Product Review EverTough Nut Splitter 65126

-

Dana67Dart

The parts you don't add don't cause you no trouble
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Taking off some stubborn nuts off of Dart #2, I decided I would rather preserve the bolt and sacrifice the nut.

I went to Harbor Freight, they don't carry any nut splitter.

Saw that Ace Hardware had a kit so over there I went. On the way I saw an O'Rileys auto parts so I figured I would give them a try.

Sure enough they had the EverTough Nut Splitter.

It looks stout and well made.

PXL_20240409_002103995.jpg

PXL_20240409_002125774.jpg

It consisted of 4 main parts.
  1. The splitter chisel
  2. The screw
  3. The body of the tool
  4. And a tiny screw to keep the chisel from rotating

PXL_20240409_002227083.jpg

On the first nut the tiny screw sheared allowing the chisel to rotate.
PXL_20240409_002243410~2.jpg

So needing to finish the job I got a drill bit that fit in the screw hole and I inserted it blunt end in first. I figured it's hardened and won't shear like the tiny screw.

Things are going ok, the chisel is staying put, and starting to cut into the nut. The drill bit slipped out and the chisel rotated again while I was tightening the bolt.

This time the chisel would not slide up and down without rotating.

I took the tool apart and found the chisel was galled to the screw.

I found a c clip inside the end of the screw and removed it.

That allowed me to remove the chisel from the screw.
PXL_20240409_002316942.jpg

I ground off the galled metal from the ball on the chisel and cleaned up the I side of the screw. I added bearing grease to the ball and socket and reassembled.

I put the drill bit back in and finished removing the nut.

When I was done I decided to see about a replacement, and went on to their website.

I found a register your product which I promptly did.

Then when I could not find a warrantee replacement request I found a contact is page and I went about describing what went wrong and that their design and assembly is flawed.

I gave them my name and address and hoped for any reply.

Days go by and nothing.

Then today a box showed up at my house.

I about fell over when I opened it and there was a new nut splitter.

Not just one but two!

I have to say I was impressed by their customer service.

This time before I use it I'll inject some bearing grease into the ball and socket joint and I might see if I can get a grade 8 replacement for the tiny screw.

I thought all those were basically the same.

Guess not.

The one I've had since the early 1990's has a spline down the inside to keep the chisel from rotating.

I bought it specifically to split nuts on axle U bolts and it's done that for decades.

Of course, the last time I needed it, I couldn't find it.

So I ordered a no name set of four different sizes from ebay.

I've only used the next to smallest one and it did "OK" but was at a tough angle to work in.

You could find an appropriately sized roll pin and replace that small screw. Roll pins are hardened and it would hold up.

The brand name should be "Nevertough" :lol: I think in 28 years selling tools I only sold one and I had to order it in.

Craftsman used to make a great nut splitter, one came in a tool kit that I received as a teen many many years ago. It sat in my tool box for years until I had a tie rod nut someone had completely rounded off until it was a complete circle. I tried the splitter and it worked like a champ before going back to the tool box, it's still there today awaiting another chance to save the day

Craftsman used to make a great nut splitter, one came in a tool kit that I received as a teen many many years ago. It sat in my tool box for years until I had a tie rod nut someone had completely rounded off until it was a complete circle. I tried the splitter and it worked like a champ before going back to the tool box, it's still there today awaiting another chance to save the day
Like a lot of the stuff in our tool boxes, when you need one, you need one.

My dad had one of these nut busters that I remember using on a 39 Pontiac four door we were hot-rodding 35+ years ago. I thought I got it when we cleaned out the house after he passed and Mom moved. I guess it fell through the cracks, and I could have used it a couple times in recent years, but found another way. They aren't as inexpensive these days as I remembered them to be.

The one I've had since the early 1990's has a spline down the inside to keep the chisel from rotating
I was shocked when I saw the tiny screw.

If they had a flat, or made the chisel square they would not need the screw.

-
Back