those other guys do. But as a one man shop, just couldn't justify building 30 sets at a time, to sell a pair on occasion

Same company. They just changed their name

Do you know why they changed their name and a few other things.

When I called and talked to the owner of ProMax he said I wouldn’t believe how raw those heads were when they arrived. But that’s how they wanted them. I’m sure most vendors get them from Speedmaster in a semi finished condition like we do. Then they port and do a valve job like I do. Where ProMax wants to install seats, guides, cnc if ordered that way, and a valve job. All in house American jobs.

I asked around and pay close attention to what different brands of cylinder heads that people use and the most I've seen has either been edelbrock or afr,trickflow. I've never seen procomp, speedmaster, etc..

Except in his case, you have the cost of the heads, then the cost of the porting he allready had done. So probably would be 2500-3000 to replace with a fully ported new set, as compared to less than 1000 to weld, re machine, surface and replace all the worn parts...
Yeah it's aluminum! I don't understand the hesitation some people have about repairing them.

I know. But at car shows or at the rack track I look at all of the cars. There's not a big selection of parts for mopars
Going to car shows and looking at cars and building engines and racing them are two different things..
You say a lot of things that gives me the notion you have no clue what you're talking about...

Going to car shows and looking at cars and building engines and racing them are two different things..
You say a lot of things that gives me the notion you have no clue what you're talking about...
When you see what people are running on their engines says a lot. I've been around a lot of guys who have built engines and not a one of them have used procomp heads or other Chinese cylinder heads because of poor quality issues. I've built a few engines over the years put always had to use the factory heads due to budget reasons. The only guys I hear of running speedmaster or other import cylinder heads are guys on car forums, I know guy's who have built fast cars and they always ran top notch cylinder heads and pistons, etc. I may not be as experienced as some on here, but I do know my way around engines.

From high to low in quality and performance results. How would you rank, Indy, Thrickflow, Edelbrock and procomp / speedmaster?

The serious engine builder will use Brodix, Trickflow, AFR, Edelbrock, just to name a few. I realize that sometimes the budget will dictate on how fast one can go. Speedmaster and pro comp cylinder heads are the only ones that I've heard about the seats coming out. I don't know if this is a issue with other aluminum heads.

From high to low in quality and performance results. How would you rank, Indy, Thrickflow, Edelbrock and procomp / speedmaster?
Trick flow then edelbrock. Indy has improved so I've heard. Procomp / speedmaster my last choice. If I had the funds I would probably buy Brodix cylinder heads.

When you see what people are running on their engines says a lot. I've been around a lot of guys who have built engines and not a one of them have used procomp heads or other Chinese cylinder heads because of poor quality issues. I've built a few engines over the years put always had to use the factory heads due to budget reasons. The only guys I hear of running speedmaster or other import cylinder heads are guys on car forums, I know guy's who have built fast cars and they always ran top notch cylinder heads and pistons, etc. I may not be as experienced as some on here, but I do know my way around engines.
Your full of crap...

Indy are the best if you get the cnc ported heads (360-2,360-1)

TrickFlow come cnc ported and max out at 300 cfm

Speedmaster is the old Procomp and flow a hair better than Edelbrock heads.
Speedmaster also come cnc ported but can’t match a TrickFlow head.

Ok now I have my bifocals on so I can add a little more info. A TrickFlow is about maxed out from the factory as they used a small seat so you can’t go much bigger in valve size. An Edelbrock and Speedmaster type of head can take a 2.08 valve and be ported to the 320-330 cfm area so they can and do
Outflow TrickFlow heads. Even with a 2.055 valve and a competition type of valve job can flow over 310cfm. My set of Edelbrock heads can run 9.30@2850 pounds on my 408. (2.08 valve) Indy heads can go 330 plus

-
Back