SBM Milodon gear drive

-

rumblefish360

I have escaped the EVIL Empire State!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey FABO, I’m looking for pictures of the Milodon Gear Drive installed on the small block. Specifically, the crank sprocket. Which way is right? Flat side facing you?

Thanks

Yes, chamfer to the main bearing side.
Thanks, like so, below then … it seemed to have the crank gear not fully engaged to the idler sprocket. I wasn’t crazy about the offset.

IMG_1562.jpeg

Will you still be able to install the oil slinger - or will it hit the idler? I bought the big block version for the 505 im building, and am wondering about being able to use the slinger.

Rumbel, flip it over and take a pic of the other side. I don't see the chamfer/ radius for the crank snout in your pic.
100_1334.JPG

100_1335.JPG

Will you still be able to install the oil slinger - or will it hit the idler? I bought the big block version for the 505 im building, and am wondering about being able to use the slinger.
Jeff, I’m working on a small block. I don’t know how much of this transfers over to a big block. I just took this out of the wrapper & have done nothing more than get this far.
(Pictured below)

I haven’t even read the instructions to it. I did the obvious and stopped to ask the question above.
image.jpg

I’ll have to agree. I think the oil slinger is out. Everything is a bit tight for the slinger, *I Think* anyway. To the point I’m not going to bother, but I’ll try because you asked. Maybe????? It’ll squeeze in behind the gear. Here is a back side of the gear shot for you.
image.jpg

IMO, as I see it, if the slinger can be installed, it’s just dripping oil on the back side of the gear. Which is solid. The holes in the sprocket would allow oil out but it would be to nowhere up front.

image.jpg

The bottom gear will have a chamfer on it to fit that radius, flip it over.

Ahhhhh HAAAA!

Now that I’m in the light…. Not daylight…. Brighter garage light,

I SEE THE LIGHT!

That ought to line up the gears. I did t see it in the daylighting inside the garage. Thought it was just flat across.
Since I never had one of these before and installed it with the raised chamfer towards the crank……

Darn thing was a minor PIA to take off being a nice and fresh gear and crank. That lively pressed fit thing….

image.jpg

I’ll let you all in on this as I read through the instructions for tomorrow’s attempt to do an installation.

Thanks everyone.

Thank for for showing the pictures. I figured the slinger was out, based upon my previous use of one of those cheap, dog-bone style gear drives. I bought the Milodon 3 gear style as im upgrading my build with a stroker kit and nicer parts. The slinger will probably contact that small idler gear still with the Milodon unit on the Big block. No big deal to leave it out!!

-
Back